close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

AR magazine pouchs

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by BlueEyeDevil, Nov 9, 2012.

1. So I got my 1st AR-15. I got a few magazines, but I only have so many pockets in my pants.

Where is everyone putting their magazines? I see all types of kydex belt holsters, Chest rigs, belt set ups, it is all a bit overwhelming when you look at the price points on some of these.

I see the benifits of each of these styles, but I really don't want to buy one of each of these to find out which i like the most.

Help please....

2. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

Dec 21, 1998
    Colorado
    If you want to shoot some tactical/3Gun type matches, you will be best served by the Kydex style. Safariland and Blade-Tech are probably the dominant ones used. If you just want a few on the belt for informal range sessions, the cloth pouches will be fine. If you want to play battle rattle, you got to get a vest.

There are some good range bags that have pouches for mags, as well as rifle cases with Molle pouches that might be suitable for just range days as well.

3. RatDrall

RatDrall

May 23, 2009
    Blade Tech single magazine pouch, held on with a Teklok for fast on/off but super secure when worn.

As far as chest rigs, battle belts, etc. unless you are accompanied by highly trained friends, military tactics involving the expenditure of a dozen magazines in a firefight may not work so well.

4. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Jul 19, 2004
    Oregon
    The make these shoulder sling bags now that hold 6-12 mags, each pocket holds two mags(6 pockets) Just throw it over your shoulder when you go to the range.

5. Are there any brands to avoid because they will fall apart in less than a year?

I like the shoulder bag idea to hold them together. I don't see myself doing 3 gun anytime soon so I hope I will never have to "run" with my gun anytime soon.

6. RatDrall

RatDrall

May 23, 2009
    There is a lot of cheap airsoft gear out there.

I've used magazine shoulder bags from Hawkepack, 5.11, and Maxpedition and can recommend any of the 3 makes.

7. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

Aug 28, 2006
    Not Los Angeles.
    I bought a US Peacekeeper Rapid Deployment bag. It holds 4 AR and 2 pistol magazines and a pistol (velcro straps to secure a holster inside a zippered compartment)... and a bottle of water. I have used it a few times and while the "made in China" tag has me concerned about quality, it has not shown signs of airsoft quality gear. It is quite comfortable with a full load and has a velcro belt loop to heep it from flopping around when you are on the move.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Check out Olangapo Outfitters.

He has a 'grab and go' sling-on bag made for cops and others for a lot of different rifles and shotguns. He's also a former Marine and it's quality gear for the purpose you're looking for.

9. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    I dislike AR mags on a belt... I do like them on a vest or chest rig.

10. uplinker

uplinker

Jul 25, 2010
    It's a dry heat
    I'm just the opposite. For my needs belt pouches are the ticket. I have two. BladeTech. Photo was taken a few years ago for color comparison.
    [​IMG]

11. JBUS

JBUS I'mHellaJelly!

Jun 28, 2011
    NorCal
    For belt mounted I run Off the Grid Concepts for pmags.

Plate carrier for work: HSGI Tacos on PIG PC

Battle Belt for work: HSGI Tacos on HSGI battle belt.

Chest Rig: Esstac Bush Boar A1 or Original SOE micro rig.

It really all depends on what your specific needs are.

12. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    for anyone that simply must have a belt pouch.. I know that bravo concealment has some very nice ones. If I were going to use one, it would probably be one of thiers.

13. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    My next mag is in a butt pouch. The ammo cache is in a shoulder bag that rides in front of my left hip when I am standing. Here are a few:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...y-shoulder-bags-olive-drab-gray.aspx?a=884929

The above hold 4 30 rd AR mags

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...canvas-shoulder-bags-olive-drab.aspx?a=956769

The above holds 4 ar mags each

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/5-used-french-military-shoulder-bags-olive-drab.aspx?a=545683
    The above hold 5 30 rd Ar mags, 4 30 rd AK mags or 3 20 RD LR 308 mags each

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/repro-m1-ammo-carry-bag-tan.aspx?a=1009729

14. G21FAN

G21FAN Useless loser Millennium Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Pell City, Alabama
  15. TactiCool

TactiCool

Feb 1, 2012
    Southeast LA.
    WWII was a long time ago. There are more effective solutions in the present day.

http://www.ctoms.ca/products/x-belt-qrps

http://www.skdtac.com/ITW-FASTMAG-p/itw.110.htm

http://www.skdtac.com/marz-tactical-gear-dump-pouch-p/mzt.116.htm

16. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    I prefer a padded belt. Much more comfortable and when the class breaks for lunch and I can drop my load w/ the tug of a strap. I've also started using a G-Code RTI holster. I can move the holster from padded belt to normal belt to a mount on the bed.

Just remember TACO, yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! HSGI TACO pouches are great.

17. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    Since the OP mentioned price, I suggested pouch options in the $3-$8 per shoulder bag range. While the suggestions you made appear to be quality gear, $310 to carry two magazines is 100 times what I have suggested. Top quality gear has its place, don't get me wrong. I usually suggest trying out durable, less expensive gear first, and then buying top end gear only after deciding which carry modes are most ergonomic for the shooting one is kitting up for.

18. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
  19. RatDrall

RatDrall

May 23, 2009
    Real gear is expensive.

Compromising with cheap crap is OK for things that don't matter, like 3 gunning or airsoft, but for real fighting stuff the extra money is well spent.

20. Thanks for all the responses, keep them coming.

I see the benifit in the kydex type holders for the belt. Will majority of them fit a normal belt as well as one of those larger "1st line" padded belts?

I like the look and layout of the Ten Speed chest rig, but I worry about living in Louisiana and how freaking hot it gets here, whether or not I would wear it.

http://www.blueforcegear.com/m4-chest-rig/
    [​IMG]

I might check out my local Army Surplus store for some bags that can tote the junk to the range bench. The old stuff has a cool look to it.