close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

AR Pistols

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Young Once, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Anyone here try an AR pistol build? How was it? What parts did you use? Was there any reliability issues? Could you post pics? Need ideas for a pistol build I'm planning. Thanks in advance.

2. romram

romram

Apr 1, 2004
    too much recoil, too much heat & stress for the less than 7 in barrel. you can see traces of unburn gun powder inside the chamber

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

3. romram

romram

Apr 1, 2004
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

*pictures taken from the web, credit to the owners

4. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze Notorious

Jul 27, 2006
    I had a 7.5 inch SBR that was absolutely unreliable until I changed the gas tube and the buffer spring. I never even used a suppressor on it but after every range trip my gun was FILTHY.

5. xXGearheadXx

xXGearheadXx

Aug 3, 2011
    Knoxville TN
    I've built a couple, but only as placeholders while i'm waiting for my SBR tax stamps. With the .300 BLK it's been fine with every super load i've fired from it. I haven't done any testing with my 5.56.

Though the .300 pistol was reliable, i hated it in pistol form.

6. DA_NINJA

DA_NINJA

Jan 24, 2003
    C®OK COUNTY, IL
    I've got one in 9mm. , from spike tactical.... clean and nice to fire(no barrel foul ups), purrsssss like a kitten --not so loud when fired even without ear protection........
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  7. Thanks for the comments. Seems like I will have to rethink my position on this matter. However, the pics above are really great. The set ups look quite good too.

8. Scrt_Agent_Man

Scrt_Agent_Man

Jun 15, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I've built a dozen or so, mostly 7.5", but a few 11" and never had issues with any of them. Most of them weren't technically a full build because I used Model 1 uppers but I did fully build a couple with various parts. They are a lot of fun and IMO very little recoil, but I always used a full length buffer and tube due to reliability issues with the short ones.

This is the only pic I had handy of any of them. This one was for a relative but had a Stag lower, Model 1 7.5" chrome lined upper, RRA trigger, hogue grip, some cheap red dot he had, and a cheap gun show flash light that doubled as a front grip.
    [​IMG]

9. Dreamliner787

Dreamliner787

Jul 12, 2012
    I like the Noveske KX3 "flaming pig" flash suppressor if you go with 7.5" pistol. Works on the Noveske VIS really nice.

10. Scrt_Agnt_Man, when you say full length tube and buffer are you referring to the original tube and buffer for the fixed stock or the tube and buffer for adjustable stocks?

11. Scrt_Agent_Man

Scrt_Agent_Man

Jun 15, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I believe they are mil-spec carbine buffer tubes so ~6 3/4" but it's been a while so I will have to pull one out and double check.

12. Ok, will wait for your post on this. Tia, scrt_agnt_man.

13. Scrt_Agent_Man

Scrt_Agent_Man

Jun 15, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Just measured 2 of them and they are about 7.5" total. The ones I still have are from Model 1 so you might want to check with them for more info. The buffer and spring I'm running in them are standard carbine ones.

14. They sure look nice and interesting to have a go at the range. One question though in the Philippine setting, is this now classified as a pistol for purposes of a license or still a high powered rifle?