close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

AR Pistol

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by bigmoney890, Feb 26, 2013.

1. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC
    Anyone know if I have to register my AR as a pistol, or can I just be ok with having the pistol buffer tube on it?

2. larson1122

larson1122

Jan 30, 2012
    Minnesota
    I don't believe you can take a lower that has already been assembled as a rifle and turn it into a pistol. If you start with a stripped lower and never assemble it as a rifle, you can build it as a pistol. When you fill out the 4473 for a lower it should be marked as "other/receiver."

3. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Oct 1, 2003
    SC
    What's this about gun registration in NC?

4. KK40384

KK40384

Jun 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Here in MI it has to be registered as a pistol when purchased stripped. Unfortunately for us, we have to register all pistols with our local department and state police.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. In NC, there is no registration.
    If it started as a rifle, then it has to stay a rifle.
    If it started stripped, then you are fine to make it how ever you would like.

6. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Sep 26, 2007
    NJ/VT
    Could you legally switch configurations back and forth? Just curious...

DH

7. KK40384

KK40384

Jun 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Typically a pistol has a short barrel (less than 16") so by putting a stock on it without a tax stamp you're asking for trouble and a date with big bubba. Assuming you want a pistol with a 16" barrel then I don't see why you couldn't just put a stock on it whenever you like. Having such a setup is pointless as a pistol.

8. larson1122

larson1122

Jan 30, 2012
    Minnesota
    As long as it starts as a pistol.

9. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC

I know that there's no registration here. I was unclear in my OP. I was referring to any forms for the ATF? I don't want them to show up one day and my pistol AR to be illegal. It has a pistol buffer tube already. No upper mounted yet.

10. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    So long as it is on the 4473 as "OTHER" (as all stripped lowers should be), you're fine.

11. Here's the stupidity of the law- did you buy this brand new as either a stripped lower or a pistol lower with the buffer tube installed?

As mentioned, it's OK to build a stripped receiver into a pistol, and you can convert a pistol to a rifle and back again without any problems.

However, if you build a rifle with it first, then you can't later make it a pistol. Same goes if the person you bought it from made it into a rifle first. Stupid, right?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  12. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Sep 26, 2007
    NJ/VT
    So if one has a stripped lower registered as "other", it can be made into a pistol with a 11.5" upper. But if you remove the pistol buffer tube and add a but stock....you now have an SBR, correct? And that calls for the $200 stamp. Are these stock configurations legal "pistols" or are they considered SBRs?

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/featureless-stock-kit-quebec-53658.html

On a side note, I don't think I ever handled a AR pistol that didn't have problems.

DH

13. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    The link would be a stock - not legal on a pistol AR.

Edit: Actually, there's a pistol buffer tube in the photo, as well as a shoulder stock.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  14. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Sep 26, 2007
    NJ/VT
    So it's still technically a AR pistol....right?

If so, might be a good way to go with if you live in a state where you can't own a SBR or don't want to pay the $200 stamp. Interesting.

DH

15. KK40384

KK40384

Jun 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Or in my case, I'm putting a pistol together to keep in the truck. Here in MI we can't drive around with a loaded rifle in the truck. However, with a CPL you can have a loaded AR pistol. That's the only reason I'd want a pistol over a SBR.

16. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Sep 26, 2007
    NJ/VT
    Would the pistol grip have to be removed as shown in the picture? Couldn't one just use the pistol buffer with that little shoulder stock attached to it?

DH

17. KK40384

KK40384

Jun 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I may be wrong but I think if you have any way to effectively shoulder the weapon it falls under the SBR category. You could shoulder a pistol buffer tube I guess but who knows

18. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Sep 26, 2007
    NJ/VT
    I thought it simply had to have a barrel shorter than 16" and a RIFLE stock. The kit in the link above simply has a piece attached to the pistol buffer tube, yet the pistol grip has been removed. Why the removal of the pistol grip? Dono....:dunno:

DH

19. rockapede

rockapede

Sep 3, 2009
    Shoulder stock is a shoulder stock. I'd call that a no-go.

20. larson1122

larson1122

Jan 30, 2012
    Minnesota
    It's made for states that limit the number of "evil features."