close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anyone used the carbon steel CMC powermags?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by RetailNinja, Oct 10, 2012.

1. RetailNinja

RetailNinja

Jan 31, 2007
    Tuktoyaktuk
    Like the title says. Has anyone used the carbon steel CMC powermags yet? I was thinking about grabbing a few as I usually buy a couple new powermags every year. Thoughts?

2. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET
    I was wrong, they are black oxide carbon steel.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    What He said,.........great mags!
    I prefer McCormick & Tripp mags

4. RetailNinja

RetailNinja

Jan 31, 2007
    Tuktoyaktuk
    For real? Several websites have them listed as black carbon steel.

5. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX

They are carbon and they'll rust. I love 'em. Just treat 'em like any other blued magazine and you'll be fine.

6. They're supposed to be the best so that's what I carry at work (after being backordered for a few months). I really haven't noticed any difference between them and the stainless steel Power Mags though.

7. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET
    I was wrong...they are black oxide carbon steel according to Hilton. My appologies.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  8. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

Jun 14, 2005
    Ohio for now
    I have several. I remember Larry Vickers saying a carbon steel magazine was better than stainless with all other things being equal.

9. MAC702

MAC702 Senior Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Clark County, NV
    I have a 15-year old CMC black magazine in my equally-old Springfield Armory Mil-Spec.

For where I keep that particular firearm, that is the magazine that stays with it, and it doesn't enter the rotation that feeds the other 1911s, which just happen to be Wilsons.

I like them both.

The only magazines that have ever given me problems are CMC 10-round extended mags (stainless). Two of mine have warped feedlips and no longer fit the firearms.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    We can discuss the merits of stainless steel versus carbon steel all day long, but I doubt that it matters in a construct that is as simple as a magazine.

11. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    I bought six when they first came out. I have only tried a few of them in a single gun, but was not pleased. To be fair to the mags though, the gun is a known trouble maker.

12. RetailNinja

RetailNinja

Jan 31, 2007
    Tuktoyaktuk
    I ordered a couple to try out. Only one CMC I've ever owned (plain jane shooting star) had the feed lip spread, and it was after 2 years of ccw and range play. I've been impressed with the stainless' performance. I pulled the trigger on 4.

13. RetailNinja

RetailNinja

Jan 31, 2007
    Tuktoyaktuk
    Kudos to CMC!! The Mags came in today, covered in oil, but perfect fit and finish as expected. I'll be function testing them in my Baer tomorrow. I also noticed that their Concealed floor plates fit on the 10rd powermags without modification!

I also asked them to draw a palm tree on the package and they did! Sweet!! The artist even asked me to color it in and return it!