close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

AR 3 gun optic - On a budget - need help...

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by glock21xxx, Feb 8, 2012.

1. glock21xxx

glock21xxx

Apr 10, 2009
    Gents

If you will, please steer me in the right direction....

Looking for a good multi-gun optic that will take a decent amount of abuse. Currently, I run two setups for multi-gun.......irons for less than 100 yards. Some kind of optic (previously an Eotech 511) for greater than 100 yards....

I am looking at the Millet DMS 1-4x or the Burris Tac30. To me, they both look like the same reticle? Same eye relief? Etc....

Anyone have any experience with either?

Also, if you are going to respond with "just buy a Trijicon TR24, Nightforce, etc" it's not entirely in the budget to run a 500-1000 dollar optic currently. Next year I plan to invest in a bigger budget optic (1-4 or greater) if this test tickles my fancy :rofl:

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks in advance!

2. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V

3. glock21xxx

glock21xxx

Apr 10, 2009
    I did consider the vortex - but even their lowest priced 1-4x is nearly 500 and that doesn't count the mount. I have heard a lot of good things about that. Also, I am looking for at least 1-4x magnification

I guess I should throw the Nikon m223 in there......

4. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    I have the Nikon M223 1x4 with the "Point Blank" reticle mount in the Nikon M223 mount on a 16" AR. Work great :) Good eye relief and nice clear glass. I think it was $280 for he scope and $99 for the mount so $380 all told.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. glock21xxx

glock21xxx

Apr 10, 2009
    You do any multi-gun or 3 gun? If so, how does it work in that role? Do you run a switchview on it? IF so, which brand?

Thanks!

6. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Take a good hard look at the Burris Tac 30. Outstanding scope for the money, I have one on my Mini 14 and its great. If you have any specific questions about the scope feel free to ask.

[​IMG]

7. txgunguy

txgunguy

Dec 14, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    If you look hard, you can find an eotech 512 for around 360. www.sportoptics.com has really low eotech prices.

I also have a primary arms m4 clone and it has been great. Holds 0 very well.

If you want something magnified, I can't help you there.

8. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas

I just bought two of the Vortex Crossfire 1.5x4x32 (discontinued model) for $55 each, and free shipping on $99 and over.

They are on closeout in a few places online.

If they suck on my M4 clone, I will stick them one on of my 10/22 and one of one of my many (too many!) airguns.

The lifetime guarantee is nice!

9. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
  10. Minnow

Minnow

Jan 13, 2006
    Techas
    Don't own one yet, but:

I'd pick the Burris MTAC over the Tac 30 because of the 10 intensity digital rotary dimmer switch with off positions between each intensity setting. The MTAC also has a separated power ring and eyepiece to accommodate flip-up lens cover. It cost an extra bill over the Tac 30, but I believe it's worth it.

11. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

Feb 17, 2008
    Cole - I've been pondering this same question recently. Where was your scope manufactered? I noticed that some other recent Burris scope production is from communist China. I can't go that route. Hopefully the Tac models are made in Taiwan or another non-communist country.

12. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

Feb 17, 2008
    By the way, that's an awesome rifle. Oh how I miss my Mini-14's...

13. i run a millett dms in a burris pepr mount currently. i dont run any 3 gun competitions but train quite a bit with some military buddies and run drills from my own combat experience. the millett has been well used but not really abused. i dont throw it down on the optic to test but i have banged it around on gear while running and low crawling etc...

i find that i can run it out to about 50 yards or so with both eyes open as long as teh reticle is illuminated. have to close an eye to concentrate if its too dim. i keep mine on 4x and with the reticle illuminated i can run close cqb and reflexsive fire drills with it. also make clean hits at 400 yards as well, my max range locally.

i too have been looking to upgrade in perceived quality but it has done great for me so far. the dot in a donut reticle is pretty fast as well.

14. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    The markings on my Burris Tac 30 say it is made in the Philippines. Its quality glass for the money, no question.

15. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  16. 1time

1time Lifetime Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Baltimore, Md
    I have a Millet and it works fine for the three gun matches I have attended. Your eye position has to be pretty perfect though.

If I had to do over again I would go with the MTAC or Tac 30 in that order. These two are pretty similar but the controls are better on the MTAC. Either is an improvement over the Millet by a good margin. I think the MTAC or Tac30 are the best scopes on the market for three gun until you hit the $800 to $1000 mark. The Vortex 1-4 have better glass than the MTAC/Tac 30 but the reticule is too busy for run and gun type shooting.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  17. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    For a true 3 gun AR you can not beat the MTAC by Burris. Even if you spent a lot more than the Burris....you wouldn't get that much better.