close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Are magnum primers needed for AA#7 and AA#9?

Discussion in '10mm Reloading Forum' started by alpha6164, Aug 28, 2010.

1. alpha6164

alpha6164 alpha6164

Feb 16, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Some loading data i see say mag primers are a must and i see lots of info that mag primers may just increase pressure more than do much of anything else. What is the consensus here on these two powders?

2. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr Silver Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    The use of magnum primers does increase peak pressures and velocities, but they should be used by us amateurs (without pressure-testing equipment) only if they were used by the testing organization. Substituting a magnum primer for a standard one could increase pressures to dangerous levels.

3. FLSlim

FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    +1 I've never used mag primers for any powder in the 10 and from what I read they would only marginally boost velocity. If you choose to experiment with them, follow standard practice of starting with lite loads, increase a couple of tenths per batch of 10 rds, and look for pressure signs telling you to stop and back off.

4. Mike5560

Mike5560

Mar 6, 2005
    Don't see why just standard large primers wouldn't be good enough for any 10mm load, since .40 S&W uses small primers just fine.

5. cwb

cwb

May 24, 2010
    I have tested my hot #9 loads with both and didn't see enough difference to make it worth the cost difference.