close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AR-15 Rock River Arms vs. Colt

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by pingi33pw, Nov 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pingi33pw

pingi33pw

Mar 2, 2009
    AR-15
    Rock River Arms vs. Colt
    Witch would you buy and why?
    Is price or quality the main factor in you selection?

Thank you for your thoughts.....

2. HogGlocker

HogGlocker Owner Since 88'

I have an older RRA...so I can not comment on current production quality. I don't know of any issues on the current runs and can tell you that my older RRA m4 is an axcellet weapon and that it has been 100% reliable and is very accurate....good trigger as well.

Colt is Colt....some drink the kool-aid too much and some drink it for very good reason. I have an older Colt A2....is also an excellent weapon.

I also have 2 MP15....they are excellent as well.

Money drives the choice many people make. There are many excellent AR platforms available:

Colt and RRA are but two.

S&W
    CMMG
    Stag
    LMT
    Bravo Co [in components]
    Sabre
    Daniels Defence
    Charles Daly
    Ruger
    Noveske [very expensive]
    Barret [also very expensive]

Handle and shoot both if you can. There is nothing at all wrong with RRA.

3. In all honesty it depends on what you want the rifle for... if you plan on this gun being a plinker or recreational gun, I don't see a problem with the RRA. If you want to ever use it for HD, competition, or SHTF applications, I would go with the Colt in a heartbeat.

4. jbremount

jbremount

Apr 17, 2005
    Texas

Most probably buy with price/needs in mind, but there are other reasons. For example, Rock River rifles can be had with the Wydle chambering for increased accuracy. Rock River also offers competition and varmint rifles that are quite accurate. Do a little homework and decide what you want in a rifle and go for it. Most manufactures are really trying to satisfy the customer these days with a good product.

5. Twisted Steel

Twisted Steel And Sex Appeal

Apr 28, 2002
    Earth
    I really like my RRA, and don't have a Colt. But if you are willing to spend the money for a Colt, I would get it.

6. Kegel

Kegel

May 9, 2009
    The RRA is considered by most to be a higher quality AR with better QC and reliablity than the Colt. They are less likely to blow up in your face as well. Something to consider. ;)

7. :wow:

8. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
    I don't care for Colt, don't own a Colt, but after reading this, I had to double check my calendar. I thought it was April 1st.:rofl:

9. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
  10. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
  11. Hey Buddy, thanks for your response in the optics thread btw at TOS. :cool:

12. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
  13. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Colt hands down is the far better choice. RRA is a middle tier company that takes short cuts to keep the cost down. That is why you pay less. Less is not more. RRA is not bad but given the choice go Colt.
    pat

14. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    :upeyes:
    WTF man did the Colt CEO piss in your Cheerios or something. Colt is the yard stick by which all other AR's are judged. Most are not as good a few are equal but not many.
    Pat

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  15. fran m

fran m

Mar 7, 2005
    drexel hill pa
    Kegel did have the wink at the end of his post. Sarcasim I suspect.

16. deMontacute

deMontacute NRA Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Louisiana
    Of those two, Colt hands down.

RRA builds their guns to be pretty on the outside, but they cut alot of corners on the internals.

If you'd like some further reading on the subject I suggest perusing these links

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&hl=en

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=360169 (Page 1-3 are the most important, really goes downhill in the teens...)

http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/16001.html

ETA: Don't rule out BCM, LMT, or Noveske too. All are top notch ARs and will serve you well...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  17. MARSH1

MARSH1 Dealer Silver Member

May 21, 2007
    Texas
    IMHO you need to do a lot of reading and decide what type of AR you want before asking what brand. It is a buyers market right now and if you want a basic M4 style AR the Colt 6920 is probably the best value going. They are going for under $1,000 at the Houston gun shows and in some cases less that a similar RRA. Less than a year ago they were pushing $2K. RRA makes a great Varmint AR, their National Match uppers are extremely accurate etc.

18. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

Apr 17, 2000
    drexel hill pa
    what you know about colts?? i bet you dont even own any guns...some people
    :whistling::supergrin:

19. fran m

fran m

Mar 7, 2005
    drexel hill pa
    Colt fan here Bob, Shoot more Colt long guns then anything else. :wavey:

20. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Jul 11, 2003
    Republic of Texas
    Colt. The RRA is slightly cheaper for a reason, and that's the only thing it has over the Colt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.