AR pistol to SBR

Discussion in 'GATE NFA/Class III' started by bumpin88, Sep 27, 2012.

1. This is something I've just thought about. If I purchase a stripped lower, purchase it as a pistol. I could have it with any barrel length I wanted, but with no but stock. So essentially I can build a SBR, but not have it be a SBR? As long as it does not have a buttstock, or forward pistol grip, I should be safe.

But then I thought about what IF i wanted to put it on a form1 as an SBR. Could I still keep it as a functional pistol until I received the Tax stamp?
    I'm sure the local SOT could anwser this better, but I was wondering if anyone knew how this works?
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Heading to the range with two pistols, should we use 115 or 124 grain. Caliber Corner Wednesday at 12:11 AM
    Describe Your Introduction To Glock Pistols General Glocking Tuesday at 2:12 PM
    Pistol packing preacher The Okie Corral Monday at 9:11 PM
    WTS: Glock pistol to rifle conversion kit Gun Parts & Accessories Oct 3, 2015
    WTT AK47 PISTOL beretta cx4 storm 9mm NC Firearms Listings Sep 29, 2015

3. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner
    Millennium Member

You can buy a nonclassified lower and then assemble it into a pistol. You cannot add a stock to a pistol without it being a Title II firearm, thus it cannot be an "SBR."

You can keep it as a pistol in legal pistol configuration until you have the Form 1 clear.

4. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
    So, I guess that would be the same for a carbine or rifle as long as you don't have the short barrel in your possession until the Form 1 clears.