close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone with Unresolved 9mm Gen4/Gen3 Malfunctions?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JBarbaresi, Jun 28, 2011.

1. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

I am trying to get to the bottom of these 9mm Gen4 and late model Gen3 malfunction issues. It seems most people with "problematic" guns are experiencing erratic ejections and brass to the face. That seems to be the result of bad extractors and is fixed by switching to a LWD extractor or properly engineered Glock extractor. For this thread I am more interested in people who are experiencing actual malfunctions and stoppages of their weapons, like failures to feed and stovepipes.

Today as I was reading through a thread, it reminded me of when I went to purchase a Gen3 G19 in the spring of 2010, and as I waited for my background check to clear I disassembled it to inspect the inside. When I tried to reassemble the slide, it would not go back on. The striker was forward, there was no contact with the trigger bar or ejector, it just would not fit back on. The gun dealer, also a certified Glock armorer, was also unable to get it back on and couldn't figure out the issue. Needless to say, I cancelled the transaction and didn't buy the gun. I remember going home that day and reading several other threads on GT of people having similar experiences, and the blame was laid on the slide lock being out of spec, slightly too tall I think. This got me thinking that maybe the slide lock on these newer models is also out of spec in a way that does not allow for a solid/correct lock up of the 9mm barrels. It may be a long shot, but to my knowledge not something anyone has considered up to this point.

I do not have a malfunctioning gun to compare the slide lock against, but if someone who does have a gun experiencing actual malfunctions can remove the slide lock and spring, and look for any obvious defects, abnormalities, asymmetrical design, etc... and report back it would be greatly appreciated. If you have a functioning older model Glock to compare the parts against that would be even better. Of course, pictures of anything you find would also be exremely helpful.

for instruction on how to remove the slide lock, watch the below video and skip forward to about 1:15. its one of the easiest parts to remove.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6zdLXJNaXI

2. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

3. GunHo198

GunHo198

I bought a G30 Gen 3 a few months ago. It shot fine. But when I took it to a Glock armmorer to have an extended slide lock installed he had problems with the spring and replaced it. He asked if I was having any issues. I told him other than the gun being tight as heck? No. It still shoots fine.

2 Weeks later I bought a G27 Gen 3. I was having the extraction issues and replaced it with the LWD extractor. That did fix my problem.

My brother then bought a G23 Gen 4. He hasn't had any issues at all so far. I think there are issues with the late model Gen 3's and early Gen 4's. But it's not effecting every gun. I'm just happy with the frame on the Gen 3's, so I don't plan on getting a Gen 4 if I dnot have too.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  4. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

yes the number of people suffering from actual malfunctions are few and far between, a very small percentage of the overall problems being reported. with the amount of gen4 problem threads you would think everyone has issues. that is why i want the people having actual failures to weigh in here. really i just want to solve the problem so we can all get on with our lives. "unfortunately" i don't have a trouble gun to play around with personally.

a failure to feed issue is almost always a result of faulty magazines, but in some cases i've read people having ftf and the magazines work fine in other guns. the only other real possible reason for feeding issues is something related to the barrel. the chance of the barrels being out of spec is not very likely. the slide lock on the other hand, that engages and locks the barrel prior to firing, could easily be out of spec just like the extractors. i got the idea after reading through the MGSL threads and seeing how much the OEM slide lock can be improved upon.

5. TH3180

TH3180

My Gen4 G17 would put brass in my face about 50% of the time. I took a polishing wheel and some compound to the extractor. I hit the two sides that contact the slide. Today I shot 350 rounds. I had one case hit me in the face. I know some blame the issue on weak ammo. I don't buy it. I am shooting hand loads on the hot side and still had the problem.

6. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

its not the ammo, in probably 99% of cases its not grip/stance either. hotter ammo has been a cover for the underlying issue in my opinion. try another extractor, the LWD seems to have fixed almost everyone's issues who were having the same problem as you.

on a side note, for as vocal as all the gen4 haters have been in other threads i'm surprised no one is willing to step up and check their slide locks and report back "in the name of solving the issue". this thread is eerily quiet given the prime opportunity to continue bashing glocks.

7. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

Why are you encouraging "bashing glocks". I had genuine respect for this thread thinking you were just trying to help people out. Unfortunately this is just a childish game on your part. Thankfully I have already been helped by bentbiker who happens to be a mature and helpful individual. Good luck.

8. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

how am i encouraging bashing glocks? read any of my other posts and figure it out for yourself. my point in making that statement is that everyone is so quick to jump into threads when they find the opportunity to bash glocks. yet this thread has an actual idea and possible solution, and not a single one of these people who are so public about their issues with the gen4's chimes in or offers to help? that doesn't seem a little weird to you? and don't tell me they haven't read the thread yet...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  9. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

Seems relatively self explanatory. Good luck.

10. G17gen3

G17gen3

I have a late production G26 gen 3 (purchased early this year and produced in Dec '10). I haven't had problem one that wasn't due to ammo. I made the mistake of purchasing some reloads from my range and that crap was waayyy out spec...in mulitple calibers. Needless to say I don't buy that crap anymore and as long as I'm using decent factory ammo there isn't any issues w/ my gun. I guess I just got lucky and got one that works decent.

11. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

i think you misinterpret sarcasm. thanks for the contribution though. if you run into someone with a malfunctioning 9mm glock please ask them to take a look at the slide lock and let us know.

12. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

what kind of issues were you having with the "crap" ammo?

you aren't lucky, most people are still getting glocks that work decent. i'm just trying to figure out why those who aren't so lucky can't seem to get theirs working.

13. TH3180

TH3180

Before I polished the extractor I tried a bunch of different loads and still got hit in the face a lot. So I decided it wasn't an ammo issue. Today I got hit once out of 350 rounds. As far as I'm concerned the problem is fixed. That one case could have been dinged up. The ammo I was shooting today, the cases were on there 6th reload.

14. jehowe

jehowe

I'll be happy to post the findings of a brand new Gen4 G19 (5/12/11 test fired, 0-4-1 spring) that I brought home today. If I can clear one issue, I should be able to get to the range tomorrow.

From initial handling and observation, it's a tight gun. The slide does come off (and back on) easily but the slide & mag release are stiff yet for my liking. I'll post my results (hopefully tomorrow), for better or worse.

15. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

out of curiousity, which recoil spring are you using? if you are satisfied with the performance, no one should be able to tell you otherwise. keep shooting and enjoy it.

16. TH3180

TH3180

I will look tomorrow. I'm not sure what spring it is. I got the gun last month and the fire date on it was only like a week before I got the gun, so middle of May. I want to say the spring has a 2 and 0 on it but I am not positive.
    I took a caliper to a Gen3 extractor that had 1000 rounds through it, Gen3 extractor that had never been in a gun and a the extractor out of my Gen4. They were all within 0.002" of each other. Which to me is nothing. My 8 year old son noticed the Gen4 extractor had a rougher finish then the Gen3 extractors. That's why I took the polishing wheel to it.

17. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

i remember reading your post about your son noticing the finish within 5 minutes of looking at it. kind of funny how we sometimes miss the obvious and it takes a kid to point it out. believe it or not that was also the first time i heard anyone make that observation about the difference in the finish texture. it kind of makes sense since the slide finish on the newer guns is also a rougher texture, which means more friction, which means that with weaker loads the extractor could have a harder time moving and pivoting as it's supposed to until a few hundred rounds have been fired. that may be one of the reasons the higher powered calibers have not had as many reported issues as the 9mm guns.

you probably have the 0-2 or 0-2-1 spring if you just recently purchased it. thanks for the info all around.

18. Wickersham

Wickersham

My Gen 4 G17 was a POS. Recoil spring and extractor did not fix, can't comment on slide lock though because it is long gone now.

But just going by this thread alone, if I have this right, current Glock problems (both Gen 4 and Gen 3) in general COULD be any of the following:

Recoil spring
    extractor
    slide lock

btw, what is the difference between the 0-2 and 0-2-1 spring, more cut coils?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  19. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

I had a Glock 17 3rd generation once. It shot great, my only complaint was the ejector would kick the hot brass directly between my eyes. That has been my only "bad" Glock experience.

20. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

I have yet to find anybody who had problems, much less unresolved ones.