close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AR-15 or 12 gauge for home defense?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by snowbird.40, Sep 15, 2012.

1. snowbird.40

snowbird.40
    Expand Collapse

Mas - I've read several articles by you and other writers talking about the merits of shotguns and/or AR-15s for a home defense weapon that might be shared by family members.

I currently have a 12 gauge Winchester Super X2 semi auto with a 24" barrel and extended magazine tube with fiber optic sights. It shoots fairly well with slugs and I have a good supply of 00 buckshot. I have two concerns: one is how my wife and daughter would handle the recoil and the other is over penetration as a threat to others within my house and outside as well.

Would an AR be a good compromise - especially loaded with some 40 grain frangible rounds? I suspect my wife and daughter could manage the recoil much better and with a 30-round magazine, a defender can put out a lot of rounds in a hurry should the need arise with an intruder.

Thanks for your insights as always.

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob
    Expand Collapse
    KoolAidAntidote

I'd be inclined toward 55-grain HP in a home defense .223. Telescoping stock AR makes a lot of sense for home defense by various members of the household, who are likely to be of varying physical stature.

best,
    Mas