Are HK's Really Superior?

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by ColCol, Jun 1, 2012.

1. I like the PPQ, and would buy one if I weren't committed to the Glock platform for competition and carry. It's not an HK though. Not in the same league.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I didn't even know you could get a 30 round mag for an HK handgun. It's absolutely irrelevant to me.

3. I agree.

4. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

The P7 is not a poorly designed pistol by any means. Rather, it is quite ingenious. The designer Helmut Welde also went on to design, amongst other things, the LEM trigger for other HK pistols.

The P7 was purpose built as a police duty sidearm, meant for quick and accurate fight stopping shots fired at close distances. It is not intended to be range gun. How many eight round P7 magazines can one reasonably carry as spares? Perhaps two or three. Within that limit, heating of the frame becomes a non-issue.

Despite the grip angle of about 110 degrees, which much like a Glock sits very low in the hand, the cartridges feed at an almost horizontal angle into the chamber. This greatly increases feeding reliability.

The chamber flutes reduce carbon build up and the subsequent possibility of spent cases "sticking" in the chamber, as well aiding in positive extraction/ejection. A P7 will continue to function with a missing or broken extractor. If you attempt this with a Glock you will have a single shot pistol.

Incorporated into the design is a cocking lever as well as other redundant drop safety measures. Even though it is striker fired this makes the P7, by design, inherently very safe to carry and use.

Why is the P7 no longer made? The answer is simple... the cost of manufacture per unit.

Glocks are great pistols. I carry one daily. But to my mind, disparaging the actual marvel of engineering that is the P7 is simply folly.

"If one is going to carry an underpowered pistol (9mm) he should carry the neatest and handiest one available, and that is the H&K P7." ~ Jeff Cooper

5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy *********
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Agreed.

The P7 filled it's design criteria perfectly.

Because it does not meet YOUR standard as a range blaster does not mean it's poorly designed.

Considering the average Euro police officer carries (if any!) one, maximum two spare mags.....high round counts are not a worry when the P7 was designed.

6. ok, Fine I am sorry for releasing my opinion.

7. PPQ is also another very fine weapon the only thing that annoys me about that is the fact that Walther USA And Walthert Germany Clearly states not ever use any +P, especially +P+, as for +P+ pk that is one thing BUT as for regular +P? Come in old days they were all hotly loaded now there compromising a bit tooooo much to say the very least.
    HK , FN Herstal, Glock and my god even Kahr states you can clearly use +P anything less then that I wouldnt want any part of it no offense.

8. Good point pck50. Another HK advantage is their big safety factor. +P+? No problem. Heck, you can even shoot .45 Super in an HK45.

#48 Clusterfrack, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  9. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Are H&Ks really superior?

Yes.

Next question.

10. so, because the manufacturer recommends not to use +p or +p+ it discourages you? even when there are plenty of capable standard velocity rounds for range and self defense use? or is it a case of 'if the boom is bigger it must be a better round dude. i want a .50cal desert eagle so i can blow arms off or make holes the size of a dinner plate if someone tries attack me. wait, there are no +p+ .50cal rounds?'

[​IMG]

11. LOL, as for a 50 had it then I got a 500 Mag.
    chck out this load, LOL.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=97

And yes your right becuase the manufacturer recommends not to use it that means the firearm is uncapable of handling it depending on various scenarios there may be a time I may need to use outside ammo supposse i can only get my hands on +p so I should not use it just get killed sorry pal I believe in appropriate interchangeabbility of various different loads with in a caliber if you disagree again its in eaches different opinion you may not need it others may need it, other way have q very nice day.

12. Totally Undeniable I totally agree.

13. I have held and dry fired a PPQ. It was nice from what I could tell. I just have a feeling the new FN's are gonna be very popular.

14. birda40

birda40 Woody

I've enjoyed the P-30 a few months now, truly a nice feel , can't recall a FTF or any that goes with. Great shooter, never really noticed the quality till this post. Good post at that.

15. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

My EDC for ages was a Glock 22. I loved it. Good gun, went bang every time, pretty accurate. Then I got my USP. The G22 lives in my kitchen drawer now.

As mentioned before, it's amazing to watch this gun spit brass, like they're on a invisible string. 1:30-2:30 depending on the ammo, like clockwork...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lol, even when shooting with a shattered left wrist, and a dislocated right.
    [​IMG]

There's something so reassuring in the consistency of it. Quality, not excuses.

16. An HK is a BMW. Glock is a Ford. Both are quality, but there is a difference.

17. H&K.........the best $600 dollar pistol $900 can buy!!!

18. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

HK, The best $900+ polymer that runs like a $900+ gun should!

Or, spend $1,200+ on a Kimber that jambs, $550 on a Glock that has issues, ect.

I'll spend the extra money and keep my Sig and HK pistols.

Yes, they are that much better.

Thank you! :wavey:

#58 NEOH212, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  19. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Agree. HK = BMW: Pricy, refined, good all around.

Glock = Ford: Mostly reliable, Affordable, sinking quality, has issues that don't exist according to the manufacture but everyone knows about, ect.

Yes, I agree with you! :wavey:

20. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Yup! :cool:

Those who have never owned a HK just don't get it and won't admit it!

:supergrin: