close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AR-15 magazines TIGHT

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by scottydl, Apr 9, 2013.

1. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

It came with aluminum mags that worked fine, but I prefer the PMags.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #41 dudel, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  2. scottydl

scottydl
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately I haven't heard squat back from CProducts in reference to their website-based email I sent them over 2 weeks ago. :yawn: I wish companies wouldn't provide those "Contact Us" pages if they have no intent on answering incoming messages.

Doesn't really matter now, as the magazine fairy brought me a couple far-superior products to replace the defective aluminum ones:

[​IMG]

3. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen
    Expand Collapse
    Gunfighter

I'm a little late to the party here but several things from the OP struck me as shocking. Dude, you are an LEO and this is your duty rifle. PLEASE get more reliable equipment. I've made some remarks below to the original post:

I don't mean to criticize or offend at all here OP, just want to perpetuate what I feel is a requirement of any weapon my life depends on. I feel a duty weapon qualifies and if it were me, this situation would be unacceptable. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know. If you're department will allow personal purchases of things like PMAGS or other rifle accessories, please PM me. I can help out.

4. scottydl

scottydl
    Expand Collapse

I understand your comments, and always appreciate any suggestions to improve safety. In my particular case...

- I certified/qualified last Fall, and had never fired my rifle before that date. I had assembled it the previous year, but didn't want to develop any bad habits going to the range on my own. While assembling the rifle, I had no fit issues with the Del-ton upper. During the 2-day certification and various ranges of fire, I had no problems with the rifle function other than a general tightness that was explained to me (by our firearms instructor) as being typical with any brand new rifle not "broken in" through frequent handling yet. I bought the upper fully assembled and test-fired, it wasn't something I slapped together myself with minimal training.

- My agency does not provide rifle ammunition for practice beyond the initial qualification. I wish it were otherwise, but it's not. We only have range access one day per month when it gets warm during the Spring/Summer, and I certainly plan to take advantage of that when it starts.

- As I mentioned in my OP, I only noticed the magazine problems recently and of course I quickly brought the issue to the brain trust here at GT. :cool:

- My agency does not provide magazines (or any other equipment) for personal rifles, and as a rifle newbie I had no prior knowledge or experience with AR-15 components other than working with well-worn Colt equipment at an armorer's course several years ago.

- As you can see from my recent post above, I now have Magpul PMags. Until recently, they have been nearly impossible to acquire.

I would be happy to hear any further constructive comments you can offer.

5. PaLEOjd

PaLEOjd
    Expand Collapse

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Get yourself a Colt LE6920, great proven duty rifle. You can find one for a decent price and receive the LEO discount from an authorized dealer.
    I recently picked up another for under $1,200 at a local LE dealer with plenty in stock.
    PMags will run fine, Lancer's are another good choice.

If you are interested in looking at a Colt for a decent price, PM me I can give me my LEO dealer information. They will ship it to FFL of your choice.

#45 PaLEOjd, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Not to dog your "firearms instructor" but he gave you a rather poor explanation.
    Magazines and mag wells do not "break in". Some of the alloy USGI
    mags swell at the top due to the pressure being exerted on the feed lips
    from the ammunition and spring pressure. PMags are good, Tango Down
    mags are good. HK mags are heavier, but built like tanks!

Oh yea,......take those CProducts mags behind shop and smash them with a hammer.

#46 faawrenchbndr, Apr 29, 2013
  7. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This.

If your magazines are tight in your magwell, that isn't a "break in" issue.

8. scottydl

scottydl
    Expand Collapse

Just to clarify, the tight magazines were not suggested as being subject to break-in. That instructor comment was related more to just the overall smoothness (or lack thereof) of the rifle's firing process. My terminology may be lacking.

And yes, the two CProducts mags that were found to be swollen are GONE!

9. Jason D

Jason D
    Expand Collapse
    INFRINGED
    Silver Member Millennium Member
    1. Project Mayhem

Well that is surely not what I wanted to hear.
    I would have hoped they would have stood behind their product no matter what. I will file that little tid bit for future reference.

I am also dismayed at your department not providing you adequate weapons, ammo, and equipment to get the job done. I know ammo is hard to get now, but still....

10. scottydl

scottydl
    Expand Collapse

My department's policies on firearms equipment are pretty typical to all others in my area. There is simply not enough rifle ammo in reserves for them to provide to every officer for practice. Just the reality of things now. Maybe other cities/states are different in that regard. We do get 100 rounds/month of handgun range ammo if we go to open range.

I have everything else I could possibly need equipment-wise, but rifle magazines and ammo do not fall into that category.

11. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses
    Expand Collapse
    Hooah, Hooah.

Whoever suggested you might develop bad habits shooting on your own, is wrong.

Go shoot your gun, a whole bunch! Your life and the people around you probably deserve better, especially if you are running around with a badge on.:faint:

#51 eyelikeglasses, Apr 29, 2013
  12. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I very strongly disagree.

13. FireForged

FireForged
    Expand Collapse
    Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

yeppers.. if you download by one (or 2), it usually fixes this problem. If not, I would ditch that mag all together. I really doubt its a receiver issue.

14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Good to hear you have sorted this out Scotty'