close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone work at a bank? Need help!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sheriff733, Sep 20, 2012.

1. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

Ok, so I am kind of panicking here...

Stopped by the local Suntrust about 30 minutes ago and deposited a $80 check and $595 cash, all from my mowing business. I deposited the check and everything went great. I deposited the $595 (5 $100 4 $20 1 $10 1 $5) into the ATM. As I wait "while we count your cash," it says that some of the bills could not be read, and to reinsert them to try again. The little cash door to the ATM opens, and out comes a $5. It closes. Opens again, here comes a $10. It closes. Opens once again, out comes a $20. It closes. Then, the screen freezes, and the ATM is locked up tight.

I waited a minute hoping for the best, but no luck.

Starting to panic, I look around the ATM for a number to call. I found 1-800-Suntrust. I call them and long story short they're going to put the disputed amount ($560) in my account pending investigation. I asked what "investigation" entailed, and the rep told me that they would check the ATM in the morning, review all the security cameras, etc and I should follow up with the branch in the morning.

I'm stressed out about this because I'm afraid someone is going to come along and be able to retrieve the money in question (by some odd chance I hope) and ill be ass out.

Anybody have any experience with this? Obviously the security cameras probably aren't going to show anything so if that money comes up missing, I'm screwed.

What do you think GT?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. cranejc

cranejc

My wife works for a large regional bank and said it should all work out in your favor. Apparently their cameras and auditing procedures are top notch, and while in the business of making money, they also strive to keep customers happy - her bank, at least.

3. sheriff733

Well that makes me feel a little better. Thanks for the help!

4. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Why not use the night deposit drop box for your deposits? No way in hell would I try and put cash INTO an ATM. Just too much that can go wrong, as you have now discovered. Hope it works out for you.

Greg

5. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

Never put cash into a machine. Deal with humans.

6. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

This. As a matter of fact, my bank's ATM deposit envelopes even says not to deposit currency. (Although my ex used to all the time and never had a problem. :dunno:)

7. kalashluvr

kalashluvr

I made a withdrawal one time (not at my regular bank) that would have been my max limit for 24 hour period, it rejected my request because it was charging a $2.95 fee for non members (that's what put me over the max). I then made it for half the amount which would have been fine, but the ATM still thought I had just made a $302.95 withdrawal. So now it wouldn't give me THAT withdrawal. Get home and check balance...withdrawal then reversal, then withdrawal ($152.95).....but it never gave me the cash. That bank did their audit, nothing came up short and everything balanced according to them. Ultimately, my bank made up the $152.95. I told the bank with defunct ATM to check the security cameras for the look on my face !!

I always try to withdraw from MY bank when possible just because like the post above, your bank is more likely to keep you happy.

8. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

This. I never deal with ATM's unless it's a withdrawal.

9. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Neighbor told me he put a large amount of money into the night deposit tray by envelope and when he called later about the deposit, the bank told him they didn't get it. He was further told that until they acknowledged they received it, they were not accountable for it.

It showed up a few days later without explanation, and was credited to his account.

The thing I take from this is, that the Bank is not going to accept responsibility for your money until a bank employee receives and records it.

Only deal with a human.

10. sheriff733

I don't honestly even know if this particular branch has a drop box, besides the ATM.

I've been using ATMs to deposit for quite a while. But, this is probably the last time.

:wavey:

11. Adjuster

Adjuster

I deposit cash into the Wachovia new envelope free machines all the time. No problem so far.

/

12. Gallium

Gallium CLM

:tongueout:

It must be cool living back in the late nineteen hundreds. :supergrin:

Here is what you do...get an Instamatic camera, and take a picture of the bills face (ser# ) up before you deposit them. :whistling:

Next week I'll introduce you to this weird, crazy but hip device called a mobile phone.

13. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

To save face, I don't use the ATM at all (either deposit or withdrawl.) My info comes from when my ex used them all the time. :wavey::whistling:

14. Gallium

Gallium CLM

:supergrin:

Roger that!

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I can't get past the whole "depositing cash" thing.......

16. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

You could get a safe and just keep the money at home until daytime, then make the deposit with a teller. Bolt the safe down. No common burgler would get it. A good solid small safe is only two or three hundred bucks.

Night drops at banks aren't that safe in general. I always tried to avoid them when I ran a business that took in lots of cash late night. Some criminals stalk ATMs because they know people will have cash and debit cards. They can rob you and force you to drain your account. Happens more often than you think.

17. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

That doesn't prove it was YOUR account the money was supposed to go into.

18. sheriff733

Why? It's actually very convenient (except when this happens)

19. Zonny

Zonny

I would never deposit cash either thru an ATM or a drop box. Never. It's your word against theirs.

20. racer11

racer11

I never put cash in a dam bank,,,,I keep it in my pocket where it belongs. Getting paid in cash helps