close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AR 15 for home defense

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Petrie, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Petrie

Petrie
    Expand Collapse

I was curious how many of you guys have an AR-15 as the primary home defense weapon? Also what kind of ammo do you use. I sure wouldn't shoot a FMJ in the house at someone, so I figure you guys must use a 45 gr psp or something that'll mushroom. When I bought my AR the salesman said that it might not be as reliable with non fmj rounds. I have a 9mm pistol as my home defense weapon, but was interested what you AR guys use.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

There are better choices out there for HD.I prefer a railed pistol or a shotgun/w-light.My HD is a G23 or a mossy 590 w-low recoil 00 buck.YMMV.'08.

3. crazypilot

crazypilot
    Expand Collapse
    ERAU Alumni '05

I have Hornady TAP 75gr (5.56) loaded in my mags. My rifle is close by and can get to it quick but the handgun is easier to manuver around my house. However, I trust the rifle more than the handgun.

4. Norcal911

Norcal911
    Expand Collapse

The AR is a great HD weapon. There are many many tests that show that the 5.56 penetrates less than almost any reasonable pistol round. FMJ's break apart very quickly upon striking just about anything due not only to their high velocity but also their extremely high rotational velocity. Your 9MM is much more "dangerous" when looked at from an over-penetration point of view. AR also points more naturally, holds more rounds, has a far greater range, recoils less, can defeat most body armor, and is more likely to produce a one shot stop than any 9MM (or .40, .45, etc). I would never choose a pistol for a gunfight, I just always have a pistol on me so its more likely that I'll have to engage with it. When there is a higher probability of an armed confrontation (felony stop, active shooter, high risk entry, etc), I always take my AR-Norcal911

5. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

I guess I have nothing more to add, Norcal911 covered it pretty well.

If you live in an apartment I would use some 50 or 55 grain HP's. They will penetrate less wallboard than any 9mm.

6. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt
    Expand Collapse
    EMT-B

20" Oly Arms with M193

7. RMTactical

RMTactical
    Expand Collapse
    www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

AR15 carbine with XM193 or Black Hills 68gr OTM. That is my first choice for home defense.

8. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

M4gery with Winchester 62 grain FMJs. I have no worries they will overpenetrate and they will defeat body armor with less kick than my 9mm G34. Plus, it just looks cool, mang!

9. Andrewsky

Andrewsky
    Expand Collapse

I just load mine with 5.56 55 gr FMJs (M193).

10. Javelin

Javelin
    Expand Collapse
    Got Glock?
    Silver Member

This. And if your AR is a suppressed shorty then all the better IMO :supergrin:

11. blueroot

blueroot
    Expand Collapse

I've been wondering about the AR vs. handgun for home defense issue. I have both, but I'm not convinced the AR is always better. I like the maneuverability of the pistol in the tighter spaces of the house and hallways. The rifle is easier to shoot accurately at any real distance, but in the confines of the house, unless shooting down a decent length hallway, I'm not sure that is a slam dunk reason to give up the maneuverability.

Edit: Removed a chart where I goofed the calculation and formed bad assumptions from bad data. Oops. :)

#11 blueroot, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  12. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure what a force of impact is, or how you can predict the greater leathality of a 165gr Gold Dot vis a vis a 55gr FMJ. To me, an AR carbine (M4 type), with an Aimpoint/EOTech gives faster target acquisition times (especially engaging multiple felons, which is common in home invasions) and split times. What are your split times between the two platforms on single/multiple targets?

The 165gr Gold Dot is well down my list as a pistol/revolver self defense load and it creates less of a crush cavity compared to the 55gr FMJ/75gr TAP.

Bob :cowboy:

13. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

Yes, what is force of impact?

14. blueroot

blueroot
    Expand Collapse

Sorry. I forgot to mention that I was using the standard physics equation for force. Force = mass * velocity^2. The numbers in the grid are ratios, so the 75 grain produces 18% more force than the 180 grain, etc.

Maybe the higher velocity wound cavity is significantly more damaging such that the lower grain rifle hits are indeed worse than even the 165 grain round despite the overall force being less. I have no idea really, I'm just tryingto work through the angles of rationale.

15. mymini40

mymini40
    Expand Collapse

Your problem here is overpenetration.. if you use the AR.

16. blueroot

blueroot
    Expand Collapse

I have an EOTech on my AR (16" barrel) and it is very fast, no doubt, when there is space to swing around and not worry about banging into walls and bookshelves. At very close quarters (five feet or so), aiming isn't quite the same issue and being able to use the pistol one handed while the other hand does something else seems like an advantage.

It really does seem like the ideal scenario is a pistol on the hip and an AR in the hand, but when you roll out of bed and have to grab something fast, it is probably one or the other.

17. blueroot

blueroot
    Expand Collapse

If they are hollow point, I'm not sure it is any more of an issue than with the pistol. At least from some ballistics reports I've read. I'm certainly no expert though.

18. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

Is that like "knockdown power"?:whistling:

19. blueroot

blueroot
    Expand Collapse

I never said anything about "knockdown". It is just a physics equation that has been around for ages and age. Force isn't a meaningless concept.

20. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

For our purposes, it kinda is. Not nearly that simple.