close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Are suppressors worth it?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by brian321, Jan 26, 2010.

1. brian321

brian321

Jan 14, 2010
    St. Peters, MO
    I am in the market for a suppressor for a .45 Cal handgun but im not sure it is really worth the money...How quiet are they? How far away can a suppressed .45 be heard? I am doing this legal, I only ask these questions so i can get an idea about what its like.

2. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
    Every G damn penny!:jumpingjacks:

A suppressed 45 will sound great when shot wet. Currently there are only two 45 cans on the market that are hearing safe when shot dry, which is impressive. Add 5cc's water to those cans and man, its REAL quiet.

Top 45 ACP cans
    1.SilencerCo Osprey
    2.AAC TiRant
    3.SWR HEMS2(not hearing safe dry)

Top 9mm cans
    1.SilencerCo Osprey
    2.AAC TiRant
    3.AAC EVO9
    4.SWR Trident9

What host are you buying it for?

3. Fireman1291

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
  4. brian321

brian321

Jan 14, 2010
    St. Peters, MO
    Well im not sure what im buying it for yet, I have to buy the gun as well but im trying to decide on a Glock 21 or USP Tactical, Although I am leaning towards the USP, Which supressor would you say is the quietest for a .45?

5. Fireman1291

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
  6. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    IMHO, in a word, Yes.
    But I would suggest getting a 9mm suppressor.

7. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    :agree:

Unless you can fork over some big money for an AAC TiRant I would just float 1/2 the cost and get an SWR Trident-9 for your 9mm and amaze your friends, meet beautiful women, and become the life of the party.

:whistling:

8. jhall

jhall

Apr 16, 2002
    Texas
    Trident 9 FTW! Although the TiRant is awesome as well!

Also, it doesn't stop at just one. I have a 22,9mm, and 5.56 can. And I NEED a .30 cal can!! lol

9. Fireman1291

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
    Some things to consider..

The AAC Tirant series dropped in price from $1100 down to $850 to compete with the much talked about Silencerco Osprey which has a pirce of $850. All prices are MSRP.

Also the Silencerco Osprey 9mm version is reportedly quieter than the Trident9 from SWR. But this is all dependant on your goal as the trident has more mounting options and yes AAC stated that they are working on more mounts for the TiRant but its just vaporware right now. As for the osprey, you can order different threaded boosters like all the others but i dont believe they are going to make a 3-lug attachment like the Trident has...confused yet? lol

I second or third the vote for you to start with a 9mm suppressed setup 1st. A good host/can with 147grn rounds will leave a smile on your face.:supergrin:

10. r2kba

r2kba Relax

Jun 13, 2000
    South Texas

Research your area via Online Forums for ranges where NFA is used. Even if you have to drive and hour or two to make a range day. Many NFA owners will gladly meet with you at their range and let you hear what their brand has to offer. I've done it in the past. Do not buy a can based simply on what online forums tell you to do, especially ones that are rooting for a certain brand.

Listen to several MFG, including Gemtech and SWR. There are several companies that make very high quality can's at different price ranges.

Expect to pay at least $475 for a pistol caliber suppressor of 9mm or larger caliber.

For references go to ar15com and or UZITALK and you can interact directly with MFG of several suppressor makers as well as hundreds of customers. There are thousands of photos posted also. I love glocktalk, however the NFA communitiy is strong at ar15com.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  11. BMH

BMH Lifetime Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Alaska
    There are probably dozens of people firing different types of suppressors on youtube. You could get an idea of what your buying.

Just make sure it's legal in your state.

Also, if your Chief Law Enforcement Officer in the town/city that you live in will not sign off on your paperwork, then you could own one through a trust. Good info is here: http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=107341

12. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    I don't trust youtube videos on silencers. Some match with reality, others don't.

As an example look at the silenced AK videos.
    The only way you can make an AK silent is to turn off the gas system. When the gas system is on, it is like shooting a revolver, the noise escapes through the gap. But you will find videos where someone is shooting a silent AK. This doesn't work.

13. Fireman1291

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
    I have the new FLIP HD(720P) camera, and it takes great video along with stereo sound, and it seems the hi/lo filters on it are good cause it displays a very close example of what the can/host sounds like when shot in person. Ill be shooting most of my cans tomorrow, ill take video and post them up. :)

14. brian321

brian321

Jan 14, 2010
    St. Peters, MO
    Sounds good i will be interested in them, I also just god my taxes back so im ready to buy something i just dont know what yet:supergrin:

15. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    I posted 2 videos on youtube. Same can, same rounds, two different cameras.

One camera you hear it as it is, the other one you get a muffled pop and hear the action cycle.

Just don't expect one to be nearly as quiet as Hollywood, unless it is a .22LR

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  16. hatidua

hatidua

Nov 21, 2004
    right here
    To the OP - find someone local to you that will let you shoot theirs. Even one time will likely have you running to get your paperwork in order.

However, be very careful! NFA items can be very very addictive......I don't know too many people that stop after buying their first one.

17. brian321

brian321

Jan 14, 2010
    St. Peters, MO
    Buying weapons/firearms/ammo is already addictive i cant even imagine what it would be like if i bought a f/a weapon. But i think my first is gonna be a suppressor. I hope i dont get to addicted:whistling:

18. Fireman1291

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
    lol, yeah right...haha. Dude, let me tell ya something, its the worst crack ever. Last year I bought my 1st one, a .22lr can. I told myself its all I needed, blah blah. Fast foward 12months...I now own 6 cans. WTF. lol.

Hang on, its gonna be a wild ride.

19. brian321

brian321

Jan 14, 2010
    St. Peters, MO
    :rofl:I will probably be in the same boat as you before to long LOL. Do you own any fully autos yet?

20. r2kba

r2kba Relax

Jun 13, 2000
    South Texas

Yep This varies widely. Any semi auto is noisy without subsonic ammo, and even the bolt clanking is louder than the ammo in some cases. The hissing of the gass is not necessarily what is what causes the noise.

The hollywood quiet is not possible in most cases unless your using subsonic ammo and a boltgun.

On youtube videos, it depends of course. The terrain, the quality of the mic on the camera, etc. A proper way to shoot video is to use either an unsuppressed gun next to it, or to use alternating subsonic/non subsonic ammo so the viewer can perceive the difference. Thats the only real way to judge how a can performs in video. Video will give a pretty good general idea though as long as the viewer understands a few variables in video posted online.

I'll post some video of my TALON upper when I get it in and try to have someone else shooting also to give better idea of whats going on.