close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anyone tie your own flies?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by jdfire43, Jul 12, 2009.

1. jdfire43

jdfire43

Nov 8, 2007
    FL Panhandle
    I started saltwater fly fishing a couple of years ago & this year started tying my own flies. If anyone else ties post up some pics & when I get home tomorrow I will try to get some of mine posted.

2. I also fly fish and fly tye. Mostly freshwater species bass, crappie, trout, and pike to name a few. No pics currently available but might put some up in the future. My father is a heck of a fly tier and a even better fisherman. I got the hunting genes so I tend to lean more towards that but do use some of the game hackles from the pheasants I have shot. I also get some squirrel hair for nymphs. Esox357.

3. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Apr 13, 2004
    Wichita, KS
    My grandpa taught me to tie flies when I was in my teens (I'm 29 now) but it's been so long since I did it that I forgot how.... :sorry:

4. I enjoy tying flies especially when I can't actually go fishing. I like to use materials that are salvaged from harvested critters, found fur and feathers and rarely restrict myself to following a pattern exactly - the exception being a parachute Adams.

I probably catch the most fish on a Carey Special variation. They seem to work everywhere. Other patterns I like and use are Wooley buggers, Halfbacks, Elk Hair Caddis, Split tails and Junkyards. For the Salt I like Clousers and Miyawaki poppers (a Coho smashing a popper is about as exciting as flyfishing gets!).

[​IMG]
    Retired this dude after about a dozen maulings. Pheasant feathers, synthetic dubbing. Very simple but effective fly, see picture below of it working on a fat water bow.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009