close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone using Plex Media Server?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IndyGunFreak, Jul 27, 2014.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

I was never really high on this server app... then the other day I installed it just to give it a try. Easy to setup, automatically fetches metadata on movies/tv shows (although it can be imperfect at times), handles transcoding well..

I really like it... if you're looking for a program to organize and stream your media, this is it.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. wizzi01

wizzi01
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I use it. I even got the plex app from amazon for free. Well I somehow had points that I used to get the app.

3. Chesafreak

Chesafreak
    Expand Collapse

I tried to check it out but five minutes later and the web site is still loading. I run XBMC (Rasbmc) on a Raspberry Pi connected to my tv and it does the same thing including scraping movie metadata, ratings, info, and trailers from imdb.com. I have it hooked up to a 2TB USB drive and use apps on my phone and tablet as remote controls.

Edit: the site finally finished loading. I like that you can stop watching on one device and pick up where you left off on another, as well as watching while offline.

#3 Chesafreak, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Yeah, that initial load, if you've got a heavy collection, can take a while.

I didn't realize how much I had accumulated over the years (80 full length movies, about 13 complete series of TV shows, about 50 south park episodes, and then just a few random tv shows here and there. Took a few minutes for me as well... as it was downloading metadata, etc.. for all that stuff.

5. John Rambo

John Rambo
    Expand Collapse
    Raven

I run it. Its one of the best out.

Make sure the server has a lot of power, fast drives, and plenty of RAM, and those loading screens will be fairly quick.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Well my server isn't super powerful (2.7ghz Celeron), has WD Greens, and 8gigs of ram.... and it still wasn't that bad.... Considering the amount of data it had to fetch, it didn't really surprise me it took 3-5min for the initial startup.

After that was dealt with, it runs great now.

7. John Rambo

John Rambo
    Expand Collapse
    Raven

Depends on the size of the rip and whether you do server-side or client-side transcoding. That thing would fall flat on its face if you tried to server transcode a large (15+Gig) 1080p rip on it. But if you watch smaller rips you're fine.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Yeah, almost definitely.

I'm not a huge fan of the humongous rips... Most of mine are 1.5-3gigs, w/ a few hitting 4gigs. They all look great on my TV though, and that's all that matters to me.

9. John Rambo

John Rambo
    Expand Collapse
    Raven

Then rock it like you hacked it! Two pieces of advice:

1) If you notice that your movies are being incorrectly labelled, it may be time to change which database you pull your information from on your Plex server. Theres a list and some are better than others.

2) Keep it updated. I have no earthly idea why, but if you fall behind in versions Plex starts to slowly melt down. Stable one day, have to reboot the whole server the next. Makes no sense, but thats what I've found.

#9 John Rambo, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  10. haunter

haunter
    Expand Collapse

yeah my htpc install nuked itself randomly, I need to reload it

Ive only used it a few times but its been nice so far, watching stuff on my tablet while my wife hordes the TV

#10 haunter, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  11. sbhaven

sbhaven
    Expand Collapse

Been running Plex for close to two years now. Running it under Vista OS on a Old Dell OptiPlex PC (4gb ram and a Core 2 Duo 6700). Plex itself runs just fine, Vista on the other hand... :rofl:

Have several of the "unsupported" channels (SS Plex and a few others) installed to download/stream the latest shows.

Like was said above, Plex sometimes incorrectly matches the show information or sometimes doesn't even find it requiring me to manually search for it or manually enter it myself. Doesn't happen often, but enough that it is somewhat annoying.

Probably have close to 80 to 100 movies ripped from DVD and other sources to it along with a dozen or so TV shows. Most content is ripped to MP4 or MKV so it doesn't really have to muscle through transcoding when streaming to my Roku's.

Setting up the Plex software can be a bit of a pain (especially the unsupported channel apps portion) depending on your PC/OS but for the most its pretty straight forward. If one does add their own content they do need to follow the Plex naming conventions else the Plex application won't see and add the content to its media library.

At some point I'll get around to setting up my HDHR OTA tuners to dump content (via the BeyondTV or other HDHR compatible software) into the Plex server for later playback on my Roku's.

#11 sbhaven, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

1. Yeah.. I actually did that not to long ago. I was set to using the 'TVDB' database.. which must be default because I never recalled setting it. This morning, I was trying to add my Breaking Bad rips, and none of them were fetching the metadata. So I went and changed it to the "IMDB" database... and it fetched everything immediately.

2. Thanks... I checked it this morning and it says it's up to date.

13. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE]
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

I've been using it for at least a couple of years so far. I run it on an old Windows XP box with a couple of Adaptec 3805 Raid cards and 10 2TB hard drives. I also run Sabnzbd and Sickbeard for my TV shows on the same box. I love Plex, it just sits and watches your folders and automatically adds news shows/movies to the list when it finds them.

In my living room I have a Zotac Zobox small PC running Win7 with the plex software. My other TVs in the house are LG smart sets and they come with the Plex client built in, gotta love that!

14. MacDonald

MacDonald
    Expand Collapse

I tried to use it for about a year. I found it too unreliable, and product support was nonexistent. I have some iTunes and an Apple TV, and 700+ movies in non-iTUnes format. I eventually bought a "Smart TV" which works for the digitized movies that are not iTunes, so my Plex Media server went the way of the Dodo.

15. sbhaven

sbhaven
    Expand Collapse

Their product support is basically their user supported support forum. Plex media server can be tricky (or a pain in the ass if your not a computer literate) to setup depending on what you are looking to get out of your Plex media server. Once I got mine configured and running properly its worked fine with very few (if any issues) with my Roku.

16. Drjones

Drjones
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, IGF, I think you remember the dedicated media server I built myself along with some of your help & advice. :)

It's running Plex and I really, really like it. It works great. Awesome piece of software.

I found the support to be very good - the forums have a ton of stored knowledge, people are pretty friendly & responsive and there's a pretty large body of knowledge about Plex on the internetz in general.

I love it!!