close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone use DT 200 gr WFNGC 40 S&W?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by NonPCnraRN, Aug 24, 2010.

1. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone have any experience with Double Tap 200 gr WFNGC 40 S&W ammo? I bought a box and the bullet has the largest meplat (.32 inch) of any hardcast FN ammo whether 40 or 45 cal. I figured it could serve as SD ammo for both 2 and 4 legged critters. I prefer penetration over expansion and the large meplat should ensure a large wound cavity. I was just wondering if anyone has any actual experience using this ammo. I will be using it in my G23 and G27 and I choose not to worry about whether a HP will expand or not or whether the target has hide and fur vs a leather jacket and extra clothing layers.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Daryl in Az

Daryl in Az
    Expand Collapse
    Enjoying life!

I don't doubt for a second that it'll work fine as a SD load.

I would personally be a bit concerned about shooting lead through my G23 though, since I use the stock barrel.

I like typing with both hands, after all.

Daryl

3. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP
    Expand Collapse

+1

Additionally, the DT 200gr WFNGC is more of a hunting/backwoods round. If you're stompin' around the woods more than the concrete, then this would be a good choice for double duty. If not, stick w/heavier JHPs for social work & on the days when you'll be in the woods, pack a mag or 2 of the other stuff & you should be just fine.

4. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN
    Expand Collapse

I was informed by both Buffalo Bore and the owner of Double Tap that hardcast bullets (BHN21) don't cause the problems associated with softer cast target alloy or swaged bullets. I may go to an aftermarket barrel with a match chamber for reloading the brass. It should be noted that BB strongly advises against use of a factory barrel with their +P 40 S&W ammo due to pressure levels in generously sized Glock chambers, not because they are loaded with hardcast bullets. Double Tap said their ammo was ok in Glock barrels.

5. Jr.

Jr.
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

I had no problems using it in my xd40 5"bbl. They hit HARD, the closest your 40 will ever get to a 10mm.

6. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker
    Expand Collapse

No problem with function in my Glock 22.

7. NoJoy

NoJoy
    Expand Collapse

I need to know how much pressure +P.40 is. Did BB strengthen the case? If it is +P, that pressure has to be over 40,000psi-wow. :wow:

8. CHLChris

CHLChris
    Expand Collapse

I am resurrecting an old thread, but this round will be in my Glock 27 on an upcoming trip to Yellowstone. I'm going to test a handful of these at the range, but they're so expensive! I'll come back and describe my experiences. As long as this thread is back alive, does anybody extra have fresh experiences with this round?

9. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron
    Expand Collapse

Chris, I have not shot anything with it yet. But I carry it when I am in bear country. I shoot it either out of my G23 with an aftermarket Barrel or an M&P pro core with factory barrel. I've shot a box or 2 at the range and no issues so far.

10. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker
    Expand Collapse

I have run them through my Glock 22 with out an issue. It is the same bullet they load in their 10mm. I like their 200 grain FMJ load as well. Either will out penetrate the 180 grain FMJ's like UMC and American Eagle or the 180 grain Speer TMJ.

11. CHLChris

CHLChris
    Expand Collapse

I just ran a mag of them through my 27 at the range. The recoil was a bit stout compared to range ammo, but not bad. They were quite smokey, though. I was shooting at a range that requires use of their own ammo you buy from them at the desk and I was a bit worried they'd see the smoke and call me on it. Guess I was okay, though.

12. packinaglock

packinaglock
    Expand Collapse
    John 3:16
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

I use the DT 200g WFNGC Bear tooth 10 mm for hogs sometimes and they work well.

13. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

A 200-gr .40 S&W? I'd bet that it penetrates well.