close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Are Bean Bags an effective way to stop an intruder ?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Gasoil4ever, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Gasoil4ever

Gasoil4ever Glock Frog

Nov 14, 2006
    I live in a country that's not mine.

Knowing that foreigners are the prefered target for home robberies over here.

Knowing that i really don't want to even try a local jail and that the rich foreigner will always be wrong if blood is shed.

Are Bean Bags or Plastic OO Buck an efficient solution to face potential threat ?

My issue is that my home door are strong and i have mesh at the windows so the only way intruders can come in is by/through the roof.

So the issue is that when they are in, they can't go out...

So if ever it happens i have to be able to KO them so that i can handcuff them until the cops come in (rater slowly anyways...)

Whats your opinion ?

2. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

Sep 8, 2002
    dixie
    only if you hit them in the head with it, in which case it could be potentialy fatal anyway.

3. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    They're 'less lethal'. Sometimes they are lethal.

And no, i'd never COUNT on one stopping someone. I've seen several failures. Cops using LL rounds always have live-round backup shooters.

If you pull the trigger on someone, it better be lethal.

Otherwise, a cricket bat or baseball bat is about as effective (and about as 'less' lethal).

4. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    I wouldnt trust them. If you are that worried about having to defend yourself and then going to jail you should move to another country.

5. bpe5008

bpe5008 TSD Blackbelt

Aug 25, 2010
    Hershey, Pa
    I have often thought of this question myself. It is tempting to use an option that would limit the legal consequences. But is it worth the risk of compromising overall effectiveness?

6. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    What he said.

7. Gasoil4ever

Gasoil4ever Glock Frog

Nov 14, 2006
    From what i read on this forum its more or less the same in the US... people start thinking about trials every time they pull their gun out... so its something everybody should be concerned with...

Wait type of failure are we talking about ?

Baseball bat is good, here its more the machete though but its a much closer range...

I am thinking of having my shotgun fed this way :

3 rubber OO Buckshots, 2 birdshots, 1 OO reduced recoil buckshot

That way i am thinking you have some gradation in the use of letal force

8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    If you use a firearm, there is NO gradation.

Use of a firearm is a major step in the use of force.

If aiming a shotgun at a guy does not stop him, and he's on your property, and he is enough threat to fire at, you better be loaded hot. Period.

If you need a less-lethal deterrent, you need the party-size pepper spray, preferably a strong one like Fox Labs 5.3. White light (blinding) also works.

Mixing less and lethal in the same gun is a disaster waiting to happen. NO police department anywhere in the world I'm aware of ever mixes less and lethal in the same gun. Most LL guns are painted bright orange, etc so you don't screw up and grab the wrong one.

Again: Baseball bat, pepper spray, shotgun. Not all at once.

9. I lived in a foreign country where even their own citizens who had used firearms to defend their homes against armed intruders had been sent to jail for killing the intruders.

My choice for home defense was a suppressed .22 semi auto. I had a couple of tarps for camping and a nice shovel. Never needed any of them.

10. I'd be mad if someone shot a beanbag at me.:steamed:

If I couldn't retreat, and if he was still shooting beanbags at me, what choice would I have?

Don't toss pebbles at a wild animal if you are both in the same cage.

:okie:

11. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    You hit them and they continue to do what they want to do.

They are really only good for hitting someone then pouncing on them. It gives you a few seconds for them to stop being a threat long enough for you to close the distance. That is why they are deployed in teams in LE. Somebody pops them with a LL round, another person has a firearm out, and a third (and 4th if possible) has handcuffs ready.

They are why Taser came out with the shotgun rounds at $150 a pop to Taser people from a distance. It gives an arrest team 30 seconds to arrest someone. Of course the cost of qualifing and training is insane so one one really uses them.

12. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Indiana
    I have 8+1 OO buck's in my shotgun. No less lethal options. Especially if they have a lethal option.

Posted Via Outdoor Hub Mobile App for iPhone

13. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Absolutely.

What, no lime?

14. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    as always, consult your local laws, and choose your actions accordingly.

There is a great thread on this. But again, is is American based.

15. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    I would not wanna put my life on bean bag rounds. I think I take a baseball bat or some other solid object like that.

16. Too many folks getting way too ethnocentric.
    Bean bags/rubber buck shells are less lethal, not non-lethal, as pointed out. And they are a pain-compliance tool. I don't know the legal environment in Cameroon, but my experience overseas is always that it is better to hurt a person than to kill them. I think you have a valid option there with an escalation of force. If they comply with the beanbag pain, great. If they don't, another pump of the shotgun allows you to use a more lethal option. The caveat would be that I would not use the beanbag unless I was already in a deadly force situation, as that is a possible outcome. And I would go directly from beanbag to 00 Buck, no intermediate bird shot.

17. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A

These were among my thoughts regarding a self-defense scenario in a foreign country.

I am reminded of that elderly gentleman in the U.K. who awoke in his bedroom to find it also occupied by three hooligans armed with baseball bats. He managed to reach for a shotgun and proceeded to kill one of the hooligans with it.

That man is currently serving a life sentence in prison. He very likely would have walked in any court in the U.S.

Definitely, one should make decisions based on their own personal commitment and needs -- but local laws need to be factored into those decisions, and one can choose to follow or ignore them based on their own discretion and desire to survive at all costs.

18. Leigh

Leigh

May 22, 2000
    Eastern Kentucky
    Country's specific laws aside, once the trigger has been pulled, and a firearm has been discharged, you have just chosen/forced to use deadly physical force.

19. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    If that's the same case I'v read about, he shot two of them. The second hoodlum he shot survived, got out of jail, then sued the homeowner for shooting him. The criminal won the lawsuit. The UK really is disgusting when it comes to self defense. :steamed: