close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

anyone worried about epa lead ammo ruling?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by garander, Aug 20, 2010.

1. garander

garander

Nov 29, 2001
    their was a short lived thread on this in general non glocking. but the enviromental protection agency has ninety days to rule on a petition filed by some anti hunting groups who want a nationwide ban on all lead ammo and fishing tackle. boy i sure hope this doesn't happen. i cant find any info at all if this has a chance of becoming law, or if the congress or courts must be involved? i'm worried

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...-lead-ammunition-fishing-tackle-99870914.html

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  2. DougC

DougC

Oct 24, 2008
    York, PA
    We should be very concerned. Remember, these are the same folks that decided that the carbon dioxide we exhale is a dangerous pollutant.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

3. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Should be a big worry. If all they were after is hunting bullets, they would ban lead bullets for hunting purposes. No, they want to take all lead bullets out, pushing the cost of ammo sky high, so that people cant afford it. Its almost like the Chris Rock routine of sell all the guns you want, but make the bullets cost 5K apiece.

4. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
  5. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Forget the wife's birthday, forget your anniversary, forget the kid's birthdays, forget to feed the dog... don't forget November 2nd.

Jack

6. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    It is an end around to gun bans. It's finally taken them all theses years to figure out they can ban or regulate ammo & then your guns are almost worthless. It would not apply to private land use but hunting on Federal land would change. It's already been done here in Kommiefornia, you must use non lead bullets for hunting on public lnad & many private land leases have also followed the directive.
    How to push back? If you are a Democrat, change parties, all they offer you is abortion protection & union support. Keep in mind that NOTHING liberal Dems have ever come up with has ultimately been good for the people of the USA.:steamed: Start by voting good Reb. into office in Nov.

7. DougC

DougC

Oct 24, 2008
    York, PA
    Dead on! Get out there and vote!

8. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Jul 28, 2008
    Up a tree.
    I'm not worried at all because lead sinkers were banned for fishing in many places long before most of the guys on Glock Talk were even born. Then they banned lead buck shot for duck hunting in certain waters when most of you were still crapping in diapers too, so I'll tell you what you're not old enough to remember.

When it happened, there was of course a big paranoid outcry about how "they" were trying to stop "us" from fishing & hunting, and it was all a part of an effort to totally ban it forever. This was over 30 years ago, but it never happened. All "they" accomplished was stopping a little lead pollution, and of the hunters & fishermen I know, none have had their fun negatively affected at all, nor did their hobby become a lot more expensive because of it, nor did any one I ever heard of actually "quit" hunting or fishing because of a small increase in cost, when EVERYTHING else associated with it was going up in cost anyway. Most guys I knew figured that if getting rid of the lead would help the populations of fish & ducks to thrive better, then it was in the self interest of hunters to protect the animals from the lead, and the small cost was worth it, and it has been.

After reading up on the performance of the new lead free projectiles available, (they really are a better hunting bullet with better expansion & weight retention BY FAR) I would have planned to switch over to lead free hunting ammo anyway. With the overall expense of hunting what it already is, the next time gas prices jump just a little, it will affect your hunting trip expenses more than a few copper bullets did.

You'll still be able to shoot lead for almost all of your non hunting purposes on shooting ranges. Only on a small number of them will anyone find any reason to limit lead pollution on a designated range.

This is just another one of the knee jerk political reactions that are typical of Glock Talk. Now while some of you bite your fingernails off out of fear that our country will totally ban hunting or fishing during you or your great grandchildren's lifetimes, I'm going to get back to planning my trip to go kill an elk with a copper bullet BECAUSE THEY WORK BETTER, and keep lead out of the meat I eat.

Before this thread ends, somebody is going to deny the scientific evidence that the Earth is round, and then demand to see Obama's birth certificate.

9. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Wow, you actually buy into the crap of lead contamination in meat from hunting bullets.
    You are truely hiding your head in the sand thinking that this is about the enviroment. So little lead is left anywhere after big game hunting. It's not like waterfowl, where dozens of shots are taken by 1000s of hunters in a small area.
    It's only about gun control, believing anything else is idealistic BS. It isn't even so much about cost, but inconvenience. The harder they make it to hunt & shoot, the fewer people will get involved. It's gun control/ban by attrition. Just look at Kommifornia's gun laws. That is what the liberal Dems bring to the table. I live it, I know.

10. hoffy

hoffy

Jun 12, 2007
    Ohio
    We should indeed be scared, the anti gunners will stop at nothing, and they have not been doing so well lately, and honestly I am surprised it took this long, but it is not the first attempt,IIRC. If it fails it certainly will not be the last. As things become more "green" expect the antis to use this strategy more and more, and don't be surprised if it is something tacked on a bill at the last minute, especially something that would benefit gunners. For the youngsters around there was the firearms owners protection act, 1986, yup, under Regan, allowed all sorts of things forbidden by the 1968 law, like buying ammo and components through the mail, importation of surplus military arms, the youngsters do not know what it was like. As nice as that law was, during an act of last minute poltroonery and subterfuge further machine gun production for civilians was banned. This meant only the rich will be able to afford machine guns, especially as time goes by.

It will be much easier to convince the public to ban lead than to ban guns, they hopefully would never go for that, but ban lead, didn't they take that out of gasoline and paint? Gosh, without lead, babies will be safe the world over...... So, outfits like Barnes and others(notice how many lead free bullets are now being made by companies that never used to..) would get rich, and shooting would become a rich mans game. With lead banned, they would go after hand loaders, who are sick enough to have to make their own ammunition(I heard Feinstein or Metzembaum or Kerry, Kennedy- one of those creeps actually said this) and would easily circumvent the law-banned. In some countries reloading by an individual used to carry the death penalty, but this was a while ago, now I don't know(think it might have been during the '70s when Rhodesia was falling apart, the Continent was/is in turmoil).

I hope it does not happen, but it could be an administrative thing that gets us, then Congress will have to overcome it's considerable inertia to do something, how likely is that to come about quickly. Sigh...

11. Amen to that. Sad really that GTR is getting more like the rest of GT than the other way around.

You're right Bro. and fortunately there is a rational though silent majority.
    Hang in there. We craped out the big turds, now were going to wipe off the rest of the clingers this election.:tongueout:

12. Jumper

Jumper

Jun 10, 2002
    MI USA
    It appears you hunt a lot but shoot very little. I guess a lead bullet ban would affect you very little. I am just the opposite; I shoot A LOT but only hunt occasionally. A lead bullet ban would inconvenience me greatly.

13. garander

garander

Nov 29, 2001
    yea the lead free 30 cal boolets are 2 1/2 times the price of regular matchkings. then they will ban the lead free slugs on the grounds they are armor piercing

14. D. Manley

D. Manley

May 30, 2005
    Southern US
    ....I actually would kind of like to see that birth certificate, seems almost no one else has. :supergrin:

15. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Yeah, I used to think all the birthers were nut jobs. After seeing what PBO is doing to the country though, makes ya wonder? PBO asks; "do you want to go back to the Bush years"? Let's see, only a $400B deficite & less than 6% unemployment, yeah, beam me back Scotty!:tongueout: His majesty will make Carter look inviting in 2012.

16. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    He don't show his papers in AZ, he goes back to Mexico with the rest.

17. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

The problem, my most liberal friend, is that they wont stop at "hunting" ammunition.

Looks like GTR is going the way of GNG. Sad, because this is about the only decent forum left on here.

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Eh... Even here on GTR, you gotta weed through nonsense.. this is simply one of them. This is probably the best place here on GT.

19. garander

garander

Nov 29, 2001
    in 2004 a bill passed both houses of illinois congress that would bar homeowners from prosecution on gun charges if they used a gun in defense of their home. it was vetoed by rod blagojavich. they actually had the votes to overide his veto! one man who dissented both times? you guessed it, barry o he also voted to ban all handguns

20. steve4102

steve4102

Jan 2, 2009

Bravo! Fred for President in 2012!