close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AOL question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rhedley, Jul 8, 2004.

1. rhedley

rhedley
    Expand Collapse
    POCKET HOLSTERS

I have a grandaughter that loves the AOL instant messager. I contend that it being downloaded on the computer contributes to a lot of Pop-ups and other unwanted junk. Also there is a program named "Pacific Poker" a so-called free program, that I think I get a lot of "Data miners" from.

I am on Road Runner.

Am I right, or wrong

RJ=

2. gudel

gudel
    Expand Collapse

i have AOL IM. i don't have AOL service. it can be done.
    actually it's a great program, no pop ups or junkware.
    i much prefer using it because it's very easy, and everyone and their ancestors use it.

3. ThinkOfTheChildren

ThinkOfTheChildren
    Expand Collapse
    C.E. Moderator

If I'm not mistaken, the newer versions of AIM install WildTangent software on your computer. This can easily be removed, however.

I don't know what to say about the Poker program.

Easiest way to deal with all this is use something like Search and Destroy to get rid of offending pieces of software/miners. If poker stops working after removing the offending pieces, then get rid of it completely.

4. gudel

gudel
    Expand Collapse

winamp has wildtangent stuff as plugin. it seems that it can be removed easily.

5. fastvfr

fastvfr
    Expand Collapse
    Ancient Tech

My advice is to NEVER, EVER use an OEM Chat relay.

Trillian is exponentially better in every way, sets up everything from AOHell to ICQ and MSN/Yahoo (plus others) with no spyware or plugins whatsoever.

As far as your Poker game goes, that's the price you pay to play some so-called 'freeware' apps. They are free to you, but rest assured, they DO make money, it is just unethically and behind the scenes .

Best regards,

FastVFR