close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Are there premade grip strips for the ribs on the Glock slide?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by INEEDMILK, Mar 2, 2012.

1. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Feb 1, 2012
    I tried making my own today out of skateboard grip-tape, but they didn't come out as cleanly as I would have liked.

2. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Nov 22, 2010
    BMT, TX
    Decal grips makes small skateboard tape that goes on the rear most part of the slide but it's really not much. Are you having problems racking your slide? If not I'd leave the slide free of skateboard tape.

3. kalifornia

kalifornia

Jul 25, 2010
    Patience and try again with a straight edge, razor blade and good scissors for rounding the corners and maybe some calipers. Then before you peel it spray with flat paint so it doesn't sparkle.

4. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Nov 27, 2011
    Maine
    Talon grips are excellent and cheap, if I understand your question.

5. Able 5

Able 5

Feb 25, 2008
    INEEDMILK, drink more and grow man hands...I do not understand your question.

6. NCHeel

NCHeel

Jan 20, 2006
    Charlotte N.C.
    Cut them slightly larger than needed then fit them with a hair dryer (I use a heat gun because I go extreme on everything). They will shrink slightly and become very pliable. In the slide serrations would be cool. I have only seen this.

[​IMG]

7. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Feb 1, 2012
    just in case I was unclear, this is what I am talking about

[​IMG]

mine looks similar to this, but i'd like it cleaner. if im going to do some kind of home customization like this, i want it to be perfect.

the slide grooves are more-or-less 1/8th of an inch. i was asking if there were any premade 1/8th inch strips of grip tape made specifically for the Glock slide.

8. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Feb 1, 2012
    yea i do occasionally have problems when my hands are sweaty, or it is especially humid outside. its not that i cant grip the slide, its that my fingers are not PLANTED on the slide.

from the 2 days ive had this on my gun, i like it much better. i want to get a more factory look though, which is why im asking if there are any premade strips for these valleys.

if not, ill just have to take several hours to do each one meticulously.

9. NCHeel

NCHeel

Jan 20, 2006
    Charlotte N.C.
    I like that. No strips that I know of. Best bet is to get a guillotine type paper cutter and make your own. This will give you neater looking strips than trying to freehand with scissors or a utility knife. I will be trying this tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  10. kalifornia

kalifornia

Jul 25, 2010
    a slightly soapy solution makes it easier to slide in place.

11. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou

Mar 20, 2002
    florida
    Isn't there an adapter for the backplate cover that has a "handle" type thingy?

12. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

Aug 1, 2001
    Wythe County, VA
    [​IMG]

Print this picture.

Take it to nearest Lowe's Home Improvement and Gun Shop.

Show picture to salesperson.

Tell him/her you need one of these "Dual Unlimited Module - Assist, Shooter's Slides". $2.48 by the way.

Drill two holes on top of the slide, just in front of the rear sight using the "Dual -Assist" as a drill guide.

Note: This is the ambidextrous model and allows racking the slide with either hand or with something other than your weak hand (just in case you are shot in the arm).

WARNING: This upgrade is legal only in the Unlimited category of GSSF.

Please post pictures.

:laughing:

13. Rustin

Rustin

Oct 12, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Apparently some people around here don't expose themselves to enough shooting to know that sometimes your hands get muddy/bloody/sweaty. The glock serrations are lacking. Actually I was planning to do the exact same grip tape job after someone posted that picture of that G19 in another thread. I figured the guy was just very meticulous and took the time to make it perfect. I don't know if I care that much about how it looks. After handling the M&P series with the scalloped serrations I realized I would like a little more grip. Under normal, static shooting conditions there is nothing wrong with the Glock serrations, but shoot enough in the sweltering heat and you'll want more grip.

14. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou

Mar 20, 2002
    florida
    Duh
    Genius

15. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Feb 1, 2012

yea. like i said above, indoors i have no problems getting a good grip on the slide. however i live in one of the most humid states in America. when i shoot outdoors or go to the unairconditioned indoor range around me, the slide becomes increasingly hard to hold. my hands just slip right off if i am trying a quick maneuver.

i shot it today for the first time with the grip tape and it makes a huge difference. i definitely recommend trying it.

and for the rest of you :panties:

16. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Jan 12, 2012
    Looks like you did a pretty good job to me. Does it help a lot?

17. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have to admire the ingenious solution for this potentially non-existing problem. :wavey:

Am I being harsh? Maybe I'm being too harsh.

When it's hot/humid out, and you have to rack the slide while your hands are dripping with blood, mud or sweat, try this: Grasp. Slide. More. Firmly. :)

18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Glocks serrations are the worst. Plus the slide is just plain harder to rack even when you get a good grip.

HKs and Sigs take no effort at all to rack in comparison. M&Ps too.

19. JTSmith

JTSmith Œgfdrïńëçł

Mar 22, 2008
    Albany, GA
    So it is currently a problem, but it has the potential to NOT be a problem?

No way. You should always make fun of someone when they attempt to make their gun work as they see fit.

Seriously?

To the OP: I have the decal grip kit that comes with the strips, but I may try making some like you did. I think they turned out really good :thumbsup: