close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Apparent contradictions in Genesis

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Vic Hays, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Japle

Japle John, Viera, Fl

Feb 26, 2000
    Viera, Florida
    I've listened to many hours of people trying to explain Biblical contradictions. It always comes down to the same old hooey.

"That's not what it really says", followed by a line of BS based on something that's not in Genesis at all, but sounds reasonable to the speaker.

"We're only human and have no business questioning the inspired word of God". I call this the "We are not worthy" answer.

2. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Why do the pagans and atheists spend so much time trying to prove religious people are wrong?

3. Have you asked snowbird why he spends so much time arguing against Islam?

Speaking for myself, here are a few reasons:
    • Religious faith is dangerous.
    • Religion is not compatible with a sustainable world civilization.
    • The religious (certainly Christians) insist on pushing their morals on society as a whole (stem cell research, homosexuality, contraception, abortion).
    • Interference with science education and attempts to understand the world/universe that we live in. To many religious people/groups science is a threat to how literally they interpret Genesis, so science must be undermined. Science is not needed because the Bible has the answers, God did it.
    -ArtificialGrape

4. FifthFreedom

FifthFreedom

Jul 6, 2005
    Pa
    UM, Joshua wrote the ending of Deuteronomy. :whistling:

5. ksg0245

ksg0245

Feb 28, 2008
    California
    It isn't so much trying to prove them wrong as it is getting them to support their claims with objective, verifiable evidence.

6. Japle

Japle John, Viera, Fl

Feb 26, 2000
    Viera, Florida
    ksg0245, I think what you mean is "trying to get them to support their claims with objective, verifiable evidence".

They can't actually do it, but challenging them to try keeps them on their toes.

7. ksg0245

ksg0245

Feb 28, 2008
    California
    Right on both counts.

8. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Jan 12, 2007
    outside the wire perimeter.
    Well, a parable does not indicate who or what made stars. As far as I'm concerned, current scientific knowledge and research indicates that either the stars were created, or although scientifically impossible, stars formed all by themselves anyway.

Genesis Chap 1 indicates that the Creator made the stars by using His Word. True science cannot refute this claim/assertion, and by the same token, true science can and does prove, beyond all doubt, the stars are actually there.

Go figure huh? :cool:

9. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Mar 22, 2004
    It isn't scientifically impossible, we can see stars in various stages of formation all through the cosmos.
    How is science supposed to refute "the Creator made the stars by using His Word."? What is testable about that claim? What science can, and does, do is show how stars can form without requiring supernatural intervention.
    I'm still waiting for you to reveal the great secret of Lucy's knee, it's only been four years so far but Duke Nukem Forever finally came out so I suppose anything is possible.

10. ksg0245

ksg0245

Feb 28, 2008
    California
    Doesn't it say "he also made the stars"?

Could you please provide links to both the research demonstrating the impossibility of stars forming by themselves, and the research indicating they were "created"?

That's all it is; an unsupported assertion by an unknown long dead author.

It does so by observation and experimentation. Have any deities been observed by any scientists?

11. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Have you picked up a basic ancient history primer? The people of the Mesopotamian region typically documented their kings and gods, and refused document negative events. On the other hand in scripture, if a king did evil, it was very well documented. The Old Tesament is very explicit about all wrong doing from the higest to the lowest, sparing no one from rebuke.

You will not find that type of documentation in an historical record in that region.

12. Except God who gets a free pass, no matter what he does.

13. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Ah, yes. The God that created life and everything that you have and own. The God who allowed free will, even if it meant bad decisions. The God who came to earth, was born in extreme poverty in an animal food troph in a cave. The same God who lived in the poorest part of the country in which he took carnate form. The same God who lived in a blended family, and wasn't appreciated by his step-brothers. The same God who was slandered, maligned, while offering healing and salvation. The same God who was beaten, tortured, and murdered to provide a way of escape for you and everyone else.

The same God, who despite all those things you reject and slander. You mean that God?

14. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Mar 22, 2004
    Quite a few actually.
    That's simply untrue, I've already cited one example that is contrary to your claim.
    And they all follow the same theme, straying from proper worship of the biblical God. They aren't historical accounts, they're story to reinforce the need to worship God and follow the commandments contained in scripture.

As for the claim that negative stories about monarchs aren't recorded, it is simply untrue. There are numerous instances of negative accounts regarding rulers in the area, take the stories of Naram-Sin as an example.
    Yes, we do. Lugalanda of Lagash is another example, attested to in the primary source material who isn't portrayed in a flattering way.

15. I mean the hypocritical God who says one thing and then does something else. I mean the God who has a temper tantrum about the Garden of Eden and holds a grudge against the descendants of Adam, Eve, and that ancient snake, indefinitely but tells me to forgive seven times seventy. I mean the God who says he loves me but threatens to send me to Hell if I don't worship him even though he gives no concrete evidence that he exists. I mean the God that allows innocent children to die horrible deaths every day and does nothing about it but claims he is a God of love. I mean the God who takes credit for everything good and blames everything bad on humans and Satan.

16. Snapper2

Snapper2

Feb 22, 2008
    s.east Texas
    Didnt He give concrete evidence to Adam? If He did either Adam didnt believe Him or wanted his own way.

17. Japle

Japle John, Viera, Fl

Feb 26, 2000
    Viera, Florida
    This argument is based on a monumentally invalid assumption.

18. I'm aware of the myth. Where is the evidence that Adam actual existed? Before you say it, the Bible is not evidence that Adam existed. A book of mythology is not evidence that a myth is fact.

Where is this statement coming from?

19. Peace Warrior

Jan 12, 2007
    The book of Genesis, IIRC, does not state that stars are "in various stages of formation." In Gen, beginning at verse 14 (i.e., THE Forth day) and ending here with verse 19, but while paying particular attention to the last part of verse 16, the Holy Bible states the following:

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.​

As I'm sure you will have to agree, these verses concerning star creation in Genesis make no implication that stars are "in various stages of formation," but rather that He made the stars also. Period.

Even so, -am,- if you know of one star that science has observed forming, or that is "in [a] various stage of formation," please give me a link or reference to this star as that very well may be a contradiction to the verse in Genesis.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  20. Peace Warrior

Jan 12, 2007
    Technically, Gen 1:16 states, He made the stars also. However, this is not a parable, this is a statement of fact detailing a certain event at a certain point/day in the creation process.

I'll start with your last point first, as I never stated such.

I reiterate, all available research I could find indicates that stars cannot form by themselves. I've never said that research indicates they were created. The last part of Gen 1:16 states they were created. Science/Research cannot disprove this assertion.

The scientific evidence is overwhelmingly against the star theory formation, shall we begin with the "big bang" explosion and the impossibility of stars to form at all?

But if you find something to contradict Gen 1:16, please let me know.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011