close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anyone's press in a garage?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by crni4, Dec 30, 2011.

1. crni4

crni4

Jan 14, 2008
    Thinking of starting to reload, so one of many questions is location. Live in north TX area with very hot summers. Garage is not insulated. Besides the fact that it would be hot for me, any danger or problems with powder, primers, rounds storage in a hot garage? Another option is laundry room, but washer/drier, detergents etc seem to be more of an issue than just heat? Am I wrong?

Thanks, and you all need to stop making reloading sound so much fun. You will cost me a lot of money ! ;)

2. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    I live in GA and my reloading bench and supplies are in the garage. I store the primers separate from the powder. Ammo cans for both. My garage is not insulated with the exception that 3 sides are in the earth. It's a drive under 3-car garage.

The only issue that I encounter is in the colder months, it can get pretty cold down there. However I've got a large heater that I keep away from the bench and it takes the bite out of the cold when I'm reloading. I reload pretty often since I need the rounds for competing and I usually shoot matches every week.

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    I also load in the garage. I live near Charlotte, NC and it gets HOT here, and very humid. Been doing it 2.5 years, no problems whatsoever, and I've surpassed 40,000 rounds easy. I do keep powders that I'm not using in the house, and most of my primers. I will bring out a brick (1000 primers) at a time, leave the rest inside. But I have an 8-pound jug of TG that I keep in the garage, that's what I'm using right now.

As jdavionic stated... my problems are more with winter. I also have an oil-type radiator heater that I can turn on that raises the temps up 10 degrees or so, makes a difference.

4. texas 48

texas 48 Gold Member

May 19, 2007
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    I live in San Antonio. Do most of my loading from Nov to March. Keep all my supplies in the Garage. I Make sure I Have small dessicant bags in my powder containers and anti tarnish emitters in sealed plastic cans where I store brass. Bullets are stored in a shaded shed that is 10 to 15 degrees complete in ammo cans with dessicant bags and the emitters in the cans . won't store in the house. Have been doing it for 5 years with no issues.

5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    I live near Charlotte as well and I could load nude in my garage in the winter. I don't even think about doing any activity in the garage after 0800 in the summer. I reload in the house. My casting is done in the garage. I make a heap of bullets in the winter and only cast at night in the summer if I really need something.

6. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Mar 14, 2010
    On the move ... again!
    Hmmm ... is it bad to keep your press in the livingroom? :whistling:

7. Only if the better half says so. But don't use a pepper shaker as a powder trickler.

8. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I live in northern California and we don't really have seasons; we have nuances.

Nevertheless, it gets blistering hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter so I only reload when the garage is comfortable.

I keep my powder and primers inside the house and just haul out enough for the work at hand.

Richard

9. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Pass the saltpeter and puhraise the Lawd!

10. Glocklvr

Glocklvr

Dec 30, 2010
    All kinds of ways to overcome that nasty weather. I used to do my handloading after dark with garage door up and back door open and a fan blowing to circulate air. Try and store powder and primers in cool dry place. Be safe and welcome to an enjoyable aspect of our passion.:wavey:

11. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina

12. I had my press in the garage for 2 years in las vegas. No problems even at 115*.

13. cyberiad

cyberiad

Feb 18, 2005
    Near RTP NC
    I live in NC too and load in my garage. I keep primers and powder in the house except for a few hundred primers in pick up tubes and whatever powder is in the measure. I put a thermometer and humidity gauge near my bench and in the summer it will get up to the low 80's F with pretty high humidity but I have not had any problem. In the summer I usually load at night.

I load or have loaded 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 38 special and 9mm and haven't noticed any issues at all.

14. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    I'd look like one of those worms that tires to make it across a tennis court. My garage gets up to about a million degrees. It's like an attic it's so hot.

15. Japle

Japle John, Viera, Fl

Feb 26, 2000
    Viera, Florida
    I live in central Florida. All my reloading stuff is in the garage. Most of my loading is done between October and June, when the temps are reasonable.

I just finished loading 9mm (2800 rounds) and am now working my way through my .45ACP brass. I finished my .223s in November.

The heat won't bother your powder and primers at all. The lube in cast bullets might get sorta soft, though!!

16. ken grant

ken grant

Apr 3, 2004
    middle ga.
    In my garage I built a small room in one corner,insulated it,installed a small a/c until through the wall and a small electric oil filled heater.

When wanting to load in the summer,I just go out,turn on the A/C and start loading.
    In the winter when it is real cold,I go out and turn on the heater, wait awhile and then go out and start loading.

The room cools off much faster than it warms up.

17. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    That's not a bad way to go for a guy who can frame out a couple of walls. I'd need a contractor of course.

18. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

Jul 27, 2011
    South Kakalaki
    Thanks for asking that question. I live down in SC and was wondering the same thing. Was probably gonna ask this in the next week to see what you all thought about it.

19. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    I know two people who do. I keep mine in my reloading room.

20. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    you can start a new thread next week. Most of us will have forgotten this whole exchange by then.