Appendix Carry Tips

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by nolacop, Feb 12, 2014.

1. I have tried it a few times but i just cant get comfy with it. It digs in especially when seated. Im hoping it was the crappy iwb i was using and would like some feedback on comfy appendix holsters. I dont have a big gut, so that's not the issue. Im a fan of the appendix location due to quickness of draw so im hoping ya'll can provide some tips. I will be carrying a G26. Thx

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Appendix carry and seatbets? Carry Issues Jul 3, 2015
    Appendix carry G19 holster Carry Issues Jul 3, 2015
    Larry Vickers Bans Appendix Carry in his Classes Tactics and Training Jun 20, 2015
    Blade Tech Klipt Appendix Carry Holster Carry Issues Mar 6, 2015
    best holster for appendix carry glock 26/27/33? Carry Issues Feb 14, 2015

3. I think part of the problem is the name itself. I find the most comfortable position is actually almost to the belly button. In other words, much more forward than the 'appendix.' Furthermore, any variation off that 'sweet spot', once you find it, results in some discomfort.

4. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

I concur - moving more center line is key for comfort. Too far to the side and it will definitely dig into your groin area when sitting. The trick is going to be to find a quality holster that holds true and does not rotate or cant on its own.

5. I'm 6'3" and weigh 180lbs. I carry a G23 in a Serpa Holster that I've removed the paddle/belt attachment. I find it comfortable most of the time but back problems have forced me from the typical 3:00 position. Appendix wasn't my first choice for carry but it's working fine.

6. WT

WT
    Millennium Member

For my Glock 26 I use an Archangel holster by Dale Fricke.

Reasonably comfortable. I have to admit that the Archangel works/feels slightly better with a J-frame snubby.

7. You carry a Serpa Holster Appendix IWB with the paddle/belt attachement removed? Like, just the plastic holster part, shoved in your pants? No clip on? Serpa button functioning?

8. I do. The button functions. No clip in use. I'm searching for a real holster once I decide if this mode will work for a carry position.

9. It depends on the holster and length of holster and gun. I can carry my LC9 AIWB in an N82 Tactical which is THE most comfortable holster in the drawer. I can't carry my Glock AIWB because its too long and digs into my leg(s).

10. AIWB carry isn't for everyone, and here's a good summary of the risks/benefits
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?120-AIWB-(Appendix-Carry)

Being thin makes it harder for me to carry anything larger than a 26 behind 3:00. I can pull it off with a 19 in an MTAC. That holster keeps the gun very tight to the body, but my draw is slower than I would like with that setup because I can't get an ideal grip on the draw.

AIWB solves those problems really well. Even a G17 disappears, and my draws from concealment are smoking fast, even with winter clothes.

I have seen some heavier guys carry AIWB very effectively by letting the holster ride a bit lower. It seems to work better with a larger gun, and is virtually invisible. It takes the right holster though, and I've only seen three that really work well: Keeper, Shaggy, and JMCK. Here's my JM Custom for a G19:

[​IMG]

I add a pad to tip the muzzle out. That way it doesn't sweep anything "important", and doesn't dig when I sit.

[​IMG]

#9 Clusterfrack, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  11. Try a JMCustom Kydex Holster. If you want to buy local try RM Holsters in Baton Rouge, LA.

12. Yeah, please do. Scary enough with a good holster.

13. barth

barth six barrels

Go with OWB.
    I prefer Crossfire Elite Traverse holsters.
    And a quality belt - I.E. Galco SB5.
    Using a 4", or shorter barrel, is preferable.

#12 barth, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  14. JM Custom for sure. Awesome aiwb that I use daily.

15. I've been through quite a few holsters. For a pistol the size of the G26, check out the Quick Cover from CCC. I carry an M&P 9c in one every waking hour with the pinkie rest magazine.

16. I'm currently using a Cross Breed for AIWB carry but there is a bit too much leather on the bottom. I'm thinking I'll either cut the excess off or find something different.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

17. Nolacop,

1. Use short barrel guns only. Longer ones dig into intimate parts of the anatomy.

2. No sharp edges ANYWHERE. They cut into you sitting or bending over or such.

3. Thin holsters work best. The gun is thick enough without adding more by an extra think holster. Ultra thin Kyndex works real well.

4. The IWB holster made for appendix needs to be a belt loop. Clips sometimes allow the holster to work out.

5. KYFFOTFT when holstering or drawing!

Deaf

18. In my experience, LONGER guns work better AIWB. The muzzle rides between your thigh and your junk. This assumes a "Keepers" style holster.

19. Lol, you keep making a case for AWIB but I just keep getting more weirded out. I had to give it a try for a bit and there is NO WAY my 170 lb body can sit there with a gut full of gun pointed at my beans. To each their own. I do see the advantage in the car.