AR time

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by r3dot, Feb 28, 2012.

1. I'm looking to add an AR to the collection. I want it for the fun factor (shooting once a month or more), but also as a great, reliable combat gun (both for home, and you know, zombies).

I would really like to keep it under a grand. The lower the better. There are a lot of AR's on the local classifieds, but I don't know anything about them.

Caliber choice?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Colt 6920
    Stag
    Daniel Defense
    Bravo Company

All good choices,........5.56mm would be my recommendation.

3. Agreed, except I don't have enough experience with Stag to suggest them. i would suggest LaRue or LMT, though, in addition to Colt, DD and Bravo.

Best place to start is a mid-length, 16" upper with either a fixed front sight and standard handguards, or folding front and a QUALITY rail system. Either one of those leaves you with plenty of ways to tweak it to your personal tastes as you figure out what you like. Top it off with a quality rear sight, and a quality optic (Aimpoint, ACOG, or EO Tech) and plenty of good mags and ammo. If budget is a bit tight, spend as much as you can to get a QUALITY rifle, and enough ammo and mags to start learning the platform, and save the optic for later.

4. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member
    CLM

The choices in the AR world are just about limitless right now.

:cool:

5. ...and I don't know anything about them.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. Another thing I want out of an AR, is that ability to eat cheap ammo. I don't know the ammo prices well, but just a quick glimpse at a major retail store (Cabela's) 640 rounds of steel cased .223 is just under $150. Are AR's picky about ammo choices?

#5 r3dot, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  6. Some are, some are not. My LMT 10.5" upper is picky about ammo, but there are reasons for it (optimized for 5.56 from the factory, and meant to not be over-gassed when suppressed, combined with the short barrel). Most 16" carbines should eat the cheap stuff with little to no problems, though. If you get one that will not, there are usually easy and cheap ways to improve that (different buffer, different extractor springs, etc).

If you stick with reliable, mid-to-top end companies, you shouldn't have too many issues. If you do, they usually have good enough customer service to see to it that you wind up satisfied.

#6 WoodenPlank, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  7. The top tier rifles usually feed crappy ammo better than the corner cut special brands.

You can put a Bravo Company rifle together for less than $1000 now, especially if you buy one of their "blemished" complete lowers.

8. I see several websites offering the Colt 6920 for under 1,000 dollars. They may or may not be out of stock though I haven't checked. Mine will eat Wolf ammo with no problem, although it takes longer to clean the gun after shooting such dirty ammo.

9. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

LaRue?
    LMT?

Under $1000?

:rofl:

10. From what I have been hearing on here and from my usual shop the pre-election panic buying has already begun.

You may have to go a little above $1000 for a Colt, though they were going cheap enough where you could get one at that price OTD.

It's really hard to go wrong with a 6920 or similar Colt, the name will help it retain or go up in value, and You're getting better quality than the cheaper brands. I personally do not reccomend Stag Arms.

11. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

If you buy a separate upper, how well do most lower's finishes match up?

Posted from my iPhone

12. What makes the Colt so great? At a grand, there seem to be a lot of options, and for just a few hundred more, you're opened up to a lot more.

Colt vs. bravo company? It looks like I can build one from Bravo for ~289-319 for a complete lower, plus 399 for a complete upper.

Direct impingement vs gas?

I've looked at Palmetto before when they were selling complete lowers and uppers for around $600. I don't really want to do a complete build right now.

#13 r3dot, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  13. It's often a crap-shoot. I've had good luck with it, though. All the different combinations I have had were close enough that it never bothered me.

14. BTW, I can get the Colt 6920 for $995 + tax locally. Again, what makes the Colt better than building one for ~$800ish?

The handle on the Colt is something I really dislike. It's removable, yeah?

15. Yeah, all the current ones should be sporting removable carry handles.

As for what makes the Colt better... mostly the fact that it says Colt on it. Several companies offer comparable or better products for similar (or even lower) pricing than Colt, all without Colt's previous history of being ****s to civilians. BCM is a good example of this.

16. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

The carry handle? On the 6920 it is removeable yes. Colt makes good ****. Quality control is great, gun functions well, havent had a single issue with mine. As long as you stay with a quality manufacturer you won't have a problem. There's not any one reason why a colt is better than a DD or vice versa. Both will serve you well if you take care of them. Shop around I know DD and several other companies are offering packages with optics and magpul furniture if that interests you.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

17. Any idea where? Everything I've seen from DD has been ~$1500

18. Take a peek over here...

DD 16" complete uppers(with BCG and DD1.5 rear), with choice of 12" FSP M4 rail or 9.5" FSP Lite rail for $850. Considering either of those rails retail for over $300, by the time you add a complete (basic) lower, you're getting a pretty damn good deal for the money.

Edit: Whoops, realized those are both out of stock. That does give you a good idea of what you can get for pricing if you shop around a bit, though, and catch a sale.

#19 WoodenPlank, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012