close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AR15 Ammo question

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Teej, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Teej

Teej
    Expand Collapse

I am a newbie to AR's. Just picked up my first which is a Bushmaster.

My friend told me to stay away from the Russian .223 ammo. He said it would foul it up and I'd be doing a lot of cleaning. However as you all know, ammo is currently dried up out there.

I have located some Silver Bear 55 grn FMJ and HP. What are your thoughts on this please?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Leigh

Leigh
    Expand Collapse

I prefer brass but steel case ammo works just fine.
    I consider all ammo "dirty" so cleaning is just a part of gun ownership to me.
    If the ammo is not corrosive to begin with, your rifle won't be any more "fouled" than using brass-cased stuff.

3. Teej

Teej
    Expand Collapse

Well they just sold last case out while I was posting. lol

Oh well. I'd still appreciate your opinions. In the mean time I have a nice looking club...... :whistling:

4. GAFinch

GAFinch
    Expand Collapse

I've still seen some .223 hunting ammo available. More expensive but still very effective and better than having nothing.

5. P99er

P99er
    Expand Collapse
    AKA PPQ'er

It was originally thought that the older Russian ammo which had a lacquer coating, would cause it to gum up the works: if you ran brass case behind it, the lacquer build up could gum up the brass case and cause it to jam. Somebody did a test to test the theory and found that the lacquer was indeed sticking to the brass cases and fouling the action, causing jams. You could see specs of lacquer on the brass cases. Folks decided if you were going to use Wolf, stay with it until you cleaned your rifle.

Then, it evolved into combloc ammo for combloc guns.

Now, I think most Russian ammo is polymer coated. I don't know if they are having the same problems with the polymer coating, but I haven't read much about it. You can try arfcom or M4C.net to find out for sure.

Some people think steel cases hurt the extractor, and some advocated a third party extractor and spring.

It you can, it might not be a bad idea to have a separate bolt or extractor that you use soley for combloc ammo.

6. Teej

Teej
    Expand Collapse

Ya, hunting ammo corelok at $34 a box I was just quoted!!! With the promise that when the bulk target ammo does start to back order back in, it will be at higher prices!!!!

I should have bought another AK! :steamed:

7. mvician

mvician
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

The lacquer DOES NOT MELT AND CAUSE STUCK CASES

carbon builds up because the steel case does not expand as well as brass.

I wish this myth would die already

8. MajorD

MajorD
    Expand Collapse

Steel case ammo is a crapshoot some guns run fine with it while others choke. It even varies between identical models of the same brand. My advice is buy some if it runs in your rifle great but don't bet on it. The best advice aside from always buying brass case ( difficult to say the least in the current market) is to get set up for reloading

9. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

It's is certainly going to result in more cleaning but not going to hurt anything.

10. WinterWizard

WinterWizard
    Expand Collapse

This.

Some say if you run 1 brass round for every 9 steel rounds in your mags (1:9 ratio), that the brass case will sort of clean out the chamber enough to keep your gun from jamming. Have no idea if it has any validity or not. I don't shoot that crap so I will never know... :whistling:

#10 WinterWizard, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  11. M&P15T

M&P15T
    Expand Collapse
    Beard One

You wanna buy 5.56/7.62x39 ammo right now?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. TheExplorer

TheExplorer
    Expand Collapse

:rofl:I think that will be the case for quite a few for a while.

13. Teej

Teej
    Expand Collapse

You do mean 5.56/".223"??

7.62x39 is readily available

14. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

Thanks for beating me to it.

Lube the BCG. When the gun starts to run sluggish of have FTF/FTE issues, scrub the chamber with a chamber brush, lube the BCG some more, and keep shooting. At this point, I have been shooting steel case almost exclusively for a while now.

15. Steve in PA

Steve in PA
    Expand Collapse

I've shot plenty of steel cased ammo through my AR. First, it was lacquer coated but then they changed it to polymer coated. I've shot many thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo. I can only think of two FTE's (failure to extract) when firing the ammo. Pulled the BCG, hit the chamber with a chamber brush, then went back to shooting.

If I had the choice, I would take brass cased ammo. However, if due to cost and availability factors, steel was my only option, I'd be okay with it.

16. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

^This

I do love the guy who recommended to keep separate internals for use w/ brass and steel cased ammunition.

#16 mjkeat, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  17. jay-bird

jay-bird
    Expand Collapse
    goin' broke

My Walmart has thirty boxes left of 50 grain varmint tip federal for 10 bucks a box. My town is Liberal.

18. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

...huh? :dunno:

19. AZson

AZson
    Expand Collapse

My AR is full of DRT ammo right now.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0AKcBm_e8w"]SHWAT™ DRT Ammo .223 79 grain gel test - See more on DRT Ammo at www.SHWAT.com - YouTube[/ame]

20. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

I shoot alot of steel through my RRA with no problems as of yet. I shot 400 rds of Hornady Steel this week, and then switched to brass with no problems.

I wont freak out if I get a jam or two running cheap steel. Instead I'll run a boresnake and some Shooters Choice down the bore and add a few drop of CLP to the BCG and keep firing.