close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Anyone owned or shot a SPAS 12?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by KennyFSU, Nov 14, 2012.

1. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
    Can you provide me with some feedback? The model I'm looking at has the "dreaded lever safety" but would that be a deal-breaker? How common is that issue? After my S12 I've been hooked on anything semi-auto and 12ga, and the SPAS can fire pump at the push of a button.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
    I don't like to throw around the r-word but maybe these guns are just too "rare" for people to have any experience with them lol.

3. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX AZ
    Never handled a spas but my Benelli M3 is also "convertible" and a blast to shoot!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    The SPAS is a nice shotgun, but I would pass on it, and get a Benelli M4.

[​IMG]

:cool:

5. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
    Great suggestions, thanks guys. I've never owned a Benelli before but that M4 looks really nice.

I guess the SPAS is just another old, outdated gun that has been replaced by guns like the M3 and M4.

6. The SPAS wasn't known for its reliability. It's a collectors firearm with the lack of spare parts.

7. flyover

flyover

Oct 25, 2012
    Western Kansas
    I have one and the are a blast to shoot!! You can put anything from light trap loads to the heaviest slug/buckshot loads (2 3/4" only) through it just by pushing a button.

The bad news is yes parts are hard to find and the safty is an issue. For good information on the SPAS 12 go here: www.spas.com. Chris makes a few parts for the gun and has lots of information.

8. Your link doesn't work.

9. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

Nov 29, 2010
    DFW
    A friend let me shoot his year ago. I remember it being VERY heavy.

10. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
    Yeah, that's what I read and the biggest complaint; I believe it's around 9.5 lbs unloaded. That, and the lever safety has been known to cause a AD without even touching the trigger.

This is the link: http://spas12.com/index.htm

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  11. flyover

flyover

Oct 25, 2012
    Western Kansas
    KenneyFSU, thanks for catching my mistake. Sometimes my fingers don't connect with the keyboard and my proofreading skills suck.

12. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
    No problem, thank you for your review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    A guy at the range had one a few years ago. I recognized it and couldn't help but be gravitated towards it hoping to strike up a conversation about it. I guess he's used to it, because he was quite nice and willing to talk about it.

He let me fire a few rounds from in trade for shooting a few rounds out of an SKS I had back then.

I have been sitting here trying to recall the details of the few rounds I shot, but I can't even recall if I was shooting shot or buck, and cant recall if it was on pump or semi-auto when I fired it. That is going to drive me crazy.

I do recall it being deceptively heavy. I frequent this range and have not seen him back there. He had some other pretty cool toys as well.

14. I've shot one a bit. They ARE heavy, and other than the Mad Max looks, don't offer anything more modern designs do better. I wouldn't trade an 1100 or certainly my M1 for one. I used to want an M3 for the cross-functionality of it but in reality I don't know that any perceived advantage is worth the trade off in weight and complexity.

15. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
    Thanks for the insight all, the seller ended up selling it so it's a done deal.

16. harleypower69

harleypower69

Jul 19, 2010
    Had one but sold it and went to the M 4 Benelli. Spas was very heavy.

17. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Handled half a dozen, shot one.

Other than being one of the first purpose-built combat shotguns and a semi/pump, the SPAS is an antique.

Everything it does, the Benelli M3 and M4 do better.