close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Really Different?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Ljutic, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Ljutic

Ljutic
    Expand Collapse

2. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

Q: Are Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Really Different?

A: Apparently not.

3. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

The bullets post expansion look different but the velocities are pretty darn close.

If you have a Shield .40 or CM/PM40 to do the same test with .40 I think that would be interesting.

4. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall
    Expand Collapse
    HildabeastHater

Great test, article, and video. Thanks for sharing!:wavey:

But these tests always invite the ritualistic picking of the nits, so I'll start:

So the short barrel gold dot (sbgd) penetrated about 1 1/2" less than the regular gold dot (gd)? That might or might not be typical, or critical.

How expensive is this jello (sorry, but I love to call it jello)?

Wouldn't it be better to repeat the tests a couple of times and post the average penetration, as was done with the velocity tests? Maybe it's too expensive?

How does penetration and expansion in this new clear stuff compare to conventional ballistic geletin (oops, I mean jello)?

Why no denim over the entry wound, like other testers often use? In case the targets aren't nudists?

Got any links to anybody else's tests, maybe in water jugs or wet newspapers or clay? I know these are less desirable testing media, but other data points might be useful.

Both shots knocked the target back upon impact, was there a measurable difference?
    Any perceived difference in cost, recoil, blast, or more likely flash?

Based on your tests, I'd buy whichever I found cheaper and not worry about it. Again, thanks for sharing.

5. M 7

M 7
    Expand Collapse

6. happyguy

happyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Man, I'm Pretty

Looks like you got more expansion out of the short barrel load which would explain why it got less penetration.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

7. G21MAN

G21MAN
    Expand Collapse

That was one of the most informative tests that I have seen using my carry load (53617). I have a G26 with a 3.5 inch bbl, and I choose to use the regular GDHP due to the street record with NYPD. It's very good to see that my carry load expanded with a 3 inch bbl. This gives me confidence in my chosen load.:wavey:

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Exactly.

I like that clear gel. Maybe we can convince tnoutdoors9 to start using that!

9. Ljutic

Ljutic
    Expand Collapse

He's the guy that told ME about it. It just turned out that the company that makes it is just down the road from me so I got to work with it first. I know he's watching my progress with it and I'm happy to share with him just as he shared info with me about SIM-TEST. Can never have too much data and I don't think either of us is in it for the money.

10. Ljutic

Ljutic
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the compliment.

Here's another confidence booster for you then. Tested earlier this year using SIM-TEST. http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2012/05/ballistics-testing-speer-gold-dot.html

#10 Ljutic, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  11. Ljutic

Ljutic
    Expand Collapse

Just starting to get my feet wet with .40 even though it's my favorite carry caliber. I test with a PM40 and G27. I think I might like the Shield 40 if they fattened the grip a bit vs. the Shield 9.

12. Ljutic

Ljutic
    Expand Collapse

Thanks very much for letting me pick back at the nits. I try to consider all angles before publishing anything, but I often miss stuff and try to include it in future tests. Really appreciate the feedback.

Glad you decided to to pick the cheaper of the two and feel good about that decision. In the end, it's always a personal choice and I hope folks will test in their specific pistol before trusting any ammo. For me, I just like to create the data and let folks make their own decisions based on that data.

13. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

The PM40 and G27 is more than fine. Thanks for taking the time performing the tests.

14. eb07

eb07
    Expand Collapse
    Sharkin'

Great data thank you.

15. Billy10mm

Billy10mm
    Expand Collapse

16. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

Why would anyone want to take an inordinate chance of bullet passthrough that might endanger, wound, or even kill an innocent bystander?

The human body usually isn't even 12" thick front-to-back and even the Speer Short Barrel Gold Dot penetrated 14" in the OP's test with a 3.1" barrel.

Sure, that's only gel without obstructions like bone but I'll take a little less penetration than 14" if I'm going to get expansion and complete energy dump.

17. Kalmah

Kalmah
    Expand Collapse
    Supreme Member

Love your website. Most people do testing with full size handguns, so it's good to see how the smaller ones perform. I carry a PM9 most of the time, so I like to see results from barrels of that size.

Have you done any testing of the 147gr HSTs or Rangers?

18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Did you even read that document?

It's:

1) Penetration
    2) Permanent cavity
    3) Temporary cavity
    4) Fragmentation

Not:

1) Penetration
    2) Penetration
    3) Penetration
    4) Penetration

#18 cowboy1964, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  19. chrisbritt15

chrisbritt15
    Expand Collapse

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWAw62lcB4M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWAw62lcB4M[/ame]

20. Ljutic

Ljutic
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the feedback on the blog.

I've been buying up 147 test boxes whenever I see them. I think I must have close to a dozen by now so I should start on them soon. Would like to do a few 40 tests first.

#20 Ljutic, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012