close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

AR15's

Discussion in 'Illinois Glockers' Club' started by Arr6, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Arr6

Arr6 .com

Apr 20, 2009
    Illinois
    I called my local range asking about Colt ARs and was told they are illegal in cook county, but the bushmasters, S&W etc are ok. Whats the difference, the colt is only semi auto, not full or select auto.

I live in lake county, but the range I go to (Maxons) is in cook county.

2. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

Jan 24, 2009
    "Crook County", IL

3. alwaysready

alwaysready

Mar 13, 2001
    il,usa
    i know a year or 2 ago cook passed a law about semi auto rifles but dont know the specifics

maybe someone from the area that knows more will chime in

why a stay as far away from cook county as i can

4. as400guy1

as400guy1

Mar 26, 2009
  5. MakeMineA10mm

MakeMineA10mm * * * * Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 13, 1999
    Central Illinois
    :agree:
    I can think of a couple dozen more reasons, too...

6. acman

acman

Jan 27, 2008
    Natchez,MS
    only difference in a colt semi auto and the rest of those is the superior quality of the colt. he is probably extremely misinformed.

7. Arr6

Arr6 .com

Apr 20, 2009
    Illinois
    Upon further research I was told that the Colt specifically was banned because it is called the 'AR-15' as opposed to the Bushmaster which is called XM15E2s and the S&W which is the M&P15.

I guess its just terminology since the 'AR-15' is banned but something that looks like an AR but not called 'AR-15' is ok.....:upeyes:

8. RandyK

RandyK

Aug 25, 2009
    Plainfield, IL USA
    I think the shorter carbine (commando?) version version is illegal for citizens, but not law enforcement. I know my brother carries one on raids, mostly in Cook County. I'll have to ask him.

9. RandyK

RandyK

Aug 25, 2009
    Plainfield, IL USA
    Unfortunately the local range is correct, but this is true ONLY for Cook County. :steamed: The ISRA did an analysis on this and there's a link to the ordinance in the article. The ordiance has a complete list of all banned "assult" weapons. Sorry for the bad news. Cook County sucks!:rant:

I'm going to shoot in Will County over the Labor Day weekend where I don't have to put up with the additional nonsense.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009