Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Anyone regret buying a G27?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Globetruck, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Globetruck

Jul 27, 2012
    I love my G23 gen 4 and my gen 3 G22 has been very reliable. I'd like to get a 27, but have heard a lot of mixed reviews due to the snappy recoil.

There's nowhere near me that rents the 27. And I don't know anyone who owns one.

Has anyone here bought the 27 and later regretted it and switched to the 26? I like .40 but want a gun that I can shoot 200-300 rounds through.

2. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    I have a gen 3 G27 that I use G23/32/19 mags and an XGrip with all the time. Don't have any trouble shooting it in 40/357/9mm at all with flush or extended mags. I've got standard and extended barrels in all three calibers too.

You worry too much.
    Get the G27 and if it's too much get a 40-9mm conversion barrel and some G26 mags.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

3. clancy

Feb 16, 2011
    I bought a G27 on a whim, and am sorry I did so. While it is reliable as any pistol I have ever owned, that is the only good thing I can say about it. Recoil is so bad that every one of 9 prospective buyers who have shot it have handed back with a firm, "no thanks". It wears a sore spot on the palm of my hand if I fire more than a couple of magazines through it. The recoil also, in rapid fire, literally twists the pistol up to the right and out of my hand, which can be very disconcerting to say the least. The trigger guard also has a tendency to cut my trigger finger when I fire it. Did I mention recoil? I find my S&W Model 66, with a 2 1/2 inch barrel, with 125grain .357's easier to handle.

Does that answer your question?
  4. No regrets. Like Barth said, you can always convert your 27 DOWN to 9mm if you think it's too snappy. I chuckle at the "snappy" comments here on GT. Sure, you're going to notice a baby Glock popping off .40 rounds, but it's VERY controllable and is usually credited with being MORE accurate than the 23 and 22. That's true in my case.

It's a very easily carried little powerhouse that still feels like a decent fighting handgun. I won't bad mouth the 9mm, but I'd rather have a .40 if a 26 and 27 were what I had to choose from. You won't be disappointed.
  5. tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
    I have one and I love it. My 14 year old son shoots it all the time and he's very accurate with it. I don't think its anymore snappy then a G23...
  6. Globetruck

Jul 27, 2012
    Good info so far. It's funny - I see hundreds of glowing reviews, and also a few well thought negative ones. I appreciate all of the first hand stories I can get (like these last 2 posts).

I just need to find a range that rents a G27. There's only 1 range in Alabama and it only rents the G26.
  7. SouthpawG26

Sep 4, 2004
    OP, if you already shoot a G22 and a G23 reasonably well, there's no reason to suspect you'll find the G27 an out of control recoil monster.
  8. floorburn_21

floorburn_21 .40 ftw

Feb 25, 2010
    Northern MN
    I love mine. The recoil is there but I don't find it to be anywhere as bad as some claim. I do run a +1 extension on my mags though.
  9. Jesus Clancy. Are you made of wax? Stipple that frame if its too slippery for you. No gun should be jumping out of your hand! I've ran as many as 300 rounds through mine in one sitting and NEVER had issues with the recoil. Of course recoil is perceived differently by different folks. Funny thing is,I've had other officers offer to BUY mine off me at the range. In fact about 90% of the officers in my dept. carry the 27 as a backup weapon and about 95% carry it off duty.

I'm a huge fan of the 27. It was my first Glock and it might very well be my "if I could only have one" Glock.
  10. clancy

Feb 16, 2011
    Thanks for the constructive criticism. Hogue's slip on grip works, too. I am just so turned off to the pistol that I don't even bother shooting it anymore. Strangely , most of the propective buyers who shot my pistol are cops, too.
  11. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    That's amazing - a lighter revolver easier to control? with 125gr .357?

Something is wrong with this picture.

Loaded the G27 is heavier, and the 2 rounds are very comparable in recoil.

Of course, one of the two is waaaaay more comfortable to carry...

Personally, I held the same view as you did Clancy - Then I shot a G27 - What a sweet shooting pistol.

Yes, with 180gr Lawman ammo it has some recoil, but it isn't nearly as bad as you report.

If you can handle the G23, you will have no problem with the G27. It's a great carry pistol, accurate, and very manageable.

Shucks, if you are in a self defense situation, you won't even notice the recoil... (LOL)

I say Go For It Globetruck! You *WILL* be glad you did... it will go everywhere with you - AND, unlike the S&W Model 66 you can run THREE different calibers through that Bad Boy - 9mm, .40, and .357Sig! The ability to run the additional calibers should run about $300 for barrels and magazines.

Hope that helps,

12. theSteve

Jun 17, 2012
    A gen4 27 was my very first glock and at first I was somewhat disappointed. Not because of the recoil which truly is not bad, but because of the accuracy. I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it standing 5 feet in front of it. So what I did was I bought a KKM barrel, added a tungsten steel guide rod and now, I am more accurate with that gun than I am with my gen4 21 or my ruger 22/45 with a red dot on it. Now my SP2340 .357 sig is a different story. That right there is a snipers pistol. Short story long, get the gun.
  13. clancy

Feb 16, 2011
    I certainly can't argue the Glock is easier to carry, nor can I argue that in a self defense situation recoil would be unnoticable. The difference I find is that my Smith recoils straight back, and the Glock twists up and to the right. I find the Smith much easier to control.
  14. wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    The G-27 was too snappy for me, and I did own one. I went with the G-26, but I'm a 9mm guy and am more accurate with 9mm, plus cheaper ammo to practice with.
  15. packinaglock

packinaglock John 3:16

May 1, 2007
    Loxahatchee Fl
    Wow, a couple of mags? The only time I had an issue was when I ran 300 rounds through my 27. My strong side (right) hand had a little tremor to it for about a half hour after leaving the range. the 27 really isn't that bad, I carry 155g Gold Dots in mine which have a little bite but there are milder carry rounds out there.
  16. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Oct 20, 2009
    Eastern NC
    Get it. I carried a 23 daily for about 2 years and couldn't wait until I could buy my own 27(turned 21 two weeks ago). I love the 27 to carry, however, shooting it is not 'fun'. I put 250 rounds through it the week i bought it to check function and while it wasn't exactly fun to do so, i didn't come away with any damaged wrists or even a little stain on my inner confidence.

Recoil is somewhat sharp with self defense loads, but I wouldnt' say it's anywhere near intermediate .357 recoil. I put one of my 15 round magazines through it when I was blasting ammo, and recoil settled down more than I expected it would.

I have a 23 if i want to play and a 24 if I want to compete. The G27 + spare G23 magazine for CC.
  17. tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
    Clancy your right the G27 is junk and no one wants it. I tell you what I will give you $200 cash and pay the shipping for you to send it to my FFL guy. Im just doing this to help you out in getting rid of it...
  18. Droid noob

Droid noob

May 27, 2012
    I just bought gen4 g27 and love it. I don't think the recoil is bad at all. I put 200 rounds through it last Sunday and my hand was totally fine.

I will say the 27 was sliding up in my hand on consecutive shots. The fix for this was gap floorplates. Now this thing is locked in my hand!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
  19. KA5IVR

Sep 20, 2009
    I have a Gen 3 g27 and a Gen 3 g26. I heard about the snappy recoil of the 27 and I was expecting the worst when I first shot it. Turned out that it was not much more from the 26. I like it and I have not had any trouble out of it.
  20. packinaglock

packinaglock John 3:16

May 1, 2007
    Loxahatchee Fl
    What general area do you live? I'm sure many GTers would let you shoot theirs if you met them at the range. My 21 year old daughter shoots mine just fine and so does my 14 year old son.