close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are canteens (with cups) still a good way to carry water on your person?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by lonewolf01, Feb 9, 2012.

1. lonewolf01

lonewolf01
    Expand Collapse

Are they still used or is there a modern improvement? I like the fact that it comes with the stainless steel cup for cooking.

Edited to add this: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Guyot-Designs-Stainless-Steel-Bottle/dp/B001O7GPAC"]Amazon.com: Guyot Designs Stainless Steel Water Bottle - The Backpacker: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21JSKofx-rL.@@AMEPARAM@@21JSKofx-rL[/ame]

It's a bottle that you can boil water in directly if necessary. Good reviews.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 lonewolf01, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. quake

quake
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I still have a couple old canteen/cup/stove kits, but don't use them anymore. Nothing "wrong" with them, just heavier than I think necessary anymore; plus the canteen (as far as I know) can't take hot liquids like a nalgene or similar bottle can do. You can pour boiling water into a nalgene; don't know how an old plastic military canteen would fare if you did that.

Another approach that works is to simply use a nalgene bottle with a nested nalgene cup. Glacier is the brand of cup I have; there may be others as well. If you don't mind some home-tinkering, you can make up a nesting stove to go with the setup as well, from a 12-ounce coffee can:

Nalgene bottle, glacier cup, and home-made stove, nested:
    [​IMG]

Cup, and the stove tipped up to show the vent/airflow holes:
    [​IMG]

How the cup sits on the stove during use. Stove can burn esbit, trioxane, pieces from fire-log starters, or even just twigs. Basically, anything combustible you want to stick in there:
    [​IMG]

Wish I could claim it as my idea, but it's one I picked up from another forum a long time ago.

3. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

Nalgene + Glacier is how i roll in my Jumbo.

I have a bladder in my pack

And a CANTEEN on my shoulder!

+/- to each.

4. Commander_Zero

Commander_Zero
    Expand Collapse

Nalgene bottle and a Snow Peak cup/pot.....been really pleased with the combo.

5. bdcochran

bdcochran
    Expand Collapse

The Infantry Equipment Board during the First World War adopted an aluminum one quart canteen and matching cup for use by soldiers fighting in trenches across Europe. It was changed to stainless steel from aluminum; included a screw top cap; and was given an insulated cover to keep water cooler.

By the Vietnam Conflict in the 1960s, the U.S. Military had moved away from metal canteens in favor of the M1961 olive drab polyethylene plastic canteen. The new plastic ones were found to retain water better

Combat missions in hot, dry areas of the Middle East and Asia – coupled with better knowledge of hydration – have led to new approaches to keep soldiers properly hydrated in extreme conditions.

Today, soldiers use a variety of canteens and hydration systems. These range from standard one quart plastic canteens to larger two quart canteens and large canvass water buckets. Soldiers also have the option of carrying "hydration packs. There is even an option of carrying a canvass "bladder" that is equipped with a hose and can carry 2.5 liters of water.

6. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

Love that home made stove, Quake. Clever dude you are. Must make one of those for meself.

Now how do I get that large hole in the top?

#6 Bolster, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  7. quake

quake
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

First, not my idea; I got it from a guy named mrostov on another forum years ago. I'm just clever enough to copy good ideas. :)

Hole saw, going slow, for top hole and large side holes. Normal 1/8" drill bit for the small holes around the top edge.

8. Tom Kanik

Tom Kanik
    Expand Collapse

A canteen and cup got me through a tour in VietNam, and I still prefer them. However, I prefer a metal canteen.

9. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter
    Expand Collapse

i rely on bladders for hydration but do keep a usgi plastic canteen and metal cup for cooking. i use the canteen to treat water chemically so i dont get dirty water in my bladders. i will transfer the water once it has been treated.

i have been thinking of moving to a nalgene and cup like Quake showed above but for now, this works for me.

#9 M1A Shooter, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  10. lonewolf01

lonewolf01
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the reply guys.

11. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

I usually use a bladder, but I also run a cup with a steel water bottle nested in it like quake has. Those wide mouth steel sports bottles are pretty cheap these days, and you can boil water in them just like a pot if needed. I know you can do the same with a "full" Nalgene, but that always kind of creeped me out with chemical exposure and the possible health risk. Also I would avoid Canteens and Cups made out of aluminum. Spend the extra money to get the steel or Ti version.

12. RichJ

RichJ
    Expand Collapse

I also have the Glacier cup nested in a Nalgene bottle and that set up works very well. I don't use a stove though. I either just spread out some campfire coals and place it directly on them or, if I use something like Esbit, I'll set up some small rocks and set it on top with the fuel underneath.

A scotchbright pad will shine the bottom back up if it blackens any, but I don't do that in the field. A wet leaf works just fine to remove any ash or carbon that gets on it. I like my cup shiny and new looking when I'm done but most people don't care if it burnishes a little.

13. IV Troop

IV Troop
    Expand Collapse

Many may not know this but Nalgene makes bottles shaped like the traditional GI canteen bottles. I have a couple in various colors. I like the shape of them and they fit well in some of my packs. If you have an old GI cup, but do not like the taste of the water that you get from the GI canteens, then the Nalgenes would be a solution.

Hope this info helps

14. lonewolf01

lonewolf01
    Expand Collapse

Yes, very helpful. It also received great reviews on amazon.com and is BPA free plastic. Get the cup and cover with it and it looks good.

15. Big Bird

Big Bird
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I always have two ways to make water and several ways to store it. At home I have about 4 or 5 ways to make water and a couple hundred gallons of storage available.

In my BOB I prefer the bladder as primary and a couple of Nalgene bottles as backup.

At home I prefer my 40 gallon blue barrels as primary and smaller 7 gallon plastic jugs as backup.

At home my primary water maker is a Royal Berkey. Followed by lots of bleach. Followed by a small hand pumped filter.

In my GHB the primary water maker is a Katadyn Pocket Filter followed by water purification tablets (PUR).

You have to look at water from a system standpoint not from a thing your need to store/carry standpoint. You cannot carry or store enough water to be relevant for more than a few days and maybe a week or two at home unless you have some huge storage capacity for potable water.

16. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla
    Expand Collapse

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-Tritan-Canteen-Narrow-Bottle/dp/B001U03VEQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1328986472&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Nalgene BPA Free Tritan Oasis Canteen 32 Oz Narrow Mouth Bottle: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/318WNPx5R6L.@@AMEPARAM@@318WNPx5R6L[/ame]

I like them and they fit molle canteen pouches.

#16 humanguerrilla, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  17. IV Troop

IV Troop
    Expand Collapse

Yep,

That is exactly what I have. Plus the red ones. Pretty handy.

18. Javelin

Javelin
    Expand Collapse
    Got Glock?
    Silver Member

That's a good plan TBH.

I have some RFI military issued Skillcraft Camelbak. I never used it because I had a real Camelbak issued as well. But I like the Skillcraft as the insert is a 5qt OD green blivot w/ military screw head and heavy cord. I mean you can literally clean it out just like a 5qt only that it is oblong shaped.

I am keeping it for that rainy day I really need to pack water. :wavey:

19. WolfNotSheep

WolfNotSheep
    Expand Collapse
    Tackleberry

I still carry a US 1qt canteen with cup and stove. The cup fits a package of Ramen noodles perfectly and is just the right size. I also EDC a stainless steel, single walled water bottle. This stays with me at work and in the car. I got it at Walgreens for $5.99 and it can be boiled in.

20. dirtdart504

dirtdart504
    Expand Collapse

I also still carry my USGI 1qt canteen with cup and stove. The canteen can hydrate me if I am in a Chem/Bio enviroment and in my pro mask (hope I am not walking out). In a non-Chem/bio Enviroment he canteen Cup is just perfect for heating up a cup of something warm to make the mornings suck less