close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

AR optic

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by wolf19r, Oct 21, 2011.

1. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

Feb 8, 2009
    JAX, FL
    What would be a good AR optic. I was looking at the Nikon M223 s, Trijicon acog (way out of my budget) or that style, etc. Ideally something that does not look like it belongs on a hunting rifle. Any info or input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. BBJones

BBJones

Mar 2, 2010

What is your budget? Do you need a mount too? total budget? What magnification, fixed, variable?

Another poster just started a thread about Vortex Viper PST's. For the money you get alot with that scope. In a ADM, LaRue, or Bobro mount and you are set.

3. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

Feb 8, 2009
    JAX, FL
    I'll look into that step up more. I was thinking $350 range with variable magnification.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  4. Hedo1

Hedo1

Oct 1, 2007
    SE Pennsylvania
    Nikon 2-7 X Variable scope. Burriss rings. The combo will set you back about $200. Nikon makes great glass. The M-223 has more reticle features however.

5. i like my Millett DMS 1-4x in a burris PEPR mount. i got the combo from SWFA and with expedited shipping, it was less than $300 total. the PEPR mount now had a QD version that wasnt availible when i got mine. ive made plenty of good hits out to 400 with my setup before i free floated it. havent been since ive installed the new handguards.

ETA: here is the link to their current combo. http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-SWFA-SSALT-Combo-P42148.aspx
    looks like they are now using their own Super Sniper mount.

6. surf

surf

Jul 7, 2010
    What type of shooting do you do? Why are you opposed to the "hunting rifle" optic.

7. conch27

conch27

May 17, 2011
    Maine
    I have the Nikon M223 and love it. the 1-4 is a great 3 gun scope.

8. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Try the Burris Tac 30 its a 1-4 power variable with an illuminated reticle that has a bullet drop calibrated for 62 grain 5.56 loads. Cost is $300 to $350.
    Pat

9. TheBelly

TheBelly

Jan 1, 2004
    As others have stated, it's very difficult to steer you into something you have a higher probability of liking if we don't know the intended purpose.

For the tactical side, I'd pick an ACOG, or an aimpoint if you want just a dot.

For the 3-gun type, I'd pick an Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x.

If money were not a concern, I'd probably use a short dot or cqbss.

It all depends on price point and intended purpose.

Look through a LOT of different glass to find one that you like, then hustle and do what needs to be done to get it.

10. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    For the tactical side I would say a Swarovski Z6i BRT 1-6x optic or a TA 11 or TA33 ACOG with a T1 Aimpoint in a off set mount or a S&B 1-4 Short Dot.
    For three gun the Swarovski again.
    If money is no object the Swarovski. I love mine.
    Pat

11. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

Feb 8, 2009
    JAX, FL
    At the local range I can currently use you can only bench rest rifles and I'm having a hard time seeing the target at any distance 20 to 100 yards. I'd like to get more out of the rifle and a friend recommended and optic. Ideally it would be able to be used at distance 20 to 100 yards and be able to be used for 3 gun type shooting.