close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone put 9mm conversion barrel in 40 S&W? Glock 35...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by danattherock, Nov 5, 2011.

1. danattherock

danattherock

I am getting started in reloading and will be loading for one 9mm, my wife's Beretta PX4 compact. I shoot 40 S&W mostly, but figured what the heck, will be rolling 9 mm anyway, why not get a 9mm. Saw some guns today at LGS, but nothing that I couldn't live without. On way home, got to thinking about just dropping a 9 mm conversion barrel in my Glock 35 (40 S&W).

Has anyone done this and if so what barrel make? I just got a KKM standard length in the mail today for my G20. Have not shot it yet, but looks nice. That is the first aftermarket barrel I have bought so I am pretty green to barrels.

I assume you just need a 9 mm conversion barrel (and new recoil spring/rod) and some 9 mm magazines. Any suggestions on where to buy these items? How would I ensure they fit the Glock 35?

Should I anticipate any feeding issues?

Any problems with accuracy?

Reason I ask, this is strictly a target pistol. Looking at putting a Vanek trigger in it. Sent him an email just tonight and will decide what trigger soon.

Thanks for any info.

-Dan

2. bruzer

bruzer

3. alexcapone

alexcapone

Let me know what you decide. I want to get a ported 9mm conversion barrel for my G35. I believe stormlake and lonewolf make a ported conversion barrel for the G35 that doesn't extend past the muzzle.

4. danattherock

danattherock

Found an old thread about lone wolf and it was a jamming deal. The weight of the slide and such was in question. Barrel diameter reduced to 9mm makes for more mass in 9mm than the same in 40. Also, it was unclear if the guy switched springs. If not, that would explain much. Which reminds me, any suggestion on what size spring for 9mm? I have never bought or shopped for 9mm springs.

5. slims00ls1z28

slims00ls1z28

My wife has a lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel for her G27. Only thing we did was drop it in and get some 9mm mags. Haven't had a single problem yet, goes bang every time, ejects every time.

6. eaglesfan55

eaglesfan55 (>'-')>

im pretty sure all but the 'large frame' .45's have 18lb recoil springs. I doubt you'll have an issue.

7. G23G21

G23G21

I've got a LoneWolf conversion barrel for my G23 that also works in my G27. The G23 is dead on with 115gr ammo, but the G27 is a bit off to the right (guess I need a bit of practice with that one). HTH

8. danattherock

danattherock

9. danattherock

danattherock

Any opinion on Storm Lake barrels?

Saw they offer a ported barrel which would work nice with the slide cut out on the G35.

Had been thinking about KKM, but the Storm Lake looks interesting.

Especially curious if anyone has had any reliability issues with aftermarket conversion barrels.

Thanks for any comment.

-Dan

10. abq87120

abq87120

I have a G23. I bought the LWD 9mm and 357 Sig barrels. Other than using 9mm mags, no other mods. The 115g WWB 9mm's tend to stove pipe once every 50 rounds or so in my newer gun. I think the recoil spring isn't "broken in" yet. 124g 9mm's shoot just fine. It's fairly accurate in all three calibers. I like the 357 Sigs. Their recoil is more of a push than a flip.

11. scattershot

scattershot

I use a Lone Wolf conversion barrel in a G23 and a 27, with no problems. I also have another brand that I use in a Browning Hi Power, again with no problems. I just change the barrel, use the appropriate magazine, and shoot.

12. danattherock

danattherock

Sounds good.

Are you guys using lighter recoil springs?

Meaning, if going from 40 to 9mm, do you pick up a lighter spring for when shooting 9mm?

13. alexcapone

alexcapone

I can't compare the effectiveness of the two barrels but I know that LWD is considerably cheaper. I don't like the shape of the ports for either LWD or Storm Lake..they are circular. I like the porting style of EFK. They resemble the factory porting style that Glock does on their "C" models.

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/glock1.html?pg=2

14. BenEnglish

BenEnglish

I put a Lone Wolf 9mm bbl in my G24, got some 9mm mags, and it works just fine. Ejection is not forceful; sometimes the empty winds up sitting on top of my right hand against the slide. It just sort of falls out of the ejection port and lies there. Still, it always works and I didn't have to do any "fitting" (I wouldn't have any idea how) or change springs.

I have enough confidence in the combination to use it for Glock Indoor League shooting.

15. danattherock

danattherock

Thanks guys.

What about accuracy?

Being that I have the stock fixed sights, would the 40 and 9 still be on target? Curious if there will be any change at point of impact. Well, any notable change of impact I should say. Still trying to figure out if I should just buy a 9mm, but like the idea of letting my G35 pull double duty if possible. Looking to put a Vanek trigger in it. An aftermarket barrel. That gets pricey if doing to two guns.

-Dan

16. scattershot

scattershot

I don't change springs in the Glocks, but I have a lighter one for the Browning .40. They must have gotten a deal on old bear traps or something!

No change in POI, either, up close, but I don't shoot those pistols very far, anyway.

17. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I have the 9mm and the .357 Sig barrels for my G27. I have not had a single issue with either and I also use the 13 and 15 round magazines with them. I just picked up the 9mm magazines and use the .40 for the Sig.

No problems.

18. HK Dan

HK Dan

Storm Lake is the way to go. And you don'[t need to change springs unless you want to. Just load your 9mm a little hot and you'll be fine.

19. bophi

bophi

tried a 9mm conv, bbl. in my g22 , with 115 gr. bullets it would not eject any rds. use a hotter load. i got a 13 # spring but have not tried it yet

20. danattherock

danattherock

I will order the Storm Lake barrel tomorrow. Heard back from them with answers to a few questions. Sounds like warranty is good as long as I don't go over Saami specs on reloads. They said they could have the barrel to me in 10 days. Not bad.

Going with the 4 port as it will be located in the cut out of the G35. Sounds like the barrel, two 9 mm mags, and a lighter spring or two to play with will be needed.

One question, what model Glock do I order the 9 mm mags for? Got a 35, would I order 9 mm mags for the model 34? Curious what 9 mm models will be the same size mags.

-Dan

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011