close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AR .22 Conversion

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by mgentry, Jun 22, 2011.

1. mgentry

mgentry
    Expand Collapse

A friend of mine got a AR-15 22 conversion kit (Black Dog Machine LLC) for his AR. Would you put one of these in your AR? I don't like the idea of shooting lead through my AR barrel. What do you think?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Mongosafari

Mongosafari
    Expand Collapse
    El diablo verde

Don't shoot the lead bullets, shoot premium plated bullets. The instructions tell you to use hyper velocity ammo not standard with lead bullets.

Standard 22 LR rifling is 1:16" twist
    Old A1's have 1:12" close and do stabalize rounds good out to 100 yards.

A2 with 1:7" (at least mine) not so well. A few keyholes and poor grouping out beyond 50 yards compared to the A1 rifle.

The cost saving for ammo/trigger time pays for itself many times over.

I have never tried a 22LR in a 1:9"....

#2 Mongosafari, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  3. shadow65

shadow65
    Expand Collapse

I use the CMMG stainless Evolution Kit with a 1/9. It will give 1.5-2" at 25 yards. It depends on ammo and your particular barrel.
    Aguilla 60 gr. will hold 3/4" at 25 yards.
    Always use copper wash ammo for best results. Winchester bulk, Fed bulk, both sold at WalMart.
    CCI Mini Mags work great in mine but are more expensive.
    Remington is one of the worst for conversions. Dirty, bullet profile is enough different to cause feeding problems.
    Dave

4. jbremount

jbremount
    Expand Collapse

The CMMG stainless 22 conversion kit with my 1/9 barrel gun shoots great.

5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Get an M&P15 .22 instead.

Shot a conversion yesterday, and shot an M&P15.22

Guess which one ran better.......

6. rkwrichard

rkwrichard
    Expand Collapse

I have a CMMG stainless unit and mine is a piece of junk.. I have not been able to get any ammo to run in mine and empty a full magazine without a jam.

Take the money you are going to spend on a Ar .22 conversion and put it in a 10-22 or a marlin model 60.. Why not just get about 500 rounds of good mil spec 5.56 ammo..

Money better spent..

7. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

Conversions can be a royal pain to get running and then the accuracy is just so-so.

The dedicated guns seem to be MUCH better.

8. shadow65

shadow65
    Expand Collapse

I have to ask. Did you contact CMMG? It has a Lifetime warranty.
    Very unusual to get one from CMMG that does not run. Now if it's an older discontinued kit sold at CDNN or CTD, I've not had experience with those.

Thats one of the issues with the conversions. People who have bad experiences with them are usually referring to the old kits by various manufactures. Those issues have been addressed.
    The new Evolution kits run great.
    Dave

#8 shadow65, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  9. rkwrichard

rkwrichard
    Expand Collapse

It was a new blister pack with 3 magazines purchased from Midwayusa.com this past December...

I have not tried to send it back to CMMG---yet

10. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu
    Expand Collapse
    Kydex Crafter

I have several CMMG .22 AR conv kits. They have all run flawlessly. I don't like their mags, I use Black Dog mags.

#10 Deployment Solu, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  11. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

I know his rep for customer service sucks, but I have a Ciener conversion I bought years ago, and it's always run just fine in my 1:9 Bushmaster.

12. michael e

michael e
    Expand Collapse

With the price of these kits I dont understand why someone would go this route over just picking up an complete gun .

13. shadow65

shadow65
    Expand Collapse

The blister kits are the older style kits more than likely sold with 3 mags. Regardless, they still should run and are warrantied through CMMG.
    If you have any issues with warranty, which I doubt you would, let me know. I do field testing for CMMG as an independent tester. I may be able to help.

Depending on where you buy a kit, you won't find a complete AR .22 for that price. Now if you go with the India kit, which is the one designed for L.E. and Military applications, then you are getting in the low price range of an upper.

The low end AR .22's are just that. Uramax, Mossy, are .22's dressed up to look like an AR.

Some others are made with plastic uppers and lowers, but are far better quality than the fakes.

The CMMG's are made with the same parts a standard AR is, minus the stainless BCG and .22lr 1/16 twist barrel.
    They are designed as trainers providing the same trigger, same weight, same functioning controls as a standard AR.

Dave

14. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

Trigger time on the AR at a fraction of the cost (dedicated .22lr upper would be a better, but more expensive solution).

No more room in the gun safe for more rifles.

15. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

I have a ciener kit too. Runs fine in my 1:9 and 1:7 ar's.

16. toddmog

toddmog
    Expand Collapse

What kind of accuracy do you get from your 1:7? I'm considering a CMMG conversion, but seem to hear mixed reviews with the 1:7.

My budget doesn't currently allow for a dedicated upper or a M&P 15-22.

17. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

I'd either get a dedicated 22 upper with appropriate barrel or an M&P 22. Conversion kits seem to be a pain to get going right and only have so so accuracy at best when they do.

18. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

About two inches at 25 yards.

Not as accurate as a bolt.gun or even the marlin 60, but plenty accurate for rolling tin cans around.

I'd go.shoot some groups with it to confirm but my son has it at camp.

#18 vafish, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  19. jbremount

jbremount
    Expand Collapse

My CMMG stainless conversion kit runs flawless. If it fails, it's because of the cheap ammo. This conversion kit runs all day with Federal bulk ammo. I park next to the pond and shoot the CMMG .22kit for a while, then the Ruger 10/22 for a while. Not enough accuracy difference to talk about...... but I will say, the AR is much more fun with my Aimpoint red dot and other goodies on it. Just swap out the BCG and you basically have your same gun. Same sights/scope/red dot...same trigger...same rails...etc/etc. All your personal goodies/mods are still there.

I think CMMG makes the best .22 conversion kits for the AR-15 rifles,period. Especially the newer kits. They have constantly improved their products and have taken the conversion kits to a very high level with their new Evolution series.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/category/.22-Evolution-187/rec/0

#19 jbremount, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  20. jbremount

jbremount
    Expand Collapse

I figure a picture is worth a thousand words, so I saved this picture of the accuracy using a dedicated barrel and a conversion kit with barrels of different twists. As you can see, there is not much gain with a dedicated barrel, except an extra gun to pack. Now,if you are seriously shooting expensive .22 bullets for precision on paper..what's the point of doing it with an AR? Of course, this is my opinion. (the 1/7 accuracy was not as good as the one's posted...and results were removed..go figure)

[​IMG]

#20 jbremount, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011