close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Apologies

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by IlliniGlocker, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IlliniGlocker

IlliniGlocker
    Expand Collapse

I'll admit it, I'm a self-professed cop basher. I never see you guys on a good day. I never see you guys helping the community. My only exposure has been negative (speeding tickets, etc.).

What further compounds my distrust of the police is my heritage. My grandparents dealt with the Nazis, and my parents dealt with the communists before immigrating to the US. Therefore, I have a pretty clear picture of authority figures.

I have to say though, you probably deal with alot of crap on a daily basis. And while I'd hate to admit it, I'm sorry and thanks for keeping my community safe.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. huron bay

huron bay
    Expand Collapse

Here's a thought, don't speed.

3. txleapd

txleapd
    Expand Collapse
    Hook 'Em Up

Thanks for comparing us to Nazis. :upeyes:

4. IlliniGlocker

IlliniGlocker
    Expand Collapse

I was going with the flow of traffic, officer....

5. IlliniGlocker

IlliniGlocker
    Expand Collapse

If you want to read it that way, fine. I was trying to show how figures of authority are generalized in my mind.

Edited to add: Let me spin this as a question... how would you view police if the police your parents grew up with would throw you in jail for speaking poorly about the government? What about if the police that your grandparents dealt with threw your grandmother into a forced labor camp?

#5 IlliniGlocker, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  6. Bodyarmorguy

Bodyarmorguy
    Expand Collapse

I had a bad experience with a computer engineer once, I guess they must all be jackwagons, huh......stereotypes suck, don't they?

In all seriousness bro, you have bad days, cops have bad days, school teachers, truck drivers and grocery clerks have bad days. Are there some idiots on this job? Sure, I will personally point them out. But again, there are idiots on every job.

Like another poster said....don't speed, flow of traffic or not. I have written a speeding ticket when the driver said "Well, other cars were speeding, why didn't you write all of them?" My response...."Ever been fishing? Did you catch them all?"

The Nazi comparison is a little over the top. On this job since 1984, I have yet to drag anyone to a concentration camp.

Lighten up.

7. txleapd

txleapd
    Expand Collapse
    Hook 'Em Up

"What further compounds my distrust of the police is my heritage. My grandparents dealt with the Nazis, and my parents dealt with the communists before immigrating to the US. Therefore, I have a pretty clear picture of authority figures."

My mistake... You compared us to Nazis and commies.... I don't know how I could have possibly taken that from your quote here.

Look, I get it. You don't like cops. I could really care less of your motivations. I realize that nothing we could possibly say or do would change that. So I won't try. There are plenty of people who hate us, so it really doesn't bother me whether one more or less person is on the bandwagon.

What I don't appreciate is dealing with people, who think like you, on a regular basis, and then having to wade through the same drivel while I'm off duty and just trying to spend sometime decompressing by bantering with guys on a messageboard.

I don't seek out people who I don't like, just to poke them with a sharp stick. I don't like it when people do that of me. If you truly don't like us, and don't wish to converse with an open mind, then please just go away.

8. Hack

Hack
    Expand Collapse
    Crazy CO
    Gold Member

But did you grow up with any of that yourself? During both eras there were people over here in the US who are now cops/or retired as a cop, who were military service people then, who were fighting the Nazis, and fighting the communists. We are not either.

Speeding? Don't speed. How does it help your community to not speed? By providing a way of avoiding fatalities on the roadways. Giving tickets remind people not to drive in an unsafe manner, which helps to keep you safe.

9. Gunshine

Gunshine
    Expand Collapse

I'm a self professed police supporter. All my experience with law enforcement have been positive. If you are polite, and cooperative so are they. Some, hopefully not many, may see cops as Nazi's. I see them as a line of defense against the evil that man is capable of.

10. Bodyarmorguy

Bodyarmorguy
    Expand Collapse

I appreciate your parents and grandparents experiences, however, they are not yours. I guess you agree with reparations for blacks born in the last fifty years because of what others did 250 years ago as well?

Here's a weird spin.......I am of German heritage, yet my last two serious girlfriends, including the current one have been Jewish. Yet based on my heritage I have no desire to kill either of them. Hmmmm....how weird is that? I have formed my own opinions and judgements.

What does bother me at the moment is that you have started this thread for the specific purpose of starting a whirlwind of crap.....and I bought into your game. By his own admission he hates cops, posted in the cop section to stir the pot. We are giving him the reaction he is looking for. I am out of this thread and am going to encourage others not to buy in and drink this guys Kool-Aid either.

#10 Bodyarmorguy, Aug 19, 2011
  11. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

First, your question implies that all LEOs are at least 1st and 2nd generation Americans. There are many LEOs who are immigrants. And I don't mean immigrants from the fair lands of Europe. I'm talking immigrants families coming to the U.S. to escape poverty, political suppression, warfare, terrorism, religious persecution, etc... Things much, much worse than the stuff going on on the streets of Illinois. :whistling:

Second, knowing history is great but how about putting history into context when you're using it to filter what you perceive today? What do I mean? Sure the Nazis and those godless communists were terrible people who did terrible things. But has the U.S. reached that point, and is comparable to Nazi Germany or the USSR? Maybe Cambodia in the 1970s and 1980? To me it has not. But perhaps to you it has?

Third, hate a class of people today simply because of horror stories (of another land) that was passed down to you from one and two generations ago? Shia hate Sunni because Sunni killed Hussein in 632. Shia cling to that history to justify everything. And visa versa, of course.

#11 Patchman, Aug 19, 2011
  12. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

Waffen SS was a military arm. Gestapo enforced internal security. Basic knowledge.

13. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse

14. volsbear

volsbear
    Expand Collapse
    IWannaBeSedated
    Lifetime Member

To the OP - With all due respect, you've got the emotional maturity of an egg plant.

My stepfather came of age at the tail end of WWII and beginning of Korea. He absolutely despises people of asian descent because he lost many relatives and close friends during those two wars. Every day while growing up I was reminded of his perception of asians and why I should hate them.

FYI - I don't hate asians.

While I was growing up, my stepfather, mother, and father were all pretty ridiculous alcoholics. Terrible, terrible parenting skills - yelling, screaming, poor conflict resolution, drinking, hitting.

FYI - I don't abuse alcohol, I don't scream at my kids, and I don't hit them.

While I was growing up, I was a very poor kid who lived on the edge of an extremely affluent school district that by and large employed solely tree-hugging, hippy liberals. Every day for 12 grades the liberal agenda was pounded into my head.

FYI - I'm a conservative.

While I was born in the deep south, I have spent most of my life in Illinois - an extremely liberal, anti-gun state that preaches gun-bans in the face of common sense that most states consider to be old news. The media, my teachers, my friends and their parents, EVERYBODY spent a lifetime telling me that guns are bad and they should all be banned.

FYI - I'm an extremely pro-2A advocate for citizen gun rights.

Point I'm making is that you can hate because people tell you to hate, or you can grow the **** up and make decisions for yourself. THINK FOR YOURSELF. If you want to hate the police, that's fine. Hate the police. But do it for your own reasons based upon some experience that you have personally had. Do you even see the irony in your initial post? You hate cops because your grandparents feared the Nazis. Got'cha. The Nazis - a political cult that convinced adults and youth to hate certain people without credible evidence as to why they should be hated. And your response to that is to hate the POLICE who work in the world's greatest social democracy based upon no credible evidence of your own. Your hypocracy is so thick we can cut it with a knife.

And I'm not a cop, though am a LEO of a different type.

Oh, and stop speeding. Some day you're going to get some cop killed in an accident because he has to race ahead to pull your immature *** over.

ETA: I'm sure all the police in here are oozing over your disingenuous gratitude.

Oh, and that was sarcasm.

#14 volsbear, Aug 19, 2011
  15. Bodyarmorguy

Bodyarmorguy
    Expand Collapse

Read please!!!

16. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse

Every once in a while I buy my dog a new chew toy. He really goes nuts with the new one. It looks like he's almost bored with the old one. Think of this thread in that light, a new chew toy...an opportunity to vent.

To everyone, just keep the comments within the lines...:wavey:

:animlol:

#16 RussP, Aug 19, 2011
  17. Gunshine

Gunshine
    Expand Collapse

This. There seems to be no purpose to this thread other than to stir up nonsense for it's own sake.

18. 40 glock

40 glock
    Expand Collapse

+1

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. heyTJ

heyTJ
    Expand Collapse
    Giddy up!

My grandfather was from Ireland, I hate drunks. :whistling:

20. PinkoCommie

PinkoCommie
    Expand Collapse
    Unusual Member

I grew up behind the Iron Curtain, and my home (granted, before I was born) was occupied by Germans and Russians many, many times. Yet I can tell the difference between the cops I saw growing up and cops in this country. I refuse to generalize across continents and decades.