close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

AOL email hacked?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by havensal, Jun 17, 2010.

1. havensal

havensal Nozzle Jockey CLM

Aug 14, 2003
    Western, NY
    My boss's wife brought me her laptop to clean. She said that she had a virus that was sending spam to everyone in her address book.

I have run every scan I can and nothing comes up. Norton, SuperAntispyware, Malwarebytes antimalware, Panda active scan. It's Win7 X64 so combofix will not run.

She is getting a bunch of bounce back emails but there are also some in her sent mail folder.

Here are the ones I sent myself from her account...

From her Inbox
    From her Sent folder
    I took out the actual address and replaced with "EMAIL ADDRESS".

I am going to make sure she changes her password, but what else should I recommend? :dunno:

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Is this happening when she uses her AOL account w/ Outlook, or when she uses the web interface? Is it possible she has her AOL account set up via Outlook on another machine, that is actually the one infected and sending the SPAM... and the bounce backs are simply visible on the laptop.

Changing the password is definitely a good idea.. if she did set it up w/ outlook at some point on an infected machine, it will keep the machine from sending/receiving w/ that account.

IGF

3. KharToon

KharToon

Nov 2, 2007
    her password was hacked and somebody was spamming from her account. Most likely her computer never had anything to do with it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010