close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Are SP berets optional now?

Discussion in 'The US Air Force Forum' started by Herknav, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Herknav

Herknav

May 11, 2007
    I ask out of curiosity, as the SPs at Quagmire seem to be about 50/50 organizational ball caps vs berets.

Thanks,
    Herk

2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Those, if they're wearing SFS ball caps, are presumably augmentees. We still wear berets all the time except deployed or in the field, our augmentees wear the basic BDU cap or a SFS ballcap.

3. meeko

meeko

Apr 15, 2006
    Years ago (1987) when SAC was the king we wore berets from OCT-APR and ball caps APR-OCT. The Arkansas heat in the summer was way too hot for a beret. They might look all neat but they are very impractical and overrated in the heat or sun!!

4. MrMurphy

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    I agree. One of our flight commanders (now a Captain, previously a SSgt) told me about how his old squadron in CA had done the same. I find them too hot in summertime and don't block the sun, and in the winter only keep 1/3 of your head warm. They look good but are a fairly useless form of headgear. :)

5. Herknav

Herknav

May 11, 2007
    Thanks for clearing that up. FYI--They are SPS hats. I figured either piece of headgear was equally useless for protection from the elements, though.

6. MrMurphy

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    If I had it my way we'd all be wearing patrol caps with subdued SFS flashes. We don't need to be "identified readily"... it's an AF base. If a guy with a rifle and a tac vest is yelling commands at you, 99% likely he's a cop...... and they know that.

7. Now that is a good idea. That means it will never happen though.

8. MrMurphy

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    The flashes were made, because some got "out" and I bought a pair at the Lackland clothing sales store. The idea stalled at the time, it does need to be brought up again.

9. I have seen some ball caps with subdued flashes on them. Several people in my squadron bought them a few years ago. I have no idea where they got them though.

10. FEDLEO

FEDLEO Spread Out!

Aug 13, 2006
    State of disbelief
    At Scott they are letting the Augees wear Berets. I myself don't agree with it but I am nobody. Guess that is why they didn't ask me :rofl:

Hey, Packinheavy when the weather breaks give me a yell we can go kill some more paper enemies.

11. Will do! I have a few new toys I have put together that need to be tested.

12. Sluf01

Sluf01 NRA Life Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Imperial, PA.
    Back in my old SP days (both in TAC and SAC) it was the Base Commander decision for Beret or Ballcap wear.. Usually for home station it was the ballcap for summerwear, and for winter it was that Blue Russian looking "Hat" with the built in earmuff thing, but if we went TDY, it went back to straight beret, but we packed our ballcaps just in case..

13. MrMurphy

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Whoever let augmentees wear berets should be shot.

14. meeko

meeko

Apr 15, 2006
    I have no clue why SP's ever started wearing berets. Berets should be done away with for SP/SF's head gear. I say that as a 20 year SP member. Berets are less than useul. They just make the 19 year old kid think he is all that and a bag of chips and then try to tell people at home he is. SP's are not an offensive combat unit by trade. I realize we do augment army units time to time but a two week training course here or there does not make you ready. That is something you need to do full time to be really any good at.

15. ks farmboy

ks farmboy

Nov 1, 2007
    FL
    whoever thought of the idea of augmentees can join them. we have the worst civilian/augmentees that i have ever seen. they wear the uniform now, they sure dont need to wear the beret.

16. MrMurphy

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Our AF augs aren't bad. Never dealt with the DOD/Fed/Civvy ones, I'm in USAFE.

17. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Mar 23, 2001
    WV
    When I was an ANG augmentee right after 9/11, everyone (including the "real" SPs) wore ball caps. Although my AFSC was in maintenance, I am a former civilian LEO so I think I carried my weight. But we did have our share of folks I wouldn't have trusted with real bullets.

18. ks farmboy

ks farmboy

Nov 1, 2007
    FL
    after being on base for 3.5 years, my wife and i and two other couples went to the bowling alley on friday night. after being there awhile, the "SP" civilians moved in next to us. after them having a few pitchers between them, still wearing their BDU's, they got into a yelling match with a drunk. no biggy, but they were yelling that they "are cops" and "you better listen to me." i got a huge problem with someone who is "held" to a higher authority than others that wears their uniform to go drink in. HUGE PROBLEM WITH THAT. anywho, another guy came in, and had a ballcap on. i noticed when he walked out, he had stripes on his shirt. first one that i have seen here. so im guessing that it is optional here.

19. meeko

meeko

Apr 15, 2006
    It's amazing how they are all brave when they are in numbers, pack mentality! Just think of the BS stories and exagerations those type of meat heads tell at home.

20. MrMurphy

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Our guys sure as hell don't drink in uniform, even after duty hours. Makes me wonder who they were.

I'm all for the subdued flash on a patrol cap, but that'll probably happen right after the Air Force becomes part of the Marine Corps.