close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

AR triggers

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by halfmoonclip, Dec 11, 2011.

1. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Feb 24, 2003
    It never ceases to amaze me about how crappy OEM triggers tend to be, even in premium brands. I've resorted to Geissele SSA triggers in a couple ARs, and generally consider it a good solution; they're durable and easy to install.

The problem is in my retro A1 build. I had a Bill Springfield trigger in it; nice release, but I was concerned about durability. Also, had a Springfield trigger run away on me in another gun, so I'm a little skeptical about them.

Got a good price at a gunshow on an SSA, and it's in and works great. Trouble is, it's not right on an A1. Any suggestions of a source for a clean service trigger for my retro?
    Thanks,
    Moon

2. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Edit - just noticed you said 'retro.' My suggestions would not be for you.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  3. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Feb 24, 2003
    Did a quick search; didn't turn up anything specific to retro.

I'd prefer a single stage with a clean (need not be super light) release just to be period-correct, but the Giessele's work so well (with nothing to get out of whack) that I'm tempted to let practicality override technical correctness. I've got lots of (crunchy,heavy, creepy) GI triggers in the partsbox.

But I'm open to suggestions.
    Moon

4. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    I really don't understand where your coming from- you want a retro A1. But you want a prescision trigger. Can't have both as they didn't make prescision triggers for AR's then so if you want a true A1 retro use a stock trigger!:whistling:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  5. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Do the A1 and A2 triggers look different? What about a RRA 2-stage trigger? :dunno:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

6. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

If you can do a trigger-job on a1911, you can improve your AR trigger considerably. It takes about a half-hour.

7. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Feb 24, 2003
    Reread what I said, 45. I didn't say a precision trigger (not sure the SSA really qualifies as that in any case). What I'd like is a durable trigger with a clean break. It need not be super light (4-5 lbs is fine), but I just can't deal with the crunchy, heavy OEM. I can even deal with heavy if it all goes at once, but the creep is killing me.

Moon

8. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Feb 24, 2003
    Ted, I'm willing to listen, but the Springfield trigger job probably is something in that vein. I do want this trigger to be reliable in the long run. Because of previous issues (the runaway gun) with modded stock triggers, I'm a little leery.
    Thanks,
    Moon

9. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Feb 24, 2003
    Let me add, guys, that I wish I could remember what the GI triggers actually felt like. My rifle in basic was an M-16dashnothing, and in my company it was an A1. I was lucky; never had to run thru' the jungle with it.
    But my recollection was that they weren't half bad, and it wasn't just usage. My A1 was about brand new when I drew it.

As an aside, ever try a WWII 1911? I have one made by a typewriter company, and it has a great trigger. Go figure.
    Moon

10. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

Remove the lower and dry-fire (catching the hammer each time) for about 4 hours while watching TV tonight. That will remove the roughness.

11. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Feb 24, 2003
    Ted, I've been known to do that; how well it works depends on how rough the trigger was to begin with. It's a thought, tho.
    Moon

12. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

That's how those WWII 1911s smoothed out.

13. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Feb 24, 2003
    Ted, you might be right, but my personal specimen has so little wear on it that it couldn't have been shot much. I think they just knew how to do it.
    Moon

14. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    halfmoonclip
    Also keep in mind the AR was never ment to be a precision weapon! The only weapon I have a prescision trigger on is my Sav Hunter 11 with the Accu trigger. I never got hung up on triggers as most I had smoothed out with use. My first AR prescision trigger will be the G2S I'll have on my PSA if it ever gets here.

15. BBJones

BBJones

Mar 2, 2010

That is not a precision trigger. It is meant to be an all around trigger.

16. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Feb 24, 2003
    45, feel free to tell me more about your trigger.

Let me say that shooting any firearm in a skillful fashion depends on a decent trigger (among other things). I've found the SSA to be a great all-round trigger, easy to control for range work, but reliable and with enough pull weight to be useful when your pulse is racing and your a****le is tightened up.
    I really want to get my retro to the range more often, with the expectation of actually being able to hit things.
    Moon

17. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    No it is not, but compared to a Mil-Spec trigger the SSA is practically a precision trigger.

I have one that I replaced the stock disco spring with a Mil-Spec one that is absolutely fantastic.

18. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Feb 24, 2003
    Tell me a little more about that, Cae. How does it affect the pull? First stage or second? You are talking the little coil that goes under the disconnector?
    Moon

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011