close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

AR Newbie First Rifle

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by brianfede, Feb 25, 2012.

1. brianfede

brianfede

Apr 7, 2011
    Chicago Area
    Just joined a local range which has a 100 yard rifle range. I am looking for a AR 5.56 or similar. I am willing to spend up to $1250 and I would greatly appreciate your recommendations. I have read thru some threads and I have seen some pretty mixed reviews on the cheaper AR's from Bushmaster, DPMS etc.. I would like to get the best bang for my buck. I was leaning towards a RRA or Daniel Defense. Thoughts? Thanks vm.

2. pag23

pag23

Jul 28, 2008
    Eastern PA
    For that money get a good quality one.... there are numerous postings... Palmetto seems to have good value going. Some like the M&P, some like BCM, Colt, etc.....

The bottom line is do your research!

3. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

Feb 18, 2011
    Leesburg, GA
    Colt, BCM, or Daniel Defense can all be had for that price range. The Colt will give you the best value for the money and can be had for less than $1000

4. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    Is this a target rifle or a self defense rifle or an all purpose rifle?

5. brianfede

brianfede

Apr 7, 2011
    Chicago Area
    Target rifle.

6. Jack Black

Jack Black

Dec 19, 2000
    Vegas Baby!
    Excellent recommendations, but I wouldn't say Colt is the best value for the money.

7. redbrd

redbrd

Sep 20, 2005
    I second this colt is way overpriced for the money. I would go for a Daniel Defense or buld for that price you will get a much better rifle than what you will get a colt for that price.

8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Colt is the standard, the original, and has more experience building ARs than everyone else put together. Out of the box, they're most likely to be 'right'.

Personally i'd probably go with a DD of the three, or a BCM, but you can never exactly go wrong with a Colt.

9. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    If its going to be a target only rifle, consider a 18-20 inch barrel. Also don't skimp on a scope. I recommend the Burris TAC 30 line, or Nikon M223 series.

10. brianfede

brianfede

Apr 7, 2011
    Chicago Area

Good point on the barrel length, I didn't even consider 18-20 I was looking at 16". That is another consideration.

11. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    RRA is not my favorite brand, but they make fine target rifles.

12. brianfede

brianfede

Apr 7, 2011
    Chicago Area
    Stag Arms any good? Right now I'm leaning towards the DD.

13. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
  14. brianfede

brianfede

Apr 7, 2011
    Chicago Area
  15. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Unless you are regularly shooting well past 100 yards, there's not much advantage to a longer barrel. Once you start reaching 300+, an 18-20" barrel comes into its own, but you can still make serviceable hits with shorter (even as short as 10.5-12.5") barrels at those distances.

BCM, Colt, DD, LMT will all be good to go and completely reliable. A PSA will still be a great rifle for less money, and will leave you budget space left over for ammo, mags, and an optic. Since you JUST want a target gun, I'd probably go for a PSA and spend the rest on a decent magnified optic, along with mags and ammo.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  16. Simple_Man

Simple_Man

Feb 21, 2012
    Georgia
    I will shoot my cheap bushy against anyone. I was born and breed from the KISS system I have shot my Ruger P90 better than some guys with Kimber, Colt, and S.A.'s it's the man behind the trigger. I am not saying a high priced weapon is not good I am just saying I seen guys spend $3,000 on a riffle and not practice with it and keep there shooting skills up. I would rather see a guy get a $900 rifle and spend the other $300 on ammo and shoot every chance he got. Just my opinion is all. I have a Rem. 870 pump I can get 23 or 24 birds out of 25 at skeet match when there are guys getting teens with Beretta's and Benelli's

17. Magelk

Magelk

Jul 17, 2011
    I get 25 out of 25 with my benelli.

18. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

Nov 19, 2010
    SC
    I say Daniel Defense but I am a little biased. :cool: Good luck getting your hands on one though, they seem to be out of stock everywhere. I have been more than happy with mine and it has run like a top. It chews up any type of ammo that I feed it without any issues what so ever.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012