close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AR-15 magazines TIGHT

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by scottydl, Apr 9, 2013.

1. scottydl

scottydl
    Expand Collapse

I am LEO and carry an AR-15 on duty daily. Rock River lower, Del-ton upper and internal parts, and several Magpul accessories. Other than range qualification, the most action the rifle has seen (so far) is this:

(1) Beginning of shift: Function check, into the bag & trunk
    (2) End of shift: Out of the trunk, back into my locker

Lately when I remove the magazine and function check, the mag has been REALLY tight in the well. So tight that it's difficult to depress the release button and strip the mag out. What's going on?

They are cheapish metal mags... maybe it's time to upgrade to P-mags. Does the pressure of internal spring or constantly-loaded rounds push the metal outward over time? Or is there something in the mag well or lower receiver I should be looking at? Obviously I want this rifle to be in good working condition, should I ever need to deploy it!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. WayaX

WayaX
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Define "cheapish metal mag", as aluminum USGI magazines are what the system was designed around. Chances are, it is the lower and not the magazines if it is tight with aluminum mags (provided they're of decent quality - NHMGT/Colt or D&H, or one of the many stores that contracts from them).

If you're experiencing tight USGI magazines, Magpul Pmags will most likely be either the same or worse. Is the lower coated with anything like Teflon or paint?

Lastly, USGI aluminum magazines (and Pmags too) can bulge. If they're doing this, replace them. To test if the welds are weakening, load the magazine and give the bottom a solid smack. If a round(s) come out, it's time to send the magazine to dump.

3. lilglockboy

lilglockboy
    Expand Collapse

Check to see if the mags may have been bent or crimped in some way from being in the back trunk. Also if they are new mags maybe to much coating. Wait until they wear.

4. samuse

samuse
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like a bunch of junk.

Either the lower is out of spec or something is wrong with your magazine.

5. txleapd

txleapd
    Expand Collapse
    Hook 'Em Up

I would suggest you upgrade to Pmags when you get the chance. I firmly believe that are the best mags around.

Keeping it loaded should not negatively effect a quality mag, either the body or the springs.

When I was in the Corps we would put together ordnance packages for each of our anticipated missions for Air Alert and forward deployment. The packages included pre-loaded rifle mags. The packages would be loaded onto pallets, segregated by mission, and stored in the ship's magazine. When needed a package could be brought up and distributed within minutes.

Some of those mags would stay loaded to capacity for the better part of a year. Then our battalion Gunner would pull random mags and test for function. We never had a mag not function properly.

What wears a mag out is constant movement of the springs. Not compression. A properly made mag should also not show any deformation simply because it is loaded, or kept loaded.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

As others have stated,....mag or receiver issue.

I have always preferred straight USGI 20 round mage over all others.
    They are built like tanks, never an issue with followers.

7. BenjiEDF

BenjiEDF
    Expand Collapse

Are you loading all 30 rounds in a USGI mag and inserting on a closed bolt? Cause that's a known issue.

8. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

does it do the same with an empty or downloaded mag?

9. scottydl

scottydl
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the replies thus far. Additional note, I've had this combo for 1-2 years and this too-tightly-fit just started within the last week. When in the trunk, the rifle + mags are kept in a padded rifle bag. That doesn't mean they won't bounce around a bit and risk damage, but they are protected somewhat.

I'm not sure if these mags are USGI or not. I bought 5 of them NIP from someone here on GT a couple years ago.

Knew about that and I keep 28 rounds loaded.

I thought of testing that and will try it out when I get back to work tomorrow.

10. pag23

pag23
    Expand Collapse

Do the mags function at the range when shooting? Any issues with fail to feed or any other malfunction?

Is it doing this with all the mags or just one?

11. lilglockboy

lilglockboy
    Expand Collapse

Test put a new mag. Preferably a pmag. If it works then toss the other ones that do not work in the trash.

12. Tom P

Tom P
    Expand Collapse

I'm a fan of P-Mags, but I had a Superior lower that P-Mags would not fit in. No problems with USGI mags.

The USGI mags are aluminum, are your tight mags aluminum?

13. lilglockboy

lilglockboy
    Expand Collapse

14. DWARREN123

DWARREN123
    Expand Collapse
    Grumpy Old Guy

If they worked well for awhile and then started getting hard to inset/remove I would say then mags are swelling. See if you can check them in another rifle and other mags in yours.
    Easiest way to check. Hope this helps. :supergrin:

15. PaLEOjd

PaLEOjd
    Expand Collapse

What is the name on the floorplates of your duty mags? We were issued "Parsons Precision Products" AR mags with the green followers years ago BUT have the option to use our personally owned PMags if we elect to do so. Never had a problem from the USGI mags.

16. Drjones

Drjones
    Expand Collapse

Yeah sounds to me like a mag issue if it just started happening.

Unless you've been feeding your AR high-fat ammo or something, I doubt the lower would suddenly swell up. :supergrin::rofl:

17. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Sound like it's time for some new mags.......

18. P99er

P99er
    Expand Collapse
    AKA PPQ'er

He didn't say the lower was swelling, but that the MAGAZINE may be swelling. That is a possibility.

19. Drjones

Drjones
    Expand Collapse

It was a joke dude. ;)

20. cfrye11

cfrye11
    Expand Collapse

When's the last time the gun was cleaned ? Any time you have an issue you should start with a fresh cleaned gun.

molan labe