close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anyone use Thermold mags?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Sniperfox, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Sniperfox

Sniperfox Kopfjaeger

Mar 20, 2006
    Wilmington NC
    I see them on sale alot of places these days. Are they good reliable mags? Years ago, when the original company in NC was making them, they were good mags but I haven't tried them recently.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Years ago; as in the early 1990s, they were known as "Thermelts". I don't know if quality had improved since then. For M16 mags, I have plenty of the MagPuls. For FN and HK91, I have plenty of factory steel & aluminum, so I'm not ready to try out the Thermelts again.

3. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
    I used a few of them for range fun. The plastic feed lips tend to wear out easily with little use. I would not use them for "serious" work, not that I have ever been in any "serious" situations.:supergrin:
    With other better brand mags plentiful and cheap these days, get those, I would.

4. Decguns

Decguns

Dec 29, 2003
    NC
    Thermold mags are still made in NC. Their mags work fine. Like all plastic mags, they're really not GI proof. I haven't met a plastic mag yet that has passed a mil-spec drop test. Fully loaded, you drop the mag from about 12 feet onto 2 inches of wood (like a 2X6). Even the beloved PMAGs will spill ammo, split and/or fail to feed after the drop test. Sorry Magpul, your 5 foot drop test is a bit short of a mil-spec drop test. The Lancer mags were the only ones that came close to passing the mil-spec drop test. About the only thing mil-spec in plastic mags is the spring.

For most folks, the plastic mags are fine. If you want mil-spec, you can always pick up some D&H, Brownells, Colt (NHMTG Hartford) aluminum mags.

5. Tony Rumore

Tony Rumore

Nov 2, 2000
    OK, USA
    I have heard the "thermelt" stories and other internet lore, but I'll tell you, I have the same five Thermold mags that I bought back in 1996 and have run over 65,000 rounds through those same five mags in an M16 and they are still running strong.

Tony Rumore
    Tromix

6. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Dec 31, 1998
    Indianapolis, IN
    The "Thermelts" were the CANADIAN Thermolds; the Canadians thought they could use a cheaper polymer, and that decision burned them badly. Any Thermold with the mapleleaf logo molded on it is one of "those".

The American-produced Thermolds do not share the Canadian defects. I think American Thermolds and Israeli Orlites are the best of the pre-ban AR plastic mags.

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Wasted money on those years ago........many better options these days!

8. Tony Rumore

Tony Rumore

Nov 2, 2000
    OK, USA
    The ones that I ran 65K through, don't have the maple leaf on them. With absolute, 100% perfect reliability for that many rounds, that many years.....I don't agree that there are better options today.

Tony

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  9. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Ok,......so you have an opinion. Want a cookie? :dunno:
    27 years of shooting the M16 & AR15, I know what works & what is a waste of money.

10. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Dec 31, 1998
    Indianapolis, IN
    If they're Famous Amo's Pecan Chocolate Chip, I'll take the whole box!

11. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Next time I get to Indy, they are your's! :rofl:

12. Tony Rumore

Tony Rumore

Nov 2, 2000
    OK, USA
    That makes two of us.

13. 427

Nov 23, 2009
    KUMSC
    I have a few '90s vintage AR and M14 mags. In my experience, I had a few problems with FTF on three of the 10 AR mags but all of the M14 mags have been flawless.

What do my results mean? Probably nothing.

14. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Ban Democrats!!

I have two of the 48-round AK mags but have not tried them yet.

TGG

15. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    Bought some 10 round Thermolds from CDNN a couple weeks ago on sale for target work.

Hows about Orlites? Picked up up some surplus Israeli Orlite mags recently from a friend real cheap. Haven't shot them yet. Am I gonna be :supergrin: or gonna be :crying:?

16. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    I bought one of those last year, and used it in multiple weapons with multiple ammo types for the last 8 months or so, with no problems whatsoever. I love the fact that it fits nearly flush with the bottom edge of the mag well; at a distance, it looks like the weapon has no mag in it at all.

Great for bench/sandbag shooting, walking-up varmints for fast short-range moving target practice, or general walkabout use. I just bought another handful in my last order, some for myself, some for gifts.

Note: deburr the dang things before loading or other use! You could use the overmold flash on the feed lips for shaving or last-ditch self-defense; those edges are DANG sharp.

17. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

Aug 22, 2009
    The Canadians used them and the Israeli's. They worked fine on semi-auto. Full-auto they would melt. I have a few and they have worked fine for range sessions. Better options out there now. But for most civilian uses they would probably be fine. Never had a jam from one.

18. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    :agree:

I have several of these same mags. All still work great.

:cool:

19. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    Here's my other question....Why are the 20 round Thermold AR mags at CDNN $3.99 and the 10 rounders $6.99? :whistling: seems like it should be the other way around.

Anyway, I like the 10s because they sit flush. I bought them to use them at Appleseed for loaners (I'm an instructor) since 30 round mags interfere with proper prone position.

20. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

Aug 20, 2011
    On The Edge
    My BIL uses some. They wont work with his 300Blk but will work in his .223.