close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ar-15

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by runandgun7, Dec 28, 2010.

1. runandgun7

runandgun7

Jul 30, 2010
    NH
    Here's my question! Why did you choose to buy a AR-15? Theres no right or wrong answer.
    Thanks

2. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    When I got my first, I was looking to get something "different" than what I had in the past. I wasn't super excited about it, but I was happy to do a "project". My brothers and I bought some RRA stripped lowers and built up some carbines. This was during the "ban" years.

After that, I was hooked. I kept shooting them and buying more... and it was all downhill from there...

3. G27RR

G27RR

Oct 11, 2010
    Texas
    I bought my first two to make sure each of my boys would have one someday. The third one was for me, while the fourth one was to have a precision semiauto in 5.56 (LaRue OBR).

4. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I was already familiar with the platform due to my military days so it just made sense to get an AR15 later. Lightweight, 30 round capacity, very accurate inside of 200 yards, ammo is available in all 50 states, super modular, ergo's are top notch, spare parts are readily available...oh yeah and all the tacticool mallninjas on my block told me to get one for the upcoming 2012 apocalypse.

I went with a piston AR15 just because I liked what I saw and to piss off my die hard d.i. buddies.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  5. mobilecommand

mobilecommand

Jun 27, 2010
    This is kinda weird but this is how it ended up for me..

My first Ar i purchased was because i wanted an AR but knew nothing about em really. I had some spare cash and the GF at the time pissed me off so i showed her lol. I got a 16 in carbine with all the bells and whistles.

Once i decided to do the research and figure out what i actually bought i realized i felt cheated by getting a carbine vs a middy and 1x9 twist vs a 1x7.. "after the first round i shot though my rifle i was hooked on AR's and got the bug"

So i purchase my second ar that was a mid length with everything i though i needed or wanted but also added a gisselle trigger.

At this point ammo was getting expensive so i decided to purchase a m&p15-22 moe and get all the fun of an AR at the cost of a 22.

Once i had 2 16 in rifles and the 22 i really though that was redundant and also wanted to do long range. so i filled out my tax stamp to get my carbine cut to a 10.5 in AR and i ended up purchasing another AR "spr" for long range scoped shooting. 18 in fluted tac driving goodness.

SO now i am up to 4 ar's. At this point i have enough parts that i am building my 5th AR and tacticool it out in pink so when i take my dates to the gun range they could use a pretty in pink weapon of mass destruction.

I am sure a ar 10 is not that far out at this point either lol.

Would i do it again sure would lol.

the only thing i would do different would be to go with a 14.5 in barrel instead of the 16 and perm attach a flash hider.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  6. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Prior to 11B I never had any desire to own an AR. After getting out I messed around w/ a 700, AKs and some handguns. Deep down I wanted an AR after shooting M4s in the Army. So I purchased one after a couple years of wanting it. I only own 4 at this moment but keep telling myself, "STOP!" It hasnt worked yet. Next on tap is a 300BLK, hopefully.

7. Durden

Durden

Oct 5, 2010
    Ergonomics.

That's honestly the main reason for my 'like' of the M4.

To be totally upfront, I really do dig the reliability of the AK, I know it's a subject beaten to death, and I know that many are sick of hearing it, but the AK is more reliable than the AR system, no matter what is written here or anywhere else.

If I could have an AK's reliability crossed with the ergonomics (and iron sites) of an AR (and no, it really doesn't exist; not even with a Krebs), I'd be one happy mofo.

8. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009

Some argue that the SIG556 is very much related to the AK in spirit of design. Its got a rugged AK style bolt and piston system, folding stock, reciprocating right side charging handle, with modern accuracy and way better sights.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  9. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Indiana
    I wanted one. (well actually more than one :rofl:)

10. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

Because, if necessary, I can spell it.

11. dale mcminnis

dale mcminnis

Aug 5, 2006
    na
    I've always been a pistol guy,but I thought I'd get a AR before that rite is infringed upon.Oh yeah,and the upcoming zombie apocolyps:supergrin:.

12. B.Reid

B.Reid

Jun 20, 2005
    Montana
    Bought my first in the early 80's when I was 19 or 20 because they look cool. Have had at least one ever since, I have three now.

13. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

Sep 2, 1999
    ME
    I was a "hand gunner" and wanted a long arm for fun at the range/personal defense if need be. First choice was a HK91, but the cost was out of my range since it was well after the import ban. Still kick myself for not getting one in '89 before the ban went into effect, but I was buying handguns at the time. "Settled" on the AR platform after looking at AKs. Now I have a bunch of them(+ a few AKs too). I could afford to buy a 91 if I stop buying ARs.

FB

14. tomklra14

tomklra14

Sep 17, 2007
    Las Cruces, NM
    I bought one the day the assault weapons ban was signed as an act of defiance, did not really know much about them. I was surprised at the accuracy and the amount of fun they were.

15. KK40384

KK40384

Jun 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I wanted one for when the zombies come.

All kidding aside........I got one because every gun enthusiast should have one and because I like them.

16. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner

Oct 5, 2009
    USA
    I got my first AR because I had a M16 in the Marines. I enjoyed shooting it and it was the obvious choice since I was already trained in it. I've stuck with the platform because it's hard to get the same output from any other rifle for the same amount of money.

Now I always have a AR project that I'm putting together.

17. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I used to own, SKS’s, AK type rifles and a used Mini 14. At that time, that was all that I experience with. Then later a friend let me shoot his AR and I was hooked. I saved up some money and I bought one.

Now, most of my rifles are AR’s except for a Marlin model 80 and a Ruger 10/22 but one of my AR’s is in .22LR also.

18. bushjumper

bushjumper

Jul 12, 2002
    Arizona, USA!
    At first I didn't really like them. I had heard from gun store commandos and others that they jammed, had a poor bullet, were made of plastic, etc.

Then, I actually shot one. I think it's probably one of the most fun i've ever shot (and thats in semi auto trim...just imagine full auto).

Now i've owned a total of four...