close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

AR-15 Help

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Ryan-17, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Ryan-17

Ryan-17

Jan 18, 2010
    hey guys! I am looking into getting an Ar-15 I know there are millions of threads on this topic but I want what's best for me and my needs. I have never owned an Ar, just shot one or 2 before. I am just looking for a reliable weapon and something to bug-out with or protect my home with.

I was looking at the S&W m&p 15 sport, looks nice but doesn't have a dust cover or forward assist... its that a big deal or not???

also don't know if I should build my own or just buy one, I don't want to mess it up, and I want it to be reliable.

my budget is not a penny more than $1,000

Thanks in advance!!!!!

2. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    Don't have much to add but we need more info. What type of optics? What kind of environment do you live in? How much training do you have or intend to get regarding the rifle? What else are you planning on doing with the rifle? Does your budget of $1,000 include the optic, magazines, ammo and other options?

If you ask me, I would suggest your first AR be bought complete.

3. Ryan-17

Ryan-17

Jan 18, 2010
    sorry about the lack of info, I didn't know what else to add.
    To answer your questions-

Optics- iron sights are fine for now, I don't need to hit a target a mile away. I will upgrade or add optics later.

Environment- I live in California, north of sacramento. Hot in summer. cold, wet and rainy in the winter.

Training- I have shot a military surplus M-16 in the police academy, and thats about it. I will train frequently with my new AR when I get it, example- Run & gun, LE type training and occasional target practice

Magazines- I would like to have a few extra magazines in the price (about 5 to 7) for bug out bag, or training

Ammo- I would also like a few thousand rounds saved up just in case but I can buy a little at a time so its not included in my budget price of the weapon.

anything else?- would like to have a sling (for run and gun practice), adjustable stock, and later down the road I will probably add a light and forward grip but thats down the road.

4. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

Nov 19, 2008
    St. Joseph MO
  5. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    I own a M&P 15 Sport and personally feel that it is a great rifle for what you describe. If it is going to be used for range use, run and gun type games, and possibly be deployed in a HD role, it should fit your needs.

If you are LE and are going to be using it for high round count and hard use carbine courses, I can't state one way or the other. There is one story about how the rifle performed at Gunsite, but S&W was onsite. That review can be found here http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ger/-gun-review-smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport/ Some on this forum will say that it can't do it, but I don't know of any other tests. The market for this gun is not the type that are using it for professional use though.

As far as needing a forward assist and dust cover, that is a huge debate as well. I do not have a need for forward assist at all. I would like a dust cover, but since my use is range use and hunting, it is not necessary. I am able to keep my gun clean and functioning. Some are going to come on here and say that they wouldn't bet their life on this gun for HD because it isn't built to mil-spec or the chart, but I question that logic. The Remington 870 is not "mil-spec" either and was produced as a sporting arm, yet there are a lot of homes that are being protected by one.

6. Ryan-17

Ryan-17

Jan 18, 2010
    I am starting to stray away from the m&p sport. Is there anything just one step above an m&p sport with a dust cover and forward assist???

7. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    It depends....why are you losing interest in the M&P 15 Sport? Is it just because of dust cover and forward assist? The next step in the M&P line is probably the M&P 15 optics ready. However, with that rifle, you don't get any sights and I feel that the barrel on the Sport is better. Both are 4140, however the Sport is melonite treated with a 1:8 twist. The OR carbine is chrome lined barrel with 1:9 twist.

Or you can go up to the M&P Model 15t (the newer one). That one appears to have the same barrel as the Sport and also has a quad rail on it. Not sure what the street price is. You can compare the models here http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_757785_-1_757784_757784_image

I feel the Sport is a good value, but the higher you go up in price, the more options you have with other brands as well. None of these rifles are "mil-spec" if that is what you are looking for.

8. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Before too many jump in with suggestions, realize the OP lives in California, which comes with it's own PITA restrictions.

9. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    Good point. I know the Sport can be had in a CA compliant model, and assume the other S&W rifles do as well...

Honestlty, not sure I would even be interested in the AR if I lived in those restrictive states.

10. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    They had them there Wednesday when I was there buying stuff... That price actually went up I think i paid 940 from there back in September. The elite operator on rock rivers site is on sale for 1068 including tax with free shipping. Comes with 3 30 rd mags all you'd really need is a sling.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  11. cfec2008

cfec2008

May 2, 2010
    look around at gun shows and the net and try to find a good complete lower, and buy a bcm upper from their website. I think if youll spend some time looking pretty well that you can make your 1k budget. Good luck .

12. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    You cannot go wrong with the S&W Sport, and as you know they make a CA compliant model.

Use the savings for mags, and ammo, Aimpoint, ect. Good luck.

13. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Good eyes Brandon. I was just going to point that out.

First problem you have will be with magazines. In CA compliant ARs, the magazine (10 round) is affixed to the AR lower and is not to be removed as long as it is in-state. Additionally, there may also be an issue with ammunition. You need to check the CA laws regarding ARs and ammo purchases. You will also need to see which companies make a CA legal AR.

14. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    The mag can be removed, you just have to have it configured to need a tool for the removal. That's where things like the bullet button come in - it converts the usual mag release button into a tool-required magazine release.

Still sucks.

Honestly, if I lived in CA, I'd look at something like an SKS or Mini-14 long before an AR, just to get around some of the butt-pain.

15. Ryan-17

Ryan-17

Jan 18, 2010
    yea I know CA sucks but I have to adapt and overcome!

16. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Its not a big deal man. Pick up a stripped lower from a local shop (89-125 bucks depending on what and where you buy), buy a 19 dollar bullet button from Riflegear.com- they are in Fountain Valley and ship in like 2 days. Then look into BCM or Palmetto state armory uppers. You can put together a very solid rifle for 800 bucks from Palmetto or BCM. I am a Palmetto fan myself so my advice would be to look at their entire rifle kits.

The rifle kits come with everything needed (excluding a rear site) to turn your stripped lower into a rifle. If you go with a BCM upper you will have to snag a lower parts kit and stock. Example---if you did a stripped lower with a BCM upper, Daniel Defense lower parts kit and then a BCM standard carbine stock kit you would probably still be under the 1K price range. That being said you could also do a Palmetto state armory hammer forged rifle kit and be under the 1k mark also, that would be a damn fine rifle too.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  17. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Out of curiosity (since I don't keep up with CA law) does the BB mean you can have bayonet lugs and flash hiders? I know it allows pistol grips and collapsible stocks, but the bayo lug and FH have always made me wonder...

18. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Aug 21, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    The Sport is a great little rifle, perfect starter AR. The dust cover and forward assist can always be added later if you want, by changing out the upper receiver. This will only set you back about $100, I did this on my Sport.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not a total newb, lol, I appreciate a quality rifle. I've got a few nice ones on my bench in progress right now. But no joke, I genuinely regret selling my Sport, and plan to get another one soon.

19. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Yes, once you have the BB you are set.