close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone shot the XD-M .45 ACP?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by OrangePwr9, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Was wondering how it stacks up to the Glocks. American Rifleman has a nice writeup on it. The sample they shot was reasonably accurate.
    Bob

2. skipsan

skipsan

Apr 24, 2010
    Shot mine for the first time yesterday--side-by-side with my G21. The XDM is a nice pistol--seems to be slightly more accurate in my hands. The trigger take-up 'till break seems slightly greater than the Glock, despite claims to the contrary by SA. The trigger pull is smoother, however with the XDM, with no herky-jerky gritty feel found in the Glock. The XDM grip is slightly slimmer than the G21 which is a plus for those of us without huge hands. The non-captured recoil spring on the XDM is a minor annoyance, but pretty trivial relative to the big picture.

Can't comment on the relative durability of the XDM and the G21. Don't know if the XD/XDMs have been accepted by LEOs or any military. My initial reaction is a definite preference for the XDM, but that is subject to change as my experience with the XDM grows. I might note, that I have absolutely no experience with XDs of any kind, being a hard core 1911 person experimenting on the dark side.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Is it out yet?

4. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Well, I guess it is. :embarassed:

5. sureshot

sureshot

Jul 31, 2003
    i called around yesterday and two of the local toy stores has em in stock
    i guess there are becoming available now
    as a side note one place said abt 569ish on the price while the other said 679
    big difference
    makes me wonder if the 569ish guy actually had one?
    sureshot

6. sureshot

sureshot

Jul 31, 2003
    also
    as im posting this i see an ad on the side bar showing they are shipping em
    in the ad is a bi-tone model. all i have seen or heard abt so far are the all black models does anyone have or has anyone seen a bi-tone?
    cause thats the model for me
    would also love to see a 3.8 bi-tone with a compact frame that would be abt the perfect ccw gun at least to me.
    sureshot

7. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I can't imagine $569. That must have been a standard XD45.

8. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    No, the XDm45's are going for $599 here at local gun/pawn shop and he usually has a higher than I want to pay price on his guns. He wants $560 for an American Classic II. If that tells you where he prices things.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  9. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

Jun 19, 2007
    TN
    I can't decide if I really like the look of the XD(M) (not the 3.8) or not. Obviously that shouldn't matter much, but I haven't even gotten a chance to handle one yet. That I should do soon.

10. cousin15

cousin15

Mar 26, 2010
    Michigan
    Do you know how it compares to the grip on the 20/21 SF models? I might have to go find one to hold...

11. sureshot

sureshot

Jul 31, 2003
    went to the local toy store today and held one. i have to say i wasnt that impressed
    it felt just like the regular xd to me
    it had a longer slide and seemed to be an overall bigger gun
    not meant for ccw work at all
    didnt see the justification of an extra 125 bucks over the price of a regular xd
    now if they would come out with a 3.8 with a compact frame even if it is a ten shot that would be a nice

oh well
    sureshot

12. skipsan

skipsan

Apr 24, 2010

The circumference of the grip on the G21 measured immediately below the trigger guard is 6". The same measurement on the XDM.45 is 5 5/8". Obviously not a precise measurement, but I'd claim accuracy within an eighth of an inch. (wrapped tape around each, and measured the length of the tape)

13. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

May 4, 2007
    Smallville
    You simply cant compare Croatian to Austrian or German. Way lower grade of steel, parts quality, no way to get spare parts,etc.

14. PAPACHUCK

PAPACHUCK

May 24, 2006
    Who Dat Nation
    Pure horse pucky.

15. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

Dec 30, 2004
    Northwest territory
    [​IMG]

I am an XD45 owner.....and a very happy one, at that! :supergrin:

I wouldn't purchase the XDm if I didn't already have the XD....but, I would, If I didn't have the earlier model.

One thing I find significant, is it should be fairly obvious to everyone that the Croats are bending over backwards to respond to criticism in the design of their XD line......(This is in stark contrast to Glock, who could care less what the end users think! :steamed:)

The main reason why most of the potential customers didn't buy the XD, is the complaint of "blockyness"......which lead to howls of negative criticism about high bore axis. The XD is blocky looking, but the bore axis thing was unfounded, and only because of "perceived" notions based on looks only. The "streamlining" of the design has ended all that discussion.

Internally, with exception of some disassembly aspects, I doubt that the XDm is any different than the XD. The main thing is not pulling the trigger to disassemble. This isn't a bad idea, and probably inspired by lawyers, more than anything else. Some dingbat was sure to pull the trigger on a live round......sooner, or later! :faint:

The looks of the XDm has improved, and the changeable backstraps are a really nice feature to have.

I'm really impressed that all the attacks on the grip safety hasn't changed anything.....the XDm still has it......and, I'm good with that! From my point of view, that grip safety is one thing that the XD and XDm have over the competition. This XD series is a safer pistol than anything else on the market because of that grip safety.

Anyway, I'm keeping my XD, but the improvements of the XDm are the result of a company that is doing EVERYTHING it can to get your business. :wavey:

hog

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  16. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Build the Wall

I regret selling my XD-45 Compact Tactical:crying:

Does the XDm-45 use the same 13-round magazines as the XD-45 full size?:dunno:

I still have eight of them that the buyer didn't want!:wow:

TGG

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  17. sureshot

sureshot

Jul 31, 2003
    yes it uses the same mags

18. tx787

tx787

Feb 11, 2010
    I saw a bi-tone at my lgs today I think it was $650ish. They had some other stuff that was much more interesting like a Gen1 G17 for $300 and a Sig P226 E2

19. Smallville = small minded :faint:

20. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

Jul 4, 1999
    West Texas
    I like the way the gun feels but just can't get over the whole croatian gun thingy, it's like the whole korean car thingy, many have drank the kool-aid but I can't do it. SA ought to be commended for taking a 200 dollar gun, the HS2000, that no one wanted and turning it into one of the most over hyped products in firearms history.