Glock Talk banner

AR n00b here

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  WoodenPlank 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have been doing quite of bit of reading. I am considering building an AR. I was able to swap out the trigger spring and connector on my Glock 30. An AR has about the same number of parts as a Glock, right? :whistling:

But seriously, I have been watching lots of great how-to videos on YouTube. I am confident I can put one together. It's just a matter of researching the best parts. I plan to purchase a few parts each month. Right now it seems like everything is on back-order.

#2 ·
Now is a really bad time to buy an AR. Availability is in the crapper, and prices are sky high.

Depending on how much of your rifle you want to actually build yourself, you may need some extra tools. The castle nut on a carbine stock and the barrel nut on the upper both need to be installed and torqued correctly, or problems can result. To do that requires an AR-15 armorer wrench, a proper bench and vice, a torque wrench, and receiver blocks. If you don't already have most of those items, that can result in a significant investment.

If you buy a mostly or completely pre-assembled upper and lower, swapping some smaller parts (trigger, stock, grip, etc) are quite easy, and require only basic hand tools. That kind of work is pretty much in line with swapping Glock frame parts around.

#4 ·
Depending on how much of your rifle you want to actually build yourself, you may need some extra tools. The castle nut on a carbine stock and the barrel nut on the upper both need to be installed and torqued correctly, or problems can result. To do that requires an AR-15 armorer wrench, a proper bench and vice, a torque wrench, and receiver blocks. If you don't already have most of those items, that can result in a significant investment.
I concur. Assuming you can get all the parts, buy a stripped lower and install a stock and lower parts kit. Then buy a complete upper and bolt carrier group.
Good luck.

#6 ·
Right a complete rifle will probably be easier to find and more cost effective, but as Plank said its NOT a good time to buy.

In a few months there will be LOTs of never fired AR15s on the used market.

Or, none.

From your mouth to God's ear, brother.

MG

#7 ·
I have watched lots of YouTube videos, so I have seen the tools required. I already have a vice to hold the receiver block. I would need to buy a torque wrench and a few other tools. It's always nice to add something to my toolbox. Assembling the lower looks fairly easy with the right tools. I may look into the complete upper as suggested. I plan to buy a few parts each month.

#8 ·
I have watched lots of YouTube videos, so I have seen the tools required. I already have a vice to hold the receiver block. I would need to buy a torque wrench and a few other tools. It's always nice to add something to my toolbox. Assembling the lower looks fairly easy with the right tools. I may look into the complete upper as suggested. I plan to buy a few parts each month.

So long as you take your time, lowers are pretty easy. Take your time tapping in the roll pins, make sure the ears for the trigger guard are supported when you tap the roll pin in, and use the proper wrench to torque the castle nut, then stake it.

Everything else is relatively easy, just take your time. The upper is easy, as well, you just have to make sure you install and torque your barrel nut correctly, and use the right anti-seize on the barrel nut when you install it. Getting the proper torque value on that barrel nut is VERY important, and that's where the torque wrench comes in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.