Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

are "500rnd break-in period" a figure of speech

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by raven11, Nov 7, 2010.

1. raven11

Jan 27, 2009
    I took my sig 1911 out to the range yesterday and i fired the first magazine i had one failure to go into battery on the third round , but after that hangup the next +250 were failure free

can i call my 1911 gtg or am i going to need 250rnds to call it a keeper?

btw.. i can see why everyone is telling me shooting .45ACP out of a 1911 is addicting, i'm going to start reloading pretty soon :supergrin:
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    If you are going to carry it I'd put at least another 250 through it.

3. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    "Break-in" is another term for mating parts. When I get a new gun, I watch tv and rack the slide over and over. You'll get the same results and save a ton on ammo.
  4. pistolwrench

pistolwrench Dremel jockey

Jul 27, 2009
    " I watch tv and rack the slide over and over."

Sanford and Son reruns.
    Over and over......and over..........

5. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    "I'm calling you ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies."
  6. BWT

Apr 27, 2010
    400 is minimum that I shoot before I'll carry on or off duty in an auto. If there are any failures I will shoot more and reconsider on carry if its more than just an anomaly. Revolver you can get by on shooting less most the time.
  7. Texas Bulldog

Texas Bulldog

Oct 28, 2009
    were those 250rds your CARRY ammo?

If it wasn't then i personally wouldn't carry it yet. I would put AT LEAST 200rds of your choice of carry ammo through it on top of the 250 you already did and if it performs flawlessly, then i would call it good and carry it.

Absolute minimum for me is 500 of regular ball ammo with a ton of hand cycles while watching tv and THEN 200-300 of my carry ammo.

8. raven11

Jan 27, 2009
    i can't carry, i live in Illinois:crying: it is just a range toy for me

it was 200 rnds of WWB and 50rnds of Remington
  9. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Somewhere in the air.
    It's a shame that residents of Illinois and Wisconsin don't enjoy the same rights as other American citizens.
  10. nolt

nolt DONT PANIC!

Aug 4, 2009
    i remember that lol
  11. Meeteetse

Meeteetse God's Country

Dec 26, 2004
    USA - Wyo & Texas

If it is a range gun, I wouldn't worry about "breaking it in". If it is for personal defense in your home, I would shoot as often as possible but given what you have already done, I wouldn't worry about a specific number of rounds. If you intend to shoot competitively, I would just keep practicing. Games are not life and death.

Personally I have Glocks that have a couple of hundred rounds through them and I feel perfectly fine and trust them completely. I have had a couple of 1911's that I wouldn't carry even after 1000+ down range. Slide racking is a lot cheaper.
  12. brisk21

May 13, 2008
    Glocks either run or they don't. A 1911 may jam a few times in the first 500 rounds or so and then be 100 percent relaible after that.
  13. cole

cole Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Agreed. Metal slide and metal frame (e.g. 1911) = break in. Poly frame (e.g. Glock) = not.
  14. Disregarded9-side

Disregarded9-side Armchair IPSCer

Oct 18, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'm a 1911 newb, but I've recently read in a couple places that dry racking the slide could be bad for the pistol/cause additional wear (I guess if it didn't wear at all then there'd be no point of the breaking-in cycling)...any truth to that? After it's broken in do you avoid dry racking the slide? Thanks.
  15. brisk21

May 13, 2008

You may rack the slide with an empty chamber, just don't let it slam foreward full force on an empty chamber. I.E. don't "slingshot" the slide. You can pull it back and "ride" it foreward all you want.
  16. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    i use a slurry (JB Bore Compound and oil) when racking the slide instead of firing for break-in. never had an issue and started to carry guns in as little as 200rds. for the most part either the gun runs or it doesn't. if it doesn't fix what's not working right away. the only guns that i had issues with were my EMP (tight extractor that i adjusted in the first 50rds) and my STI Edge (mags needed tuning) after i made the appropriate adjustments they have been 100% since then. my others ran 100% from the get go.
  17. Contact

May 4, 2006
    At a price of $25-35 for a box of 20 self defense rounds and $35 bucks for a box of 100 range ammo , I have a hard time believing that MOST people (despite what they say) have invested upwards of $550 in ammo just to throw downrange before carrying their carry piece.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, to each his own and if you have the money, then by all means have at it.

For me personally, before I carry a gun for protection, I'll put a couple hundred rounds through it and maybe 2 boxes of carry ammo. Although most of my carry guns are 40s&w, which have never had a problem feeding HP ammo, since the round is already a flat nosed round.
  18. Texas Bulldog

Texas Bulldog

Oct 28, 2009

I carry Speer Gold Dot's in everything stashed around my house and carry (actually a few are loaded with Winchester Ranger but those are in 50rd boxes as well for 15-30 per box). Speer Gold dots are sold in 20 and 50rd boxes. WHY anyone would buy 20rd boxes is just stupid IMO since the price is so close for the 50rd box.

so yeah, 500rds of my carry ammo runs me anywhere from 200-300 bucks. that is if i run 500rds of just my carry ammo.

I usually run 200-300 of FMJ just to get the handgun cycling and "breaking it in"... i won't carry a gun with less than 200rds of my carry ammo though it with 100% perfection. so 200rds of my carry ammo runs 100-150 bucks.

this process takes a couple weeks to achieve but no big deal.

remember that your carry ammo isn't only about dependability, it will certainly have a different feel to it.

If someone shoots a couple of boxes of Blazer Brass through their gun and then buys 1 box of blah blah blah +p and then loads the gun ready for a bad day, i bet that first shot is going to be a surprise.

IMO it all comes down to "better safe than sorry" and "What is your life worth"

Id gladly sacrifice (and do) a few trips to the range of FMJ shooting, or a new set of grips or that 3rd gun until you have put 200rds of carry ammo in your gun you plan to wear daily.

simply my opinion

Check for yourself
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  19. i do it, at least 250 of carry ammo, the rest ball. but hey, you gotta know. that said, it's been my expierence with production 1911's that they run from the start, or a prob shows up pretty quick. it kills me when i read on gng about some guy who puts a mag thru his new glock and calls it good.... because its a glock. unbelievable.
  20. Glocks are very dependable and they either work or they don't.
    Usually they work.
    500 trouble free rounds and I'm confident in a Glock.
    Many 1911's are very dependable too. Some are not.
    If it is trouble free after at least 500 rounds and a few boxes of good quality carry ammo I am confident in the 1911 too.
    I never rest on my guns being broken in and dependable as I shoot my carry guns often.
    I also clean and inspect them after every time I shoot them.
    A range toy or a target gun can be treated differently since your life does not depend on it.