Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

AR-15 Americas Rifle?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Happypuppy, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Do you think it is time to crown the AR-15 officially Americas Rifle?
    It is now the most popular rifle in the USA . A lot of the attributes that allow the 1911 to be called Americas handgun hold true.

Long History of use, starting with the 10 in '58.
    Very popular , many makers of them

Jams easily ( a cheap shot but cleaning and service is a must on both)

What do you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Hard to say. There are plenty of other claims for something I'd call "America's Rifle" - Winchester 94, M1 Garand, Remington 700, Winchester 70, etc.

3. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    I think it'd take a few more years to call it "America's Rifle". The AR has only been mainstream a few years.

IMO the Garand is the reason we're not speaking German right now with Japanese navy ships patrolling the waters off the west coast.
  4. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

Feb 19, 2010
    Third Rock From the Sun
    My vote is for the Garand or .06 bolt action model 70
  5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    There are soooooo many possibles.
  6. bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC
    Let's not forget about the Atomic bombs, that's the reason Japanese ships aren't patrolling the water off the west coast.

To the OP, I think it's got just as good of a claim to be "America's Rifle" as any other rifle mentioned. Doubt it'll be coined "America's Rifle" if the media gets wind of it :rofl:
  7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Well, hell, it's been on active duty long enough.
  8. 3RASER

Feb 1, 2012
    I would vote Garand for America's rifle, and the 1911 America's pistol. JMHO
  9. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    Well, there are other forums where we could debate that Hitler lost the war more than we won it:supergrin:

The Garand was a distinct improvement over the bolt action rifles that our enemies issued, and when you think WW2 you picture an American soldier holding a Garand.
  10. mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    First we need to deal w/ the misconceptions portrayed by those not knowledgeable w/ the platform.

What is a "jam?" A yummy sandwich spread? I like strawberry.

If you mean malfunctions easily you are wrong. There are countless tests and accounts of ARs going well into the tens of thousands of rounds w/o cleaning. I personally put a few thousand through mine w/o cleaning or any issues.
  11. tango44

Jun 16, 2005
    Miami Florida
    Another vote for the M1 Garand.
  12. Don't think that the AR-15 being the popular 'flavor of the month (or decade)' would make it "americas rifle.

But if something else never comes along, it's probably on its way to having that as an unofficial title among small groups.

I vote for the M1...the rifle that actually won a war. The M4/AR15 is only holding stagnant in a "conflict".
  13. smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    A person can find an AR type rifle in any LGS and even Wal-Mart’s. They seem to be today’s most common firearm. On that note, I would say its America’s Rifle.
  14. I say it's Americas Rife based on life and popularity. The 1903 was pretty much just used for training by the time WWII rolled around. The Garand lasted until Korea and by the end of that War it was superseded by the M14. The first Armerlite Stoner Family out in 1956-58 and since the Mid 60's we have had variants of it use

The longest modern rifle? I was surprised to see the little .30 Carbine in use from 1942 until the end of Vietnam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  15. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    I agree. ARs are no doubt very popular, but calling it Americas rifle is a stretch.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  16. humanguerrilla

Jul 25, 2006
    the woods
    Gets my vote for Americas Rifle.

Mozambique's flag gets the AK. So does the coat of arms of Zimbabwe, East Timor, Hezbollah, and the Iranian IRGC.

We have the opportunity when Puerto Rico becomes a state to add the Ar15 to our flag. If not us then who? + A ton of fancy accessories and a can.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  17. John Biltz

John Biltz

Jul 27, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    The M1 was in active service for about a third of the time that the AR has been in service, so far. It was adopted as the main rifle in 1969 and had been in wide use before then. Its been nearly 44 years since then. Might as well say the Kentucky Long Rifle as the M1 in my opinion.

18. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    M1 Garand had a brief (about a dozen years really) but very distinguished service record.

The M16 has been the primary infantry service weapon for over 50 years! So yeah its got the chops to be called Americas Rifle. And WAY more civilians own/shoot/compete with ARs than own Garands. That's not even close.

The Kentucky rifle comment is interesting but it was never an issued military arm and it actually had fairly brief run as well. What is generally considered a Kentucky rifle were made from about the mid 1770's until about the early 1800's until the caplock came into vogue and by then most of the "west" (up to the Missouri river) had been settled and the need for the long rifle waned. There were also several different regional schools of gunmakers that produced KY rifles but no standard caliber ever existed. They were all pretty much custom built flintlocks. Besides, we fought wars back then with smooth bore militia muskets and we beat the British by squaring off on a battlefield with formed infantry shooting smooth bore Brown Bess and Charleyville Muskets. Not by sniping at them from behind trees as legend would have it.

Probably the gun with the longest service record in the Americas would be the Brown Bess...versions of which were carried by local militia and standing Armies for over 150 years--both before and after the Revolution of course.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012

19. note I never said I liked the M1 because of its service life..:whistling:
  20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Jam is a common short term for "malfunction" used by people who shoot guns, instead of reading about them. Your response, on the other hand, is about like those guys who correct everybody at the gun shop on "clip" vs. "magazine" and then don't realize that the more experienced shooters are laughing at them for being a newb.