close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

AR Tac Sling

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by KevinFACE, Mar 23, 2013.

1. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

Feb 16, 2010
    I'm not looking to be "tacti-cool" but I would like a tac sling, and I believe I want a multi point one.

I'd like it to be easy to be carry on front and back.

I have a LMT CQB MRP Piston.

Any suggestions?

2. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

Aug 28, 2006
    Not Los Angeles.

3. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
  4. XDfense

XDfense

Nov 3, 2010
  5. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
  6. pag23

pag23

Jul 28, 2008
    Eastern PA
    I like my padded VTAC so much I went out and bought another one!

7. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

Feb 18, 2011
    Leesburg, GA
    The VTAC and the vickers VCAS are the two choices here.

Alternatively, I think the magpul MS3 is a decent sling.

8. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    Pleas be aware of the differences between carry straps and rifle slings. A rifle sling is both an aid to marksmanship and a tool in carrying the rifle in a convenient, comfortable manner. A carry strap is simply a tool which aids in carrying the rifle. The VTac and the VCAS are good slings, as is the Magpul MS3. A lot of the other things marketed as slings are little more than glorified carry straps which fail miserably when one attemps to utilize them as a marksmanship aid.

Matching your sling to your "kit" is also an important consideration. How one carries his mags, pistol, and other gear must be evaluated. We usually see problems with right handed, left eye dominant shooters who carry their pistol on their right and shoot from their left shoulder. Setting things up for them is tricky. Slings can and do get tangled in everything if you let them. When testing a sling, it is advisable to test it in conjunction with all your gear before loading your rifle. If you get all tangled up while sorting stuff out, it is best to have an unloaded rifle.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  9. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Actually, a sling is a means of carrying the rifle without using your hands.

A 'shooting' sling like the old M1907 can also be used as a shooting aid. However, they are all slings.

Slings were used to carry muskets, rifle-muskets and rifles for centuries before they became shooting aids.

10. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    If it is not used as a marksmanship aid, it is a carry strap, not a rifle sling. It is a critical distinction because a carry strap does not fill the bill in most rifle courses. When sling is listed as required equipment, bringing a carry strap is not conducive to success.

Sure, lots of people use incorrect nomenclature and we usually know what they mean. That does not mean that clip is the best word to use when one means magazine, and one does not load bullets into his modern rifle until said bullets have been loaded into cartridge cases along with powder and primers.

Lastly, rifles were not even in common usage before slings were developed as shooting aids.

11. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    If it is not used as a marksmanship aid, it is a carry strap, not a rifle sling. It is a critical distinction because a carry strap does not fill the bill in most rifle courses. When sling is listed as required equipment, bringing a carry strap is not conducive to success.

Sure, lots of people use incorrect nomenclature and we usually know what they mean. That does not mean that clip is the best word to use when one means magazine, and one does not load bullets into his modern rifle until said bullets have been loaded into cartridge cases along with powder and primers.

Lastly, rifles were not even in common usage for centuries efore slings were developed as shooting aids, so they could not have possibly had carry straps used for centuries before slings were developed as marksmanship aids.

12. MrMurphy

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Standard sling in use since Napoleonic times.

And rifles have been in use across Europe since the late 1400s. Not mass issue, but that took until the 1860s. They still saw combat use in the Napoleonic wars, and other than standing/kneeling the most common position was reclining prone supporting the barrel with the feet.

A sling is a sling.

13. gooffeyguy

gooffeyguy

Jan 13, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm happy with my $20 two point Condor Speedy Tactical Sling

14. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    VCAS. VTAC is a distant second, everything else sucks.

15. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    And a clip is a clip, but calling a box type magazine a clip is inexact.

Let's use your dates on the beginning of carry strap usage. The Napoleonic era began in 1799. The picture below from the US Army Center on Military history clearly shows a proper shooting sling on a 1861 rifled musket, as issued 62 years later. This established that, at a maximum, carry straps were used for 62 years before shooting slings came into widespread usag, so your claim that carry straps were used for "centuries" before shooting slings developed is fallacious.

http://www.history.army.mil/books/AMH-V1/p216.jpg

In truth, both rifles and shooting slings saw their first use in combat between Nation States during the Seven Years war.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  16. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    Except vcas limits how far you can tighten the sling down.... No thanks

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

17. MrMurphy

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    The Baker rifle, employed by the British Rifle Regiments, came to be precisely because American riflemen (in small numbers) kept picking off important guys in British units.

The British Rifle Regiments, armed en masse with rifles, came to be around 1790ish. One of their more famous shooters whacked a French general with one shot at Corunna.

They had slings, and weren't using them as shooting aids from all i've ever read.

A clip feeds a magazine, and thus a magazine is not a clip and a clip is not a magazine.

A sling is a means for carrying a shoulder arm without using your hands.
    Some can also be used to act as a shooting aid if the rifle and the sling are both meant to do so (correct number of sling swivels in the right location, etc) but the primary purpose of ANY sling is STILL to carry the weapon. Some are also shooting aids. Doesn't mean they're not all slings.

The M1907, which is among the better known of the shooting aid type, spent decades being used to carry rifles around all over many countries. And in some cases, got used as a shooting aid, when time allowed.