close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone tie your own flies?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by jdfire43, Jul 12, 2009.

1. jdfire43

jdfire43
    Expand Collapse

I started saltwater fly fishing a couple of years ago & this year started tying my own flies. If anyone else ties post up some pics & when I get home tomorrow I will try to get some of mine posted.

2. Esox357

Esox357
    Expand Collapse

I also fly fish and fly tye. Mostly freshwater species bass, crappie, trout, and pike to name a few. No pics currently available but might put some up in the future. My father is a heck of a fly tier and a even better fisherman. I got the hunting genes so I tend to lean more towards that but do use some of the game hackles from the pheasants I have shot. I also get some squirrel hair for nymphs. Esox357.

3. nickE10mm

nickE10mm
    Expand Collapse
    F.S.F.O.S.

My grandpa taught me to tie flies when I was in my teens (I'm 29 now) but it's been so long since I did it that I forgot how.... :sorry:

4. Wet Dog

Wet Dog
    Expand Collapse

I enjoy tying flies especially when I can't actually go fishing. I like to use materials that are salvaged from harvested critters, found fur and feathers and rarely restrict myself to following a pattern exactly - the exception being a parachute Adams.

I probably catch the most fish on a Carey Special variation. They seem to work everywhere. Other patterns I like and use are Wooley buggers, Halfbacks, Elk Hair Caddis, Split tails and Junkyards. For the Salt I like Clousers and Miyawaki poppers (a Coho smashing a popper is about as exciting as flyfishing gets!).

[​IMG]
    Retired this dude after about a dozen maulings. Pheasant feathers, synthetic dubbing. Very simple but effective fly, see picture below of it working on a fat water bow.

[​IMG]

#4 Wet Dog, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009