Anyone Use National Magazine 40-Rounders in Their Mini-14?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by The_Gun_Guru, Jun 10, 2013.

1. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Ban Democrats!!

Just got two of these mags for my Mini-14 and was wondering if anyone here has tried them. I got them from The Sportsman's Guide for about $22 each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

TGG

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. There is a Mini 14 website called perfectunion.com that has info about different brands of mags for the Mini 14.

#2 DFin, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  3. The_Gun_Guru

I posted over there a couple days ago, thanks:thumbsup:

They said that they are pretty much useless. I will try them out soon and report back.

TGG

4. JohnLloydScharf

JohnLloydScharf Unregistered

Okay. How did they do? Did you ever find one that works?

5. Cole125

Silver Member

The only good magazines for Mini 14s are Ruger factory 20 and 30 rounders, period.

6. That has been my experience as well.

7. No knowledge about the mags but wanted to comment about the stock on the gun. Looks like a factory stock but has a lot of nice figuring on it which most don't, very good looking. Don

8. The_Gun_Guru

sadly, I have not taken it to the range yet because I have been testing out my mini draco ak pistol, which is awesome!

thanks Don, I do like the stock, but it could use a nice cleaning up. I just haven't had a lot of time to put into the mini 14 right now :-(

TGG

9. I never use more than 20 round mags in my mini14 and there the Ruger factory mags. I find anything larger gets in the way more than it does any good.

10. The_Gun_Guru

what about the factory 30 round mags? Have you had a chance to try them? if so, did they function reliably for you?

Thanks,

TGG

11. No I never even tried them. Once I put the 20 round mag in the rifle I knew that was as large as I ever wanted to go. If I was using it for general purpose stuff or hunting I'd be quite happy just using the 5 round mag that came with it. Might not look as Bad A&& but I love the balance of it.
    I mean really could you just imagine how cumbersome that 40 round mag would be and in the way if you were laying on your stomach trying to make every round count. IMO those larger capacity mags are more for prayin and sprayin then anything. They certainly do nothing to improve accuracy. At least in my opinion they don't.

#11 Bob Hafler, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  12. The_Gun_Guru

40-round mags are par for the course for me because I have seven AKs....nine if you include the Saiga-12 and the PSL-54C. The 12-round SGM mag for the Saiga-12 is about 3 to 3.5 inches longer than a 40-round AK mag, so I really don't mind the length of the National mag.

[​IMG]

Also, I've never shot from the prone position because I don't hunt and was never in the military.

TGG

13. Ive never had any mags but Ruger mags function in a mini14, and Im not alone in this experience. Throw them away, it will save much frustration, and research before you buy.

14. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Load them up and try them out. Then load up a Ruger factory 20 round mag and use them for targets.

15. I only buy 20 round mags for my Mini-14.

I have slowly been replacing all of my off-brand mags with Ruger mags, now that Ruger actually sells magazines that hold more than 5 rounds. . .

Nothing against Bill Ruger. . . But once he died, the company was finally free to move into market segments that he previously blocked the company from doing. (Tactical Mini, larger mags, CCW orientated handguns)

16. JohnLloydScharf

JohnLloydScharf Unregistered

I think they are better than a stripper clip for holding ammo and at 62 I do not want to be rushed for a reload. I cannot imagine never having shot prone and I am not a hunter, but I was in the USN. I think they trained us to shoot prone because you present a smaller target and they did not let you sit on a chair at the range.

What I learned in boot camp is you need to check the number of your target and, for some, not ever having had a weapon in your hands is better than having bad habits.

We had a Jewish sharpshooter from NYC who never had a firearm in his hands until the USN put it there. He was afraid NOT to do exactly as he was trained.

Instead of discouraging firearms with laws that infringe, they should provide training for every head of household, if not every adult. The government should provide ranges and a low cost ammo allotment for every citizen who wants to increase their proficiency. It would lower the cost of public safety.

But, then, that would require planning, would work, and makes sense, any one of which the US government obviously is terrified to do and punishes those who advocate it as employees.

Oh, by the way, most of my ancestors were forced into servitude by having their lands taken in Scotland and Ireland. I suspect they never learned "English" or to like anything "English." I speak AmeriCAN. If you do not speak my language, then when I say "Watch out," you are going to be hit by that bus.

#16 JohnLloydScharf, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  17. The_Gun_Guru

Could not agree more!!!:wavey:

TGG